News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Re: Range Finders
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2021, 08:33:39 AM »
I am always caught by surprise in this day and age when I play with somebody who is serious about their game and does NOT have a range finder.

But the constant that I find with those guys is how often they ask you to tell them a distance.  Not just to the pin, but to the water.  Or a bunker.  Or the big tree on the corner of the dogleg. 

I get the purist arguments; I really do.  But not only has that genie left the lamp, never to return, but there's another side to this that I'm dealing with at age 68.  I've had 8 procedures on my right eye in the last 3 years, and it's just shot.  My depth perception is completely screwed up, and without some sort of help with how far to hit the ball, I'd be lost; not sure I would enjoy playing anymore.  I'm still playing to a single digit, and still playing competitively as much as I can, but I don't think I could do it without the help.  I've learned (and am still learning...) some "workarounds" for chipping and putting, which have become really problematic, but the distance thing doesn't work that way.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2021, 09:04:27 AM »
Can we stop pretending that the difference between 114 and 121 yds doesn't matter. As a slow swinging senior I choose between six different clubs from 150 to 100 yds. On the increasingly rare occasions I do get that close to a green in regulation I can't afford to miss due to poor information. On an even more ridiculous example once you know exactly how far you hit your 62 deg wedge knowing if you are three yds outside its range is essential for success.

This is exactly why I'm still not over the fact that my caddie at Pinehurst #2 would only use his watch to give me distances. Probably the most vital 3 yd course in the world.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2021, 10:47:39 AM »
Can we stop pretending that the difference between 114 and 121 yds doesn't matter. As a slow swinging senior I choose between six different clubs from 150 to 100 yds.

You're right. When I was younger the distance between clubs was much larger. Now maybe 8 yards, some days even less. The carry is important information I want to know. I don't think a range finder will help TOUR pros much, however, with all the information the caddie has.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jason Topp

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2021, 10:57:22 AM »
Bushnell  has quite the marketing effort going with this tournament.   It seems as if every YouTube golf channel is extolling the advantages of range finders. 

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2021, 01:57:48 PM »
Can we stop pretending that the difference between 114 and 121 yds doesn't matter. As a slow swinging senior I choose between six different clubs from 150 to 100 yds. On the increasingly rare occasions I do get that close to a green in regulation I can't afford to miss due to poor information. On an even more ridiculous example once you know exactly how far you hit your 62 deg wedge knowing if you are three yds outside its range is essential for success.

This is exactly why I'm still not over the fact that my caddie at Pinehurst #2 would only use his watch to give me distances. Probably the most vital 3 yd course in the world.
John,

The absurd part of the "you're not good enough" argument about the difference between 114 and 121 isn't whether or not I'm good enough.  It's the idea that there is any other way to express distance except accurately.

Yardage books, pacing, sprinkler heads, 150 markers, rulers, tape measures, odometers, whatever; NOTHING says "Well, it's about 115, more or less, but you're not good enough know more than that."  Google maps doesn't tell me that it's about 400 miles but that it could be as little as 350 or as much as 450; it gives me a precise distance.

Distance is measured in precise units, ALWAYS.  That doesn't mean that the precise measure is necessary; it's just the way distance is measured.

And I wouldn't tip a caddie at Bushwood that only used a watch, much less at #2.  I can't even believe they let him out on the course doing that.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Dave Doxey

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2021, 08:23:00 AM »

Rangefinders exist and are becoming legal in the pro game for one reason only – there is money to be made in selling them.  Money talks in golf today.

Marketing has convinced players that rangefinders help them score.  I play with a group that will spend minutes unpacking the rangefinder from their bags, debate who’s rangefinder is correct when the three devices report different yardages, finally decide that the pin is 210 away, scuff their shots about 80 yards, then repeat the whole procedure.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2021, 08:47:30 AM »

Rangefinders exist and are becoming legal in the pro game for one reason only – there is money to be made in selling them.  Money talks in golf today.

Marketing has convinced players that rangefinders help them score.  I play with a group that will spend minutes unpacking the rangefinder from their bags, debate who’s rangefinder is correct when the three devices report different yardages, finally decide that the pin is 210 away, scuff their shots about 80 yards, then repeat the whole procedure.

Sounds like you need a better group.
Mr Hurricane

David_Tepper

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2021, 09:39:08 AM »

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2021, 10:28:54 AM »
I think range finders are fantastic for the "retail golfer" who really only wants to know 1) how far to pin and 2) how far to a hazard.

The "better" golfer (and tour pro) wants 1) cover yardage 2) front of green yardage and 3) pin yardage.
Then that is calculated with the yardage plate/sprinkler head on the course that shows center of green yardage.

Wont speed play on tour as interviews this week indicated.
But, it will spark unit sales and, as someone points out above, that is the name of the game today in all sports and all industries in today's climate.

mike_beene

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2021, 11:41:18 PM »
I can’t keep up with a can of diet 7up on the course. I would lose a rangefinder in one round.
On a related note, is there anything more stupid than a sprinkler head that says “dream on”? Tell me it’s 300 so I will have a clue laying up.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2021, 05:01:34 AM »
I can’t keep up with a can of diet 7up on the course. I would lose a rangefinder in one round.
On a related note, is there anything more stupid than a sprinkler head that says “dream on”? Tell me it’s 300 so I will have a clue laying up.
Mike what course has the dream on? Funny, but yeah put the yardage for the layup.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2021, 11:15:17 PM »
I have become someone who cares a lot less about what others do on a course as long as they keep up (along with playing music, drinking some beer, riding on a perfect day, etc.).

I have a rangefinder and use it frequently. I don't do this as much on my home course, but if I'm playing somewhere new, I'm probably also using a golf GPS app on my phone and looking at front-middle-back yardage on my Apple Watch (I use the Hole 19 app).

I like having yardages as I feel like having to think about which shots I want to hit keeps me mentally engaged in the round vs. getting sloppy.

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2021, 05:49:48 AM »
The near future, perhaps: the tour allows range-finding tablets & apps, and the networks link that data to on-screen graphics in real time, so we can see exactly what the player-caddie are seeing & discussing -- like with Steve Austin (The Six Million Dollar Man) and his bionic eye. As Jim says, a full GPS + GC Quad Pro image that lets us plan and track the shot from start to finish (and 'read' distance, wind direction and elevation changes, and then spin rate, club-head & ball speed, launch & attack angle, and smash factor). I think they'd call it a 'fully immersive and interactive experience', and maybe they will even sell those VR googles so we can 'get inside the action'. It'll be fun, and make watching golf on television more interesting.

😎

There is something to be said for making sure golfers have more gizmos.

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 06:09:25 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2021, 06:39:28 AM »
With range finders we will see more brain and swing doctors on the bag. Brothers, wives, lovers and pastors. Maybe even an occasional celebrity. A refreshing change from the pro luggermeister that can pace off to within three hairs of a rats ass.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2021, 07:02:22 AM »
The near future, perhaps: the tour allows range-finding tablets & apps, and the networks link that data to on-screen graphics in real time, so we can see exactly what the player-caddie are seeing & discussing -- like with Steve Austin (The Six Million Dollar Man) and his bionic eye. As Jim says, a full GPS + GC Quad Pro image that lets us plan and track the shot from start to finish (and 'read' distance, wind direction and elevation changes, and then spin rate, club-head & ball speed, launch & attack angle, and smash factor). I think they'd call it a 'fully immersive and interactive experience', and maybe they will even sell those VR googles so we can 'get inside the action'. It'll be fun, and make watching golf on television more interesting.
😎
There is something to be said for making sure golfers have more gizmos.
Ciao
The phrase "He who dies with the most toys wins".
A more serious position from some tour caddies - https://www.thetourcaddies.com/blog/lets-speed-up-professional-golf
atb

Tim Martin

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2021, 07:08:12 AM »

I’ve seen variations of “dream on” at different courses. CC of Farmington in Connecticut has one marked “just hit it” on their par five 9th hole.

JohnVDB

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2021, 07:56:33 AM »

I’ve seen variations of “dream on” at different courses. CC of Farmington in Connecticut has one marked “just hit it” on their par five 9th hole.

I saw one years ago on a par 5 they said something like “Why are you looking here?” Someone took a sharpie and wrote”To figure out my layup yardage.”

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2021, 08:02:30 AM »
So, is it illegal for caddies to take texts and then relate the info to the player?  We all saw the Phil/Mom interactions.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2021, 09:44:56 AM »

Tower Ridge (RIP) had a couple, too.

There's one or two at PGA Village on the Dye course that say simply, "THE DYE EXPERIENCE."

And there are some more creative ones elsewhere; see the comments on this article.

The rangefinders during the PGA were surprisingly unobtrusive, IMO. I had figured only the caddies would really be using them but then I saw both Phil and Tim Mickelson holding their own on a couple shots, which was amusing. The devices really don't provide better information than the very detailed yardage books those guys use; they just provide some of it a little faster. I expect we'll see them across the board in pro events in the next couple years.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2021, 09:55:49 AM »
This is pure union busting. Caddies should have never protested bib adverts. When it comes to fucking over the working man some of the best minds play golf.

JESII

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2021, 10:21:08 AM »
That's funny...the thought that these guys are getting screwed...

Hook placed John...

Dan Smoot

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2021, 11:25:12 AM »
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk and cut with an axe.  My rangefinder is much more accurate than my ability to consistently hit the distance it tells me to.  Where it really helps me is selecting my club when I am far offline.  Great invention.  No pacing off markers or sprinkler heads.  Does it really improve my game.  Probably not.  It does speed up play for the average golfer who strays a little.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2021, 11:27:37 AM »
That's funny...the thought that these guys are getting screwed...

Hook placed John...

Caddie money had no right to grow as fast as the modern purse. I'll be surprised if we don't soon see 75% of all players "keep it in the family". A turning point was the Kuchar fiasco.

JESII

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2021, 11:35:56 AM »
I am of the understanding that Tiger changed the caddie compensation agreement for top guys. The very top.

I believe he paid a high guaranteed salary and a year end bonus. Nothing about percentages of winnings.  I suspect every caddy would prefer that model. Problem is, the guy at #100 on the money list would need to over pay to keep a caddy he wants so he'd rather give him a percentage of the lottery ticket.

The caddies make exactly what the players want them to make...which is exactly what the players feel they earn.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2021, 11:55:36 AM »

The caddies make exactly what the players want them to make...which is exactly what the players feel they earn.

In a moment of generosity I'll say that range finders only take away 20% of a great caddies skill set. Even at that the needle will be moved. Interesting that this happened at the PGA. Riffs start early in life and rarely go all the way away.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back