News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Re:Architecture in Myrtle Beach? (is there any?)
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2003, 04:44:56 PM »
George P:

I've returned to the Palmetto State many times because of close friends I have there. My reference point to college days was not simply that I had played in the past and had not returned. I frequent the state fairly regularly and try to stay in touch with those who recommend playing selected courses of note.

tck

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2003, 07:52:56 PM »
While courses in Myrtle Beach cannot compare to Bandon, Pebble, Whistling Straits, or even courses within driving distance such as those at Pinehurst and Kiawah, golf on the Grand Strand can be quite fun and somtimes challenging with variety and sheer quantity that should provide at least moderate enjoyment.

That said -
Skip the TPC course - it is an unintersting course that the Sr. Tour abandoned a few year's back and one that you should pass over.

Heed the advice of many here and check out the Strantz designs at Caledonia and True Blue (but try to ignore the ninth at Caledonia where it looks like Mr. Strantz drew up a 17 hole layout and had to stick one more in to make it 18).

The Cobb-designed Surf Club (mentioned previously here) is an excellent and challenging (over 6800 from the back) traditional layout that was built long before Myrtle Beach began to attract such renowned architects as John Daly (Wicked Stick) and Lanny Wadkins (aforementioned TPC).

Other notable courses include River's Edge, Heather Glen (a fun Byrd/Johnson design) and Tidewater.

I'll be down in that area next week for Thanksgiving and already have rounds planned at the Surf Club.   If you're going to be in the area, let me know and we'll put you down in a spot in our group.

tck

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2003, 07:55:13 PM »
Mr. Hurricane,

Gator Hole is in fact a shopping center with a good Chik Fil A and Home Depot - much better use of the land, but it is called the Gator Hole Center.

Another course that shuttered recently was Robbers Roost, but that land has not been put to any other use - the course can still be seen through the weeds and high grass - maybe a good spot for a renovation or new design.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back