News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jimmy Muratt

Wolf Run Golf Club, is this Steve Smyers' best work?
« on: November 20, 2003, 04:59:33 PM »
How does Wolf Run Golf Club in Indiana stand up to Steve Smyers' other courses?  I recently played Four Streams Golf Club in Maryland and loved the style that Smyers presented.  There were a great variety of holes and the bunkering and green complexes were definitely the highlight.  

Smyers' bunkering is very reminiscent to the bunkering at the Melbourne sandbelt courses.  It is definitely unique among modern day courses and presents a very unique and menacing look.  

What are your thoughts on Wolf Run GC?  I appreciate any info!

John_Conley

Re:Wolf Run Golf Club, is this Steve Smyers' best work?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 05:11:32 PM »
I have not played more of his best because his courses are in Florida, New Jersey, and Indiana - a diverse spread.  Old Memorial is a nominee for his best work because the site is pretty bad.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 05:25:51 PM »
I have played Old Memorial, Southern Dunes, Four Streams, and Wolf Run and I think Wolf Run is the best of those four by far. It is a great piece of property and a very difficult layout. I played there a few years ago and my playing partner was in his pocket on half of the holes moaning how hard it was. I shot 76 so it couldn't be that hard! Oh yeah, I played Royce Brook in Jersey and Wolf Run was better than that too.
Mr Hurricane

ChasLawler

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 05:29:41 PM »
The only Smyers course I've played is River's Bend in Richmond, VA - a mostly forgettable layout winding through a middle-tier housing development. It's what Matt Ward might define as a typical Florida course with some mild elevation changes.

Upon seeing the pictures of Wolf Run on this site, I was blown away that the same guy created both - they are literally night and day. Wolf Run looks like a lot of fun.

James Edwards

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 07:04:00 PM »
Jimmy,

I'm a member of a Smyers course (which Faldo put his name to) in the South East of England called Chart Hills and the bunkering you mentioned is evident on this fine track also.  

Unfortunately I have not played Wolf Run, or indeed any other course of his.. but I will say that Chart Hills is one of the finest inland courses in the area and is highly rated amongst most who care to take a view.

The menacing look you were describing is what Chart Hills is all about.  The first at 600 yards plays across an echelon of bunkers from left to right - a fine opener although some claim to tough!

The course has approx 160 bunkers which, yes, alot are aesthetic, but that is the feel of the place.  The 'menace' of hitting your ball over three bunkers as opposed to one.

All in all, a great test of golf on a solid course. :)

James Edwards
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 07:05:07 PM by J.J.S.E »
@EDI__ADI

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 01:21:58 PM »
Steve Smyers is one of those architects who often flies "under the visibility radar." He often takes drab sites and can make some interesting things come about.

I was equally impressed with his successes in Florida -- namely, Old Memorial in Tampa and Southern Dunes in Haines City. Givenmy love  ::) for Florida golf I was wonderfully surprised by what he achieved there.

In NJ I have played Royce Brook and Blue Heron Pines / East a number of times and both of them are solid top five public layouts in the Garden State IMHO. Although it must be said that RB / West is now no longer public. On both sites Smyers took DEAD-FLAT land and made a number of holes that raise the blood pressure a good bit.

I have always been a fan of Four Streams and part of the issue with the course is that it is soooooooooooo low-key and private that few people really have played the course.

I know some people take issue with the plethora of bunkers that Smyers creates but I find his work quite refreshing for a host of reasons -- one of them being that Steve is a fine player and has good insight on what constitutues quality shot values throughout a round.

Give Smyers a sight with real gusto and he can certainly demonstrate his unique talents IMHO.

P.S. I have not played it but a number of people I deeply respect have also passed on high compliments to his work in MI with Lochenheath.

Michigan_Man

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003, 02:08:12 PM »
I played Lochenheath and loved it. Some of the greens were alittle over the top, but that only made it more fun. I really liked his bunkerwork, It's very dramatic yet playable. I haven't been their in 2 years. I hope the housing development doesn't encroach on the course :'(

SL_Solow

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 04:37:42 PM »
I haven't played all of Smyer's courses but I think he is quite consistent in building courses with interesting choices and outstanding greens complexes.  Rating Wolf Run as his "best" is a difficult proposition given the unique circumstances under which it was built.  I believe that it may have been Steve's first solo outing and he was specifically requested to build a very difficult golf course.  Thus Wolf Run may be his worst course for a high handicapper although it is a great track for better players.

SPDB

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2003, 10:05:30 PM »
have played Old memorial, royce brook, and blue heron pines. The quality of Smyers bunkering is top notch, the quantity of them on any given course is regrettable.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2003, 02:38:53 PM »
redanman:

Yes, it can be done.

I've played Old Memorial and Southern Dunes in Florida and would have those courses among my personal top ten in the state. The issue rests more with who designs the course and do they have the capability in being somewhat creative. In my mind -- Smyers does well with sites that aren't super by any reasonable definition.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2003, 06:09:59 PM »
I would add, given my admiration for Blue Heron Pines and Royce Brook West, that Smyers is the best replicator of Sandbelt style design working today. His emphasis on risk/reward and shot-making values really stand up in today's architecture.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Paul Richards

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2003, 10:01:56 PM »
YES
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

SPDB

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2003, 10:58:07 PM »
Paul - are you on medication? I don't understand your last few posts.

Paul Richards

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 06:46:22 AM »
SPDB:

No medication.  Just felt like answering the question posed in the title to this thread.

;)

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back