News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

tomgoutman

Boulder, CO
« on: April 26, 2021, 01:04:34 PM »
Considering a move to Boulder, CO. Any recommendations for golf courses? Are there any good private courses in the Boulder area? Thanks.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Boulder, CO
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 01:19:45 PM »
I played Boulder CC many years ago. It is a nice, but not great. course. It is pretty flat and walkable. I played with a couple who had been members for many years who just loved the club. It seems to have an active membership. Boulder is a great place to live, albeit very expensive. Press Maxwell is  responsible for the course as it configured now. If I moved there I think I could be happy to be a member.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 02:45:10 PM »
One of my best pals just moved there and he is a serious golf snob.

He reported that, while the pickings were slim, he joined:

https://www.lakevalley.com/default.aspx?p=dynamicmodule&pageid=7&ssid=100030&vnf=1

Press or Perry Maxwell design.
Good greens and in good shape.

His other clubs would make us all blush so he's a good guy to connect with.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 04:08:53 PM »
I loved Lake Valley (played the Snake Fest there with a buddy one year), but quite an adjustment walking the course there vs. here in Chicago. I recall the first hole had an elevated green, and I kind of quickly pushed my cart up the hill to reach the green. . . only to almost pass out gasping for air. Kind of fun hitting 180 yard 7 irons tho.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 05:06:36 PM »
I have played a few of the courses up that way. I agree the pickings are a bit slim, but Lake Valley is definitely a good option. TPC Colorado is a good course as well, but not really close. Probably about 45 mins drive, depending on where you live in Boulder. There is another new course planned, but also up between Longmont and Fort Collins. Send me a message if you are ever interested in playing. I am down in Colorado Springs, but I can find a place to play for sure.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 05:26:03 AM »
I visited my friend who used to live in Louisville, CO just up the road from Boulder. He played out of Coal Creek Golf Club and that course was challenging, but my favorite in the area was in Westminster, Legacy Ridge. Arther Hills course with no parallel fairways and some changes in elevation with great condition greens and fairways. Also you need to play Fossil Trace in nearby Golden, Jim Enge course that is like nothing else.
Mariana Butte in Loveland is a pretty course not far away where we saw moose wandering through the course and the backside plays along a river.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 05:33:46 AM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Aaron Marks

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 09:40:33 AM »
As mentioned, Boulder CC And Lake Valley are your two best options in close proximity to Boulder.  A bit further of a drive to Fox Acres in Longmont and Omni in Broomfield, as well.  TPC Colorado in Berthoud is farther than those two.

What we lack in private courses, we more than make up for in public.  Within ~45 minutes of Boulder, you have a lot of good options: Walnut Creek Golf Preserve and Riverdale Dunes are "links" style courses and worthy of repeat plays.

A bit further of a drive, but a hidden gem, is Highland Meadows in Windsor.  Lots of the fun decisions and 1/2 pars and usually great conditions.

Boulder isn't that far from Wildhorse, Bayside and the rest of the sandhills either....
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 10:25:57 AM by Aaron Marks »

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 09:23:46 PM »

Boulder isn't that far from Wildhorse, Bayside and the rest of the sandhills either....

4.5 hour drive to Wildhorse. 3.5 hours to Bayside.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 02:08:25 PM »
I played Lake Valley a few times growing up. I remember it quite fondly.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 02:32:43 PM »
I really liked Murphy Creek in Aurora when I played it several years back.  The back 9 is a bit tight in spots with housing, but overall an interesting course with a few terrific holes!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 11:23:45 PM »
Where does the CU golf team play?

Matthew Rose

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 12:07:05 AM »
Where does the CU golf team play?

Colorado National in Erie. I believe it's a Jay Morrish design.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Dan Smoot

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 06:30:50 PM »
I loved Lake Valley (played the Snake Fest there with a buddy one year), but quite an adjustment walking the course there vs. here in Chicago. I recall the first hole had an elevated green, and I kind of quickly pushed my cart up the hill to reach the green. . . only to almost pass out gasping for air. Kind of fun hitting 180 yard 7 irons tho.

I played Lake Valley for years with only about 2 houses out there.  Dirt roads to get there.  Liked the course but remember 3 hour 9 hole rounds.  Never understood it.  Pretty location.  Don't like all the houses now.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 12:57:41 PM »
A good friend belongs to Boulder CC and I'll be out there in a few weeks playing Boulder and TPC Colorado, both for the first time.  I don't think we're going to play Lake Valley.  I'll report back.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back