News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

New Nine Holer planned for Irvine
« on: May 12, 2021, 02:18:24 PM »

https://www.irvinetimes.com/news/19296068.irvine-golf-new-nine-hole-course-planned-near-beach-park/
https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/plans-submitted-for-brand-new-ayrshire-golf-course

Developers have submitted plans to build a brand new nine-hole golf course on the Ayrshire coast.

According to the Irvine Times, an application for an Environmental Impact Assessment screening was validated by North Ayrshire’s planning department last week.

The new facility is expected to include a golf course, putting green, reception building, starters hut, car parking, maintenance compound and offices located to the north of Marine Drive in Irvine, and adjacent to the existing Irvine Beach Park.

The course is being developed by the acclaimed Kimber & Glen architecture firm, which worked on the development of Machrihanish Dunes and the Castle Course in St Andrews.

This isn't the first time the site has been looked at for development. Back in 2013, it was earmarked for an £60m, 18-hole golf course development, complete with adjoining hotel, and holiday homes.

The project was drawn up by The Ayrshire Golf Company, a joint venture between property investment and development company Credential Holdings Limited and KPT Limited. It passed the planning stages but it is believed that it was unable to source the necessary funding to underwrite the building costs.

However, with its slimmed down ambitions, it appears as though the project could still see the light of day.

Planning documents for the new project state: “The proposed development will contribute positively to the wider aspirations of North Ayrshire Council by providing a new, world class visitor and tourist attraction, whilst also improving and restoring the landscape and enhancing local biodiversity.”

This is just the latest new golf course in development in Scotland. Previously abandoned plans for Coul Links in the Highlands have recently been resurrected, with site of the former Nigg Golf Course also the target for restoration.

The long-mooted Feddinch Golf Course near St Andrews is back on the agenda, as is the Jack Nicklaus-designed track at the Ury Estate near Stonehaven and a second course at Trump International Golf Links just to the north of Aberdeen.

Adam Lawrence

Re: New Nine Holer planned for Irvine
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 04:01:44 PM »
This project has, as the story says, been bubbling under for a long time. It's the brainchild of Brian Keating, the Aussie guy who was the original developer of Machrihanish Dunes until Southworth bought him out and got the course finished (I presume that's where the connection to Paul Kimber and Niall Glen comes from).

Will be interesting to see if it now happens.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 05:52:56 PM »
Good luck to them. That's a pretty tough neighbourhood to compete in!
😲
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 07:39:52 PM »
Niall Glen was involved in the design for the original proposal from what I recall. Other than being sand there isn't actually much by way of features on the ground and it is a tight site to get 18 on. IIRC as well the original proposal was a par 71 which reflected that.

As an aside, look how brown Gailes looks in the photo.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 04:30:47 AM »
Niall Glen was involved in the design for the original proposal from what I recall. Other than being sand there isn't actually much by way of features on the ground and it is a tight site to get 18 on. IIRC as well the original proposal was a par 71 which reflected that.

As an aside, look how brown Gailes looks in the photo.

Niall

The original proposal was a mix of links and brownfield. Not quite sure exactly how this plays out.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 04:58:12 AM »
Being American and having lived in So Cal for 10 years, I was thinking Irvine, California. Being in a pricey area (OC) and somewhat landlocked I was thinking, wow really? If a new course were to be developed in Irvine it would be prohibitively expensive and could only see it happening as an anchor to a new exclusive development, i.e. Shady Canyon or such.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 01:32:41 PM »
Being American and having lived in So Cal for 10 years, I was thinking Irvine, California. Being in a pricey area (OC) and somewhat landlocked I was thinking, wow really? If a new course were to be developed in Irvine it would be prohibitively expensive and could only see it happening as an anchor to a new exclusive development, i.e. Shady Canyon or such.

::)

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 04:06:20 AM »
Adam

I recall speaking to a couple of acquaintances who were involved in a peripheral way and IIRC there was talk of shifting the road plus a gas pipeline running adjacent which wouldn't have been cheap.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back