News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Members Only
« on: May 08, 2021, 10:34:49 PM »
No not the jacket from the 1980’s. Rather a transition in marketing by a private club whereby “Members Only” is written underneath the logo on an entire line of shop merchandise. Thankfully they kept some with just the logo at least for now. Subsequent to stocking the new merchandise they changed out all the pin flags and added “Members Only” written underneath the logo. The club is just golf and has traditionally had a pretty low key atmosphere. It was scored a six in the original Confidential Guide and designed by a prolific Golden Age architect. Further it’s hidden away off the beaten path where few will run across it by accident. The intended effect (exclusivity) is just the opposite of what’s delivered as it comes off as obnoxious. It should be noted that the subject club is not member owned. Amateur-Hour ::)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 09:17:51 PM by Tim Martin »

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Members Only
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 10:52:19 PM »
Seems a little goofy to me to advertise yourself that way. When I was a member of Four Streams they had logo shirts with the name of the club for guests and shirts for members with just the logo. Other clubs do similar things. I thought that was a bit goofy as well.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 03:12:43 AM »
Seems a little goofy to me to advertise yourself that way. When I was a member of Four Streams they had logo shirts with the name of the club for guests and shirts for members with just the logo. Other clubs do similar things. I thought that was a bit goofy as well.

I don’t mind this. A lot of clubs do it.

But the example Tim gave sounds ridiculous indeed.

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 07:16:17 AM »

I don’t mind this. A lot of clubs do it.

But the example Tim gave sounds ridiculous indeed.

Tom and Ally-I don’t mind the member logos either.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 07:50:46 AM »
agreed-poor decision.

If you have to point out a highlight, it's not a highlight...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 05:54:19 AM »
My favorite is the sign that says employee parking. 

Who is that sign for?  A random employee who forgets or the members who need to feel better about their lot in life?
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 09:17:19 AM »
I've always considered logoed wear on the golf course an "invitation to conversation"-especially at public tracks, but a "members only" addition to the logo would make me less likely to engage the player.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 03:40:25 PM »
I've always considered logoed wear on the golf course an "invitation to conversation"-especially at public tracks, but a "members only" addition to the logo would make me less likely to engage the player.

I don't think members logos are uncommon.  Often it's just a subtler version of the main logo. If you didn't know it was a members logo, it may not even register.  But would agree that actually writing out "members only" is kind of dumb.  Also, unless the course allows no guest play, is "members only" even accurate?  The front entrance at my club I think used to have a sign that said members only, but it's since been changed the "members and guests".

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 03:50:52 PM »

The front entrance at my club I think used to have a sign that said members only, but it's since been changed the "members and guests".

Bill-“members and guests” sounds welcoming. :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back