News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Man discovers dormant MacKenzie golf course
« on: May 17, 2021, 01:42:58 PM »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Flory

Re: Man discovers dormant MacKenzie golf course
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 02:01:58 PM »
That's great!  I love the part where he found the old cups with a metal detector. 

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 02:39:08 PM »
Fascinating article in today’s New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/16/sports/golf/rhayader-mackenzie-augusta-course.html

Do you need the paid subscription?  Whats the Cliff Notes version?  Where is it?
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 03:32:16 PM »
Short story:  A guy lives in Rhayader in Wales and becomes obsessed with a big parcel of land that looks like it might’ve been a golf course. He surveys the property with some help and then does some research that suggests Mackenzie had built a course there.

He goes out with a metal detector and finds some old golf hole cups. Then he finds some routing information and he cobbles together a golf course for a one- day charity outing.

A very interesting article. Wish I could send a better link but this is from my NYT app.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 03:35:42 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 04:37:03 PM »
See this old GCA thread about the MacKenzie course at Rhayader which has had various updates added including some recently - https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52664.0.html
Atb

Ira Fishman

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 04:38:31 PM »
I wish I had accomplished something as creative and rewarding during the pandemic.

Ira

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 05:35:06 PM »
I wish I had accomplished something as creative and rewarding during the pandemic.

Ira

Almost unimaginable.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 09:34:58 PM »
Just saw the other, older, and more provocative thread. Please delete this one..,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back