News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

I'll admit it. When I play alone I will sometimes play a mulligan. I don't post the score but if someone asks me what I shot I will sometimes keep silent on my mulligan. There are some holes that I think should have a built in mulligan. It might encourage a more daring first shot. For instance  number 5 at Pine Valley. I don't get there as often as I used to but after the first couple of plays I decided to hit my tee shot to the front left corner of the green, regardless of where the pin is. If I knew I had a ball in my pocket, I might go after the pin with my first shot.
Any other's of yours?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Thomas Dai

Re: Holes where a mulligan should be allowed or even encouraged
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 03:12:47 PM »
If playing alone I’ll normally play 2 balls. This seems to be the norm in the U.K. and doesn’t usually raise any hackles. One player playing more than 2 balls tends to be frowned upon though.
As to mulligans, is there a potential pace of play issue?
Atb

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 03:14:01 PM »
Tommy-I sense some sort of moral dilemma. You may want to look on high for guidance.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 03:27:06 PM »
In the very relaxed rules of golf, every shot should get one.  And, if you don't use one, it can be saved up so you can take two mullies on some other shot if need be.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 04:12:12 PM »
Tommy-I sense some sort of moral dilemma. You may want to look on high for guidance.

Tim, I look at a mulligan as a higher form of forgiveness.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 04:17:04 PM »
16 at Cypress is my favorite mulligan hole.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 04:24:09 PM »
16 at Cypress is my favorite mulligan hole.

I am happy to announce that on my one and only play I didn’t need a mulligan.😇
St. John of the Cross

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 06:09:51 PM »
The first tee shot of any amateur tournament. I have seen many an amateur choke that first swing after the starting horn goes off. In fact just knowing you had the mulligan might make for better shots  :D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 06:57:09 PM »
I remember playing in Wilmington NC in the mid to late 1980’s where a “Hit Till Your Happy” rule was invoked on the first tee. Mostly referred to as a “Breakfast Ball.” None of the aiders or abettors I had associated with up to that point would ever consider such a benevolent gesture where a $5 Nassau was at stake.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 09:01:05 PM »
Given that I hit my tee shot onto the beach two days in a row, I am going with NB #2.

Ira

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 09:11:30 PM »
In fact just knowing you had the mulligan might make for better shots  :D

I once played in a Pro-Am at the NLE Melrose-a course with multiple white knuckle tee and approach shots(especially in the wooden driver days)
 In an unusual twist they allowed pros to buy one mulligan.
I was totally relaxed on every full swing, knowing I had a mulligan yet to use, and didn't miss a fairway and only a couple greens by a few feet.
On the 18th hole I hit a really solid putt from 8 feet for 67, that did a 180 at the hole-and I used my mulligan.
Now nervous as one can be, I missed the redo by 6 inches-I mean who can handle the pressure of only having one(more)try?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 09:23:14 PM »
Any hole in one gotten on a par 3 course. May as well hit another cause the first didn’t count either.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 09:27:02 PM »
I can't put my finger on exactly why, but the fact this is being discussed among "serious" golfers rubs me the wrong way. I know some clubs have this as sort of an unwritten rule/policy on the first tee, and that too drives me crazy. You can always hit another if you want. It's just your third shot.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 09:31:16 PM »
The starter at Pinehurst #2 told our group that we were all free to take a breakfast ball. He then said because of how the course was designed we should play all sand as waste areas. Ruined my day inch by inch.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 09:51:13 PM »
No.

If you’re actually playing for fun your score doesn’t matter anyway. Card the 7.

Oh wait, you’re actually playing to inflate your ego. Got it.

Furthermore, it’s a loser mentality. One day, it actually will come together and you’ll shoot a career or recent best...

...sullied by your cheating.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:53:33 PM by Kyle Harris »
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 09:52:54 PM »
Only if you're ok with slow play.

SL_Solow

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 10:09:23 PM »
I have a friend and client who was a law school classmate of President Clinton.  They played some golf during and after the Clinton Presidency. President Clinton was generous in giving out mulligans.  My friend remarked that the shots had been "pardoned".

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 11:47:43 PM »
I can't put my finger on exactly why, but the fact this is being discussed among "serious" golfers rubs me the wrong way. I know some clubs have this as sort of an unwritten rule/policy on the first tee, and that too drives me crazy. You can always hit another if you want. It's just your third shot.

I guess tongue in cheek isn't something you do either.
St. John of the Cross

Mark Kiely

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2021, 12:06:14 AM »

I guess tongue in cheek isn't something you do either.

Are you claiming you made up that whole original post as some sort of ironic joke?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2021, 12:18:53 AM »
Just having some fun Mark. Do you really think you get a mulligan at Pine Valley?
St. John of the Cross

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2021, 12:31:19 AM »
My problem with mulligans today is the lack of following rules governing g mulligans that were enforced in "the good old days".  Used to be that if you took a mulligan, you had to play it (even if your first shot was better).  That sense of propriety has flown out the window in recent years so the "risk/reward" aspect of mulligans is missing.

I say bring back TRUE MULLIGANS!!

Mark Kiely

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2021, 01:13:38 AM »
Just having some fun Mark. Do you really think you get a mulligan at Pine Valley?

Well, my point still stands. I haven't played tons of great private courses like many here, but at one of the most exclusive clubs I have played, I was informed by my host on the first tee that's it's tradition to hit two off the first tee if your first ball isn't perfect. Not a fan of that at all.

Edit: Also, you might want to double check the logic of your "joke." You said you do this when playing alone. I doubt Pine Valley has mulligan police to prevent you from taking one if you wanted when playing alone.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 02:42:52 AM by Mark Kiely »

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2021, 02:35:47 AM »
Given that I hit my tee shot onto the beach two days in a row, I am going with NB #2.

Ira

You haven't really played NB until ya hit a shot from the beach. No mulligan on #2. 🙂

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Jeff Schley

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2021, 03:43:11 AM »
Oh wait, you’re actually playing to inflate your ego. Got it.

Yeah agree.  Let's put the bumper rails up at the bowling alley as well.  Or put triple black diamond markers on the green ski slopes. Or pop out of the crowd at the last mile marker for a marathon. ;D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Niall C

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2021, 05:32:15 AM »
I think this thread encapsulates the major difference between golf in the US and golf in the UK. Over here you wouldn't be having this discussion. If it's a bounce game you do what you like and if it is a comp you play it as it lies. Counting every shot every time you are on a golf course, even when you are out for an evening's ramble, is totally alien to the ordinary golfer in this country I'd suggest.

Rather than the UK importing the US style handicapping system that underpins all this nonsense why doesn't the US adopt what was/is (?) the UK approach and leave all the card and pencil stuff for competitions ? Just a thought  ;D

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back