News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan_Callahan

Bretwood Golf Course, Keene, NH
« on: May 03, 2021, 12:34:14 PM »
On my way up to play Hooper yesterday, I stopped at Bretwood to hit range balls. Went on to play 18 at Hooper. Finished at 4:00 and it was a beautiful spring day and I was itching to play more, but they had just started aerating the greens. So I drove back down to Bretwood to hit more balls. Didn't see anyone go off the 1st for a while, so I decided I might as well play the course and see what was out there. It was ... an epiphany. I played the south course, and the use of a river winding its way through the property was spectacular. A flat and very walkable site without being boring. Here are some pics from the day:

Tom_Doak

Re: Bretwood Golf Course, Keene, NH
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 12:37:13 PM »
Very pretty.  I hope the river never floods, though!

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 01:09:21 PM »
We've had a lot of rain the last few weeks and the course was surprisingly dry. Hooper had many more muddy spots. And in this part of the world, barring a torrential summer storm, spring is by far the wettest time of year with winter runoff. I'd be curious to know if those river beds are dry in the fall.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 04:00:10 PM »
I played it once in 2007 or so.

My parents have a house near MT. Monadnock and, as much as I love the beauty, grew fatigued of the Brian Silva-designed course near their house called "The Shattuck" which I think is ranked in top 20 toughest US courses.

Ventured over to Brentwood one day and enjoyed it.

Dave Doxey

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 05:49:38 PM »

I played a number of times at both Bretwood & Shattuck 30+ years ago.  Shattuck was indeed a difficult course with many forced carries and little forgiveness for wayward shots.  It required several rounds to learn where to aim on many holes. It was a beautiful setting with no development to be seen.   

If I remember correctly, the owner of Bretwood used to land his private plane alongside one of the fairways.  Bretwood was also a pretty setting.  Owner designed and developed courses, I believe.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 10:46:01 AM »

It did.

On a positive note, got a few bonus island greens ...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back