News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Courses all over the world are in jeopardy. Just ask Royal North Devon.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Emerson

I’ll venture to say we might see “billions” spent over the next decade on securing soil/land next to the ocean.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tony Ristola

I’ll venture to say we might see “billions” spent over the next decade on securing soil/land next to the ocean.

WaPo has a paywall... that said...

Nils Axel Morner disagrees.

Make of it what you will... but looking at both sides and a vigorous discussion should be mandatory.

Coast lines have shifted since this planet has been in its current iteration. Just google earth Kiawah Ocean Course to see how dramatic the shift has been in that one small area.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 10:17:36 AM by Tony Ristola »

Jason Thurman

Nils Axel Morner is dead. Prior to that, he was alive and demonstrably, measurably, incorrect.

The vigorous discussion happened for a solid two decades, starting about four decades ago. If Kiawah residents want to keep being Kiawah residents, it's time to stop indulging mouth-breathers with vigorous chitchat and start spending money on infrastructure to deal with problems that are already raising their heads, regularly, today.

It's too bad the article is behind a paywall. There's some really great irony in it, like the part where a guy who publicly calls climate change a "Chinese hoax" also is asking for government-sponsored protection to the coastline of his seaside course.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

JDutton

More tedious pearl-clutching...

Oceans rise, oceans recede.
Temperatures go up, temperatures go down.
Rain falls, rain doesn't fall....winds blow, winds are calm.

Ya'll new to this planet ?

Get over yourselves.

John Emerson

More tedious pearl-clutching...

Oceans rise, oceans recede.
Temperatures go up, temperatures go down.
Rain falls, rain doesn't fall....winds blow, winds are calm.

Ya'll new to this planet ?

Get over yourselves.

You’re correct on all account.  Too bad it’s only a true statement if we are talking about millennia, and not the last 40 years. You sir are delusional and in complete denial if you are suggesting that climate change is not happening for the worse of man-kind.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Jason Thurman

Leave JDutts be. I was more than pearl clutchy enough to trigger him.

The article... which isn't pearl clutchy at all, and is low enough on big words that even guys who think they know more than the entire global scientific community can probably understand the general gist of it... is genuinely interesting. The good news is, the golf course might be more likely to survive the next 50 years than almost anything else on the island (with the obvious caveat that Nils Axel Morner might invent a planetary refrigerator or something).

So Kiawah has that going for it. Along with lots of money. I was laughing my ass off early in the article at the idea that some community would spend billions staving off climate change like it was all up to them, but I don't know, it sounds like they could potentially create a strong enough local infrastructure to...

... (there's only one way to put it)...

... stem the tide.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back