News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott McWethy

Re: Your proposed future major championship venues?
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2021, 05:40:36 PM »
I'd like to see Cypress Point or SFCC host a Women's US Open. Some of the classic courses that are too short for Men's tournaments could still hold majors.

Tim, I think those would be excellent venues for the women's open.  I know SFGC hosted a Curtis Cup before. 

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 05:46:52 PM »
Likewise the R&A can't risk going back to Portrush if the border becomes an issue again.
The R&A may have border issues holding events in England in the near future.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 09:19:54 PM »
 Nice to see another list here, but this one only highlights the stupidity of the PGA moving to May.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 04:02:58 PM »
The insider word is RP and RSG have 3 Open agreements. Construction for this years Open started 2 weeks ago and continues at pace, the first tee complex is pretty much finished and the 18th green complex is well underway.

Anyone playing RSG in the next couple of weeks will get stellar conditions.
Cave Nil Vino

Peter Flory

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2021, 04:15:58 PM »
How about Old Macdonald for a US Open? 

Richard Fisher

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2021, 04:29:10 PM »
Agree with Mark about RP and RSG. Sadly, to take up Adrian”s point, the realistic chances of the Open going either to Wales or to the West Country (including Burnham) are about as likely as me playing in it (aged 61, handicap 12). Certainly in my lifetime. The last ‘major’ R&A adult male event to be held in the West Country was the Amateur Championship of 1931, at RND, and those visits ceased, not least as not enough Scots entered. Boys’ and Seniors’ a bit different, and Ladies’ very different, but Porthcawl remains the only ‘Wales and West of England’ venue to have hosted either the Amateur or the Walker Cup since the Second World War.

Peter Flory

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2021, 04:55:34 PM »
Why would they not hold it in Wales?  (honest question)

JLahrman

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2021, 05:26:41 PM »
I would love to see Chambers Bay get another shot, and it would likely need to be the PGA. US Open probably wouldn't try it again. I thought the course was great. And I'd love to see the PGA carve out a niche as the tournament for newer/modern designs while the US Open sticks to the old classics. Would be one way for the PGA Championship to get a bit more identity.

Peter Flory

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2021, 07:00:30 PM »
I would love to see Chambers Bay get another shot, and it would likely need to be the PGA. US Open probably wouldn't try it again. I thought the course was great. And I'd love to see the PGA carve out a niche as the tournament for newer/modern designs while the US Open sticks to the old classics. Would be one way for the PGA Championship to get a bit more identity.

That's not a bad idea for differentiation. 

JLahrman

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2021, 07:50:18 PM »

That's not a bad idea for differentiation.

Yes it's just too bad that the US Open made the more progressive choices. The PGA could have made a move to build their rotation around Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, Valhalla, Chambers Bay, Ocean Course, etc. They've visited a few of those courses, but they've also gone with the traditional courses like Oak Hill, Oakland Hills, Baltusrol, etc. which felt mostly like US Open Lites. Meanwhile the US Open has been willing to try places like Erin Hills and Chambers Bay. I'd love it if the US Open stuck to Oakmont, Pebble, Winged Foot, etc. while the PGA went with the newer designs.

But like usual, nobody asked me.

David_Tepper

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2021, 08:03:29 PM »
<blockquote>I'd like to see Cypress Point or SFCC host a Women's US Open. Some of the classic courses that are too short for Men's tournaments could still hold majors.
</blockquote>

Tim, I think those would be excellent venues for the women's open.  I know SFGC hosted a Curtis Cup before.

Given that the Olympic Club is hosting the Women's Open on the Lake Course this year, Pebble Beach is scheduled for 2023 and Erin Hills is scheduled for 2025, I think even the women's professional game has bypassed venues like Cypress Point and SFGC.

Peter Flory

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2021, 09:53:11 PM »
<blockquote>I'd like to see Cypress Point or SFCC host a Women's US Open. Some of the classic courses that are too short for Men's tournaments could still hold majors.
</blockquote>

Given that the Olympic Club is hosting the Women's Open on the Lake Course this year, Pebble Beach is scheduled for 2023 and Erin Hills is scheduled for 2025, I think even the women's professional game has bypassed venues like Cypress Point and SFGC.

I thought that it was more that venues that desired a US Open had to pay their dues by hosting other tournaments beforehand. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2021, 10:30:23 PM »

Yes it's just too bad that the US Open made the more progressive choices. The PGA could have made a move to build their rotation around Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, Valhalla, Chambers Bay, Ocean Course, etc. They've visited a few of those courses, but they've also gone with the traditional courses like Oak Hill, Oakland Hills, Baltusrol, etc. which felt mostly like US Open Lites. Meanwhile the US Open has been willing to try places like Erin Hills and Chambers Bay. I'd love it if the US Open stuck to Oakmont, Pebble, Winged Foot, etc. while the PGA went with the newer designs.

But if you were a longtime club professional on the board of directors for the PGA of America, where would you rather hang out for a tournament week?  Oakland Hills or Chambers Bay?  (Kohler is the exception here, pretty nice accommodations etc, and Valhalla where the PGA has an ownership stake.)

Brent Carlson

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2021, 12:04:47 AM »

If I were king of golf:

US Open

2022 - The Country Club - scheduled
2023 - LACC - scheduled
2024 - Pinehurst #2 - scheduled
2025 - Oakmont - scheduled
2026 - Shinnecock Hills - scheduled
2027 - Pebble Beach - scheduled
2028 - Oakland Hills - restored to Ross; first Open in Ross style since 1937
2029 - Pinehurst #2 - scheduled
2030 - Merion - 100th anniversary of Jones’s grand slam
2031 - Bethpage - return to the people’s Open
2032 - Riviera - would love to see Riv host another Open
2033 - Winged Foot - in the rota
2034 - Oakmont - in the rota
2035 - Pinehurst #2 - scheduled

PGA

2022 - Southern Hills - scheduled
2023 - Oak Hill - scheduled
2024 - Valhalla - scheduled
2025 - Quail Hollow - scheduled
2026 - Aronimink - scheduled
2027 - Frisco - scheduled, debut
2028 - Olympic - scheduled, would be an Open contender if not already scheduled
2029 - Baltusrol - scheduled, would be an Open contender if not already scheduled
2030 - Peachtree - Georgia gets back to back majors
2031 - Congressional - scheduled
2032 - Olympia Fields - Chicago deserves a major
2033 - Cherry Hills - historic venue; too short? perhaps ball reform puts them in the mix
2034 - Frisco - scheduled
2035 - Chambers Bay - firm, fast, fun; greens now poa
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 12:21:26 AM by Brent Carlson »

Richard Fisher

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2021, 03:33:00 AM »
To Peter's question (about Wales), a whole gamut of reasons, but I think principally no course/facility of sufficient golfing challenge that is (at present) quite big enough for the Open, local and regional transport infrastructure, and suitable accommodation. Ryder Cup Wales at Celtic Manor was a long-term Welsh Assembly-supported project, and local and national government has also helped bring the Curtis Cup to Conwy this coming August (it will be the third Welsh venue for the CC, after Porthcawl and St Pierre). Not coincidentally Conwy is only about 80 minutes' drive from Manchester Airport.

NB that Porthcawl (which has already hosted two Senior Opens) will host the Ladies Open in 2025. RStD Harlech has happily hosted the Girls' and the Senior Ladies' in recent years, and but for COVID would have hosted the ladies' Home Internationals this past year, but the economically depressed Harlech area badly needs a new hotel.

(should perhaps add in the interests of 'full disclosure' that I am a longstanding individual member of Golf Wales, formerly the Welsh Golfing Union, and hence not a neutral observer in any of this! Hope this response provides some answers anyway.)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2021, 06:07:28 AM »
To Peter's question (about Wales), a whole gamut of reasons, but I think principally no course/facility of sufficient golfing challenge that is (at present) quite big enough for the Open, local and regional transport infrastructure, and suitable accommodation. Ryder Cup Wales at Celtic Manor was a long-term Welsh Assembly-supported project, and local and national government has also helped bring the Curtis Cup to Conwy this coming August (it will be the third Welsh venue for the CC, after Porthcawl and St Pierre). Not coincidentally Conwy is only about 80 minutes' drive from Manchester Airport.

NB that Porthcawl (which has already hosted two Senior Opens) will host the Ladies Open in 2025. RStD Harlech has happily hosted the Girls' and the Senior Ladies' in recent years, and but for COVID would have hosted the ladies' Home Internationals this past year, but the economically depressed Harlech area badly needs a new hotel.

(should perhaps add in the interests of 'full disclosure' that I am a longstanding individual member of Golf Wales, formerly the Welsh Golfing Union, and hence not a neutral observer in any of this! Hope this response provides some answers anyway.)

Interesting you say that about Harlech - I organise an annual outing for 16 people for last 25 years, always wanted to take the group to Harlech, never did because couldn't work the accommodation to my satisfaction. Village looks lovely.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2021, 06:39:10 AM »
The R & A are desperate for a WEST open. If that is Wales or West Country, who knows. it may not be possible but there is a desire for it to happen.

The R & A have been in talks with a Welsh club (and it is not Porthcawl).

Realistically it has to be at least 7 years away from now as everything is pencilled to that point. It may take 20 years or even never.

A new course in the West might emerge, you never know, the key thing would be infrastructure, somewhere like Weston Super Mare ticks many of the boxes required and far more than say a Dornoch. Obs the golf course is not good enough at the moment but if the club acquired more land the course could be made. THAT SITUATION could happen elsewhere.

A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Richard Fisher

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2021, 07:20:41 AM »
Adrian, I agree 100% about the desire, but it's the actuality over less than a twenty-year timespan that worries me! I still think that 'never' is a pretty good bet (sadly), but v much hope to be proved wrong and I relish your optimism.
Ally  - yes, the accommodation situation in Harlech has been a problem for ages, and the once-grand but then-awful-and-derelict St David's Hotel was finally demolished last year. The RStD club has a very nice and refurbished Dormy for small parties, and between that and the Branwen Hotel/Inn over the road from the clubhouse you could sleep sixteen...the Castle Cottage, just behind Harlech Castle itself, remains the nicest boutique option.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2021, 03:11:27 PM »

Brent got this one right with Merion getting 2030 US Open,

https://www.si.com/golf/news/future-us-open-sites-for-men-and-women

What are the options for the 2028 US Open?

I would love to see it go back to Chambers Bay but doubtful because they already have a West Coast US Open in 2027.  I doubt Erin Hills because it is too easy without wind. Not Southern Hills as they have the PGA in 2022. Not Quail Hollow as it hosts the PGA in 2025.

I guess Oakland Hills is in the running. Or Winged Foot, just 8 years after 2020.

Is there another public course that could host the US Open in 2028? Perhaps Bethpage Black.

If I were king of golf:

US Open

2023 - LACC - scheduled

PGA

2029 - Baltusrol - scheduled, would be an Open contender if not already scheduled
2033 - Cherry Hills - historic venue; too short? perhaps ball reform puts them in the mix

Brent Carlson

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2021, 04:27:16 PM »

Scott,

I'm glad Merion is getting the Open again.  I thought it was great in 2013.  It would be much better with a rolled back tour ball IMO.

A golf writer who is much more plugged in that me says 2028 is going to Winged Foot.  I think Oakland Hills will get one, the question is when.  I hear that they will be hosting a women's open before a men's.

It's crazy that there will be one US Open in the Midwest between 2004 and at the earliest 2028.  Early in the 20th century it was there nearly every other year.  Times have changed.

quote author=Scott Weersing link=topic=69618.msg1684137#msg1684137 date=1628709087]

Brent got this one right with Merion getting 2030 US Open,

https://www.si.com/golf/news/future-us-open-sites-for-men-and-women

What are the options for the 2028 US Open?

I would love to see it go back to Chambers Bay but doubtful because they already have a West Coast US Open in 2027.  I doubt Erin Hills because it is too easy without wind. Not Southern Hills as they have the PGA in 2022. Not Quail Hollow as it hosts the PGA in 2025.

I guess Oakland Hills is in the running. Or Winged Foot, just 8 years after 2020.

Is there another public course that could host the US Open in 2028? Perhaps Bethpage Black.

If I were king of golf:

US Open

2023 - LACC - scheduled

PGA

Tom_Doak

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2021, 04:53:09 PM »
Maybe they could just turn back the clock 100 years on all the US Open venues:

'28  Olympia Fields
'30  Merion
'31  Inverness
'32  Fresh Meadow [well, okay, that one's gone]
'33  North Shore, Chicago
'34  Merion [or Oakmont, which should have been '35]

It's obvious just from that list that the midwest is being under-represented now.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2021, 09:15:39 PM »
Maybe they could just turn back the clock 100 years on all the US Open venues:

'28  Olympia Fields
'30  Merion
'31  Inverness
'32  Fresh Meadow [well, okay, that one's gone]
'33  North Shore, Chicago
'34  Merion [or Oakmont, which should have been '35]

It's obvious just from that list that the midwest is being under-represented now.

Wasn't that the reason that the Western Golf Association originally came into being - because the USGA was east coast biased?  Now the Midwest is underrepresented for US Opens and the Western Open is not only not a major but no longer played at all.

mike_beene

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2021, 11:06:48 PM »
How does a world game not have a major in the Southern Hemisphere? The Australian Open as a fifth major? Is there enough money? It has to draw the best players and ultimately be a fifth major. With the depth of fields , 5 or 6 majors make sense. Could Aussie and Japan hold a pacific rim open back and forth?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2021, 11:21:10 PM »
How does a world game not have a major in the Southern Hemisphere? The Australian Open as a fifth major? Is there enough money? It has to draw the best players and ultimately be a fifth major. With the depth of fields , 5 or 6 majors make sense. Could Aussie and Japan hold a pacific rim open back and forth?

(a)  There's only room for four majors at a time.
(b)  You can't just "declare" a tournament to be a major.  It has to earn its status.  In some respects, the Australian Open would be extra confusing, because it has a long history and you'd have to rewrite the record books to include it retroactively.  (Gary Player won seven Australian Opens!  Nicklaus and Norman five each!  But also, Peter Lonnard and Greg Jones and some other guys would become multiple-major-winners.)
(c)  The majority of the players are from America and Europe, and few of them want to deal with the jet lag of going back and forth to Australia for a one-week trip.  That's one reason the Olympics had trouble getting all the best players.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2021, 06:47:31 AM »
Congrats to both Oakmont and Merion!!

Would love to see the US Open at Inverness and Oakland Hills. Both more than deserving of hosting the national championship.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back