News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

There used to be a golf course there
« on: May 15, 2021, 03:12:56 AM »
There's a splendid website full of fascinating details essentially covering the UK entitled 'Golfs Missing Links'.

If we were to crystal ball say 25-50-75-100 years into the future I wonder which current courses would likely be included? The "There used to be a golf course there" scenario.

Thoughts?

atb
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 07:16:52 AM by Thomas Dai »

Ally Mcintosh

Re: There used to be a golf course there
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 04:39:07 AM »
I suppose the first candidates for future inclusion are likely courses within big city limits or at the other end of the scale, remote resort courses that can’t operate solely on local custom.

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 06:25:33 AM »
There's a splendid website full of fascinating details essentially covering the UK entitled 'Golfs Missing Links'.If we were to crystal ball say 25-50-75-100 years into the future I wonder which current courses would likely be included? The "There used to be a golf course there" scenario.Thoughts?atb[/color]

James Reader

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 02:07:11 PM »
Unless there are some fundamental changes soon I fear there might be a number of places where someone could be standing on a cliff or beach in 50 years’ time pointing into the sea and saying just that.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 03:13:47 PM »
Sadly agree. There will be - indeed already are - plenty of courses like Harlech and parts of Hunstanton already very exposed to a rising water table.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 04:16:04 PM »
There is a growing public concern about wealth, inequality and the privileges extreme wealth brings. And the need for the privaledged to pay a "fair" share of taxes.

I know diddly squat about the politics of Los Angeles but if the Malcolm Gladwell podcast about the high end golf courses there is accurate, then I wouldn't want to put down a large joining fee only to see it swallowed by legal costs incurred fighting some populist politician.

Will it all come down to a fight over a golf courses taxable status?

Meanwhile in Britain a populist politician is promising a new planning law to make more land available for housing...
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back