News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

Re: GCA - What’s your pet subject?
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2021, 03:47:14 PM »

Tim - sure, if you begin with the assumption that all anyone can offer is an 'opinion' then I do understand why it would all be considered 'subjective'. What I'm referring to (as not understanding) is the popular notion around here that no one can ever offer any 'statements of facts' about gca -- statements that are 'true', and 'objectively' so.  As per Ally's question, that's my pet subject.

Yes, but objectivity is subjective.--Boris Dimitrovich

Thomas Dai

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2021, 04:24:18 PM »
Over-conditioned courses, ball/equipment rollback, forced carries and committees will do for starters! :)
Atb

Tim Gallant

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2021, 04:52:55 PM »
We all have GCA subjects that we return to over and over again on this message board.

Above all else, I probably return to my uneasiness with the trend towards homogenisation in GB&I links course “improvements”.

If you had to pick just one subject where you find yourself on repeat, what would it be?

Ally,

This is certainly a subject that fascinates me to no end as well.

But! My favourite subjects are generally about new course developments as I find it really interesting to understand the process that it takes to go from dream to dirt to done. For example, there's a proposed new course at Nigg (near Dornoch), which is currently in planning permission. One can go on and see the proposed routing and the environmental impact study. Really interesting stuff (to me at least :) ).

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2021, 08:30:42 PM »
I have a few main interests, but I think the most entertaining one for me is reading about, playing, discussing and looking at pix of lesser known, cheaper courses. I get a kick from eventually understanding the high quality of some of the courses. Often times I admire how efficiently these courses are maintained and presented. It's simpler golf all around which I think suits my outlook on life.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Carl Rogers

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2021, 08:48:36 PM »
Hidden gems w/ simple access.

(The usual suspects might as well be on the moon.)
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2021, 08:56:29 PM »
To be honest, those guys didn't miss much in the practical realm.  Find me a Wilson, Jones, or Finger course (among others) and I'll show you it was easy to maintain, there were no instances of water draining over the top of greens or bunkers, etc., a thing I see a lot as the younger generation makes the same mistakes of formerly younger gca's of previous generations made.

To be honest, posts like this strike me as pedantic, like looking for a typo or a grammatical error in a great piece of writing.

I understand that there is value in building things that drain properly, etc. -- I had a good mentor for that.  But sometimes you seem to place more value on that than on trying to build a course that transcends the above-average, so I doubt the younger generation is paying much heed to what you are trying to tell them.

As an example, last week after working for a few days on the Lido and trying to make the surface drainage from the greens go around the many greenside bunkers -- which was not a feature of the computer model simulation -- we took a field trip to The National Golf Links of America.  One of our takeaways was that Macdonald and Raynor just let the drainage sheet off the greens and down the faces of the bunkers there!  It's possible there was more "steering" of the drainage that's been messed up by 100 years of topdressing, but on a bunch of the greens, there were not many places to take the drainage except to a bunker.

So I guess Macdonald and Raynor had nothing on RTJ or Joe Finger . . . but neither of them ever came close to building anything like The National.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2021, 10:41:31 AM »
Tom Doak says:

To be honest, posts like this strike me as pedantic, like looking for a typo or a grammatical error in a great piece of writing.

Not a good analogy at all.  Unless you think drainage is a minor aspect of design, not one so major that the saying is “drainage, drainage, drainage..”

I understand that there is value in building things that drain properly, etc. -- I had a good mentor for that.

Looking back at all the times, I was with Pete, he did talk about drainage, a lot.  Guess it is pretty important!  And, there are some broad principles, i.e., water flows downhill, and many details to work out.  As in, depending on soil type, water flow will become erosive at 3-5 ft/sec, and no golf course architect I know has yet to fool Mother Nature in this regard, so sand washes bunker faces out at a calculable point, considering length and volume of flow, type of sand, etc.

But sometimes you seem to place more value on that than on trying to build a course that transcends the above-average, so I doubt the younger generation is paying much heed to what you are trying to tell them.

Is this me being an out of touch dinosaur (I have been called that) or another example of the arrogance of youth believing that, “This time, it’s different.”  I remember when I thought I had it all figured out!  Fun times.  Lots of mistakes have been made in both the stock market and golf course design based on that premise.    Nature doesn’t change much.  Water still flows downhill.

I have perused social media and designer websites of some of the younger generation.  Yes, the desire to do something new and different does have some value.  But in one case, a guy proudly posted a picture of his first shaping attempt of a punch bowl green.  I believe to your eye and mine it would look just a bit under scaled, but since it was his first one, he had on the rose colored glasses.  So, we can’t assume that it was just great design because they are trying something new (to them).

One problem in this discussion is that none of us will know the answer for another few decades, when we see how the work holds up.  One thing we know (based on history) is that then next gen of gca's will crap all over it, because pushing "new and improved" and "the next great thing" will be just as good for marketing for them as it was for you.

As an example, last week after working for a few days on the Lido and trying to make the surface drainage from the greens go around the many greenside bunkers -- which was not a feature of the computer model simulation -- we took a field trip to The National Golf Links of America.  One of our takeaways was that Macdonald and Raynor just let the drainage sheet off the greens and down the faces of the bunkers there!  It's possible there was more "steering" of the drainage that's been messed up by 100 years of topdressing, but on a bunch of the greens, there were not many places to take the drainage except to a bunker.

Since this is a thread on pet subjects, I will add that I hate someone throwing out an example of how a feature worked to stifle scoring at a US Open, when talking about the design of an every day course.  And, I think your above example is throwing out one example of a top 1% maintenance budget course to justify a design feature as “working” for the other 99% (or so) of courses without multi-million dollar budgets. 

Design should solve problems, not create them, no?  The problems of drainage into bunkers aren’t usually obvious on any particular day, but more noticeable over time. 

I recall Killian and Nugent asking the same question of why drainage should never go into bunkers near the end of my tenure there.  So, they built one that way.  I went back to play that course a few years after I left for Texas and that bunker was a mud hole. 

I recall cases of ill considered bunker drainage, and they ended up replacing sand every 2-3 years, not every 5-7, costing money.  Or causing $10-55K of labor on a course that could surely use that money elsewhere.

I even recall designing a bunker with a 1% slope away – at the request of the PGA Tour consultant pro, who felt hitting into an upslope from the bunker displayed his skill better.   After 10 years of mowing that pass between green and bunker on a riding mower, some of those 1% slopes got worn down, funneling drainage into the bunker in spots, and those were bad enough to require rebuilding to stop that problem.

Bottom line, I must go with repeated, and consistent design experience.  Yes, that makes most of us more conservative with age, and yes, it’s easier to just implement a design rule that water drains away from the top of bunker edges at more than 1%, or whatever, because I know it will reduce future complaints (and yes, I have made mistakes over the years.  Who likes to hear those?

So I guess Macdonald and Raynor had nothing on RTJ or Joe Finger . . . but neither of them ever came close to building anything like The National.

NGLA is a great course.  No doubt.  But it’s not suitable everywhere.  And, I still have a hard time believing it wouldn’t be great if every bunker was designed to prevent drainage problems.  It’s just a small slope you have to fit in there.

You have a way of putting out pithy sound bites, but it still doesn’t mean that it’s “sound practice” for many courses.  That said, this is a situation where we might both be right.  You are more right for 1-9% of the courses with unlimited budgets, and me probably more right for 90+% of US courses with tight budgets.   

BTW, I would love to hear more about your “computer simulation.”  I produce my own or at least the grading plans that make them up.  Another one of my “dinosaur” concepts is that if you can build it, you really can draw it.  3D just helps that, not hurts it, if you embrace it.
So, there you have it, one (or more) of my pet subjects all in one post!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 12:18:13 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Mayhugh

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2021, 12:55:28 PM »
We all have GCA subjects that we return to over and over again on this message board.

Above all else, I probably return to my uneasiness with the trend towards homogenisation in GB&I links course “improvements”.

If you had to pick just one subject where you find yourself on repeat, what would it be?

This is one that I wish wasn't on repeat for me, but every time I read about building fake dunes and new holes and the like, I can't help but comment.

On the good side, I immediately want to read posts about courses I've never heard of or know little about. While I'll never come close to visiting and playing all of the courses that I want to see, that doesn't stop me from adding to the list.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2021, 01:56:31 PM »
How a lack of imagination in cutting hole locations cancels out a lot of architectural intent.

Andrew Harvie

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2021, 03:51:59 PM »
Canada, mostly because I can't travel internationally right now, so the past year and change has only been about my home country for me

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2021, 04:32:13 PM »
Tom Doak says:

Not a good analogy at all.  Unless you think drainage is a minor aspect of design, not one so major that the saying is “drainage, drainage, drainage..”

I understand that there is value in building things that drain properly, etc. -- I had a good mentor for that.

Looking back at all the times, I was with Pete, he did talk about drainage, a lot.  Guess it is pretty important!  And, there are some broad principles, i.e., water flows downhill, and many details to work out.  As in, depending on soil type, water flow will become erosive at 3-5 ft/sec, and no golf course architect I know has yet to fool Mother Nature in this regard, so sand washes bunker faces out at a calculable point, considering length and volume of flow, type of sand, etc.

But sometimes you seem to place more value on that than on trying to build a course that transcends the above-average, so I doubt the younger generation is paying much heed to what you are trying to tell them.

Is this me being an out of touch dinosaur (I have been called that) or another example of the arrogance of youth believing that, “This time, it’s different.”  I remember when I thought I had it all figured out!  Fun times.  Lots of mistakes have been made in both the stock market and golf course design based on that premise.    Nature doesn’t change much.  Water still flows downhill.

I have perused social media and designer websites of some of the younger generation.  Yes, the desire to do something new and different does have some value.  But in one case, a guy proudly posted a picture of his first shaping attempt of a punch bowl green.  I believe to your eye and mine it would look just a bit under scaled, but since it was his first one, he had on the rose colored glasses.  So, we can’t assume that it was just great design because they are trying something new (to them).

One problem in this discussion is that none of us will know the answer for another few decades, when we see how the work holds up.  One thing we know (based on history) is that then next gen of gca's will crap all over it, because pushing "new and improved" and "the next great thing" will be just as good for marketing for them as it was for you.

Since this is a thread on pet subjects, I will add that I hate someone throwing out an example of how a feature worked to stifle scoring at a US Open, when talking about the design of an every day course.  And, I think your above example is throwing out one example of a top 1% maintenance budget course to justify a design feature as “working” for the other 99% (or so) of courses without multi-million dollar budgets. 

Design should solve problems, not create them, no?  The problems of drainage into bunkers aren’t usually obvious on any particular day, but more noticeable over time. 

I recall Killian and Nugent asking the same question of why drainage should never go into bunkers near the end of my tenure there.  So, they built one that way.  I went back to play that course a few years after I left for Texas and that bunker was a mud hole. 

I recall cases of ill considered bunker drainage, and they ended up replacing sand every 2-3 years, not every 5-7, costing money.  Or causing $10-55K of labor on a course that could surely use that money elsewhere.

I even recall designing a bunker with a 1% slope away – at the request of the PGA Tour consultant pro, who felt hitting into an upslope from the bunker displayed his skill better.   After 10 years of mowing that pass between green and bunker on a riding mower, some of those 1% slopes got worn down, funneling drainage into the bunker in spots, and those were bad enough to require rebuilding to stop that problem.

Bottom line, I must go with repeated, and consistent design experience.  Yes, that makes most of us more conservative with age, and yes, it’s easier to just implement a design rule that water drains away from the top of bunker edges at more than 1%, or whatever, because I know it will reduce future complaints (and yes, I have made mistakes over the years.  Who likes to hear those?

NGLA is a great course.  No doubt.  But it’s not suitable everywhere.  And, I still have a hard time believing it wouldn’t be great if every bunker was designed to prevent drainage problems.  It’s just a small slope you have to fit in there.

You have a way of putting out pithy sound bites, but it still doesn’t mean that it’s “sound practice” for many courses.  That said, this is a situation where we might both be right.  You are more right for 1-9% of the courses with unlimited budgets, and me probably more right for 90+% of US courses with tight budgets.   

BTW, I would love to hear more about your “computer simulation.”  I produce my own or at least the grading plans that make them up.  Another one of my “dinosaur” concepts is that if you can build it, you really can draw it.  3D just helps that, not hurts it, if you embrace it.
So, there you have it, one (or more) of my pet subjects all in one post!

Jeff

I am so fed up with extrapolations from all areas of the pro game being used as examples for golf at large. Most know (or should know) it's crap. Yet over and over people use the pros, the courses they play and their setups as measurements...good and bad. It's stupid.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2021, 10:01:23 PM »
NGLA's maintenance budget is nearly unlimited. If they have big bunker washouts due to their greens drainage exits, they can send in the 101st Airborne to clean it up.

As for my pet subjects: Unirrigated turf, especially fairways/bunker reduction/sparsely bunkered courses/clay-soiled courses that play consistently firm.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2021, 11:53:29 AM »
Tom,

My point!   Apologies if I somehow got this wrong, but my pet subjects include letting participants know how much more goes into a successful design than they know.

That said, I think TD probably made the right decision for his iteration of a typical problem.

- He has a unique charge - recreate a long gone course none of us has seen.
-Source materials include a computer model generated by others, old aerials, and some surface ariels.  None probably has the detail to let him know how to proceed.
-He had a situation as to where to drain at least one green. It's not good 2021 practice to drain into bunkers, but his option of draining towards narrow, high foot traffic areas is also a design no-no. He said his first instinct was to drain around bunkers.
-As per restoration protocols (if there were any) he did the next best thing - travel to other courses by the same gca.  In this case, finding similar greens from Mac is easy, and he chose NGLA, where he found that 110 years ago, they didn't consider draining around bunkers.
- Given his charge to faithfully recreate Lido, golfers who this is aimed at would probably know if he left bunkers out for drainage.  They might even notice if he shortened them up to leave more drainage room.  So, he decides to leave bunkers in the same configurations shown on the old documents and drain into them.
-He doesn't say, but other mitigating factors at his Lido are:

--- Sandy soils, which he reasons would lessen runoff and problems. 
--- He could also consider a french drain tile on the low side of the green to reduce that runoff further.
--- He might shape the top edge of the bunker to make sure it evenly distributes the drainage, without causing gully washers.
--- He figures this resort course will have a more than adequate budget, if problems arise.

In the end, it shows how much detail thought would be given by an experienced architect like Tom, to each unique little aspect of a particular green or tee, etc.  It wouldn't work in most places but it will probably work reasonably well at the Lido, as all designs include a balance of factors and compromise.

V_Halyard

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2021, 09:00:19 PM »
Increasing general public and municipal access to great/ even good golf course architecture AND course conditioning.
 The death to circular greens...
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2021, 10:31:28 PM »
I have lots of pet subjects but my current one is figuring out how to get the major golf magazines to run an alternative ranking entitled:  Top 100 most fun courses to play. I would love to see how the lists would change if FUN became the most important criteria. It would knock put a lot of pretty, well-maintained, "tough tracks."

I'd like to think that this train of thought might be an important reminder to raters about what  SHOULD be important to retail golfers, but then again, I'm a foolish dreamer...

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2021, 04:29:51 AM »
I have lots of pet subjects but my current one is figuring out how to get the major golf magazines to run an alternative ranking entitled:  Top 100 most fun courses to play. I would love to see how the lists would change if FUN became the most important criteria. It would knock put a lot of pretty, well-maintained, "tough tracks."

I'd like to think that this train of thought might be an important reminder to raters about what  SHOULD be important to retail golfers, but then again, I'm a foolish dreamer...

That would be cool at first, but over a few years it would get just as stale as the other ratings. There'd be the perpetual North Berwick at the top, and it wouldn't change vastly.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2021, 05:01:01 AM »

That would be cool at first, but over a few years it would get just as stale as the other ratings. There'd be the perpetual North Berwick at the top, and it wouldn't change vastly.
While a fun topic, as Adam points out, as there are so few new courses being built it would be a pretty static list and perhaps each decade could be updated. In the USA there is no where near the variety and quirk you find in the UK, which is very enjoyable.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mike_Young

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2021, 07:04:56 AM »
I get flustered with the BS around restoration / renovation and comparing it to designing a golf course. 
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2021, 10:02:37 AM »
Saw your ten year old article via your link on FB.  Yes, you are nothing but consistent!

Mike_Young

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2021, 10:51:01 AM »
Saw your ten year old article via your link on FB.  Yes, you are nothing but consistent!

Hell, I had no idea.  I thought someone would have to ask you to use it.  It was something I had done for one of Paul Daly's books...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back