News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Burroughs

Re:College Golf Courses
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2003, 12:03:59 PM »
Brian,

I have heard nothing but the same sentiments about Finley as A.G. stated from perhaps a half a dozen other people.  A waste of money.  I personally have not played the new version (played the old once) to judge for myself.

I have not heard any reviews about the new course at Keith Hills.  A project architect there has posted here in the past.

I have always been a fan of Duke's course, though I moved to the area right after the re-do, so I never played the original.  Everyone says that Rees' (gratis) work improved it quite a bit.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2003, 12:31:40 PM »
Allan
I loved the old Finley dearly.  I also knew without question that it had to be renovated.  The greens were in terrible condition, and the old common bermuda grass was spotty and out of date.  Having said that, I thought it was a wonderful and straightforward traditional layout, strengthened by three excellent holes added off some design work done by Jack Nicklaus when his son was on the golf team there in the 70's.

When I first played the redesign, and didn't like it, I cautioned myself that my opinion might be colored by my love for the old course.  I didn't really believe this, because I did know a renovation was essential, and I was tremendously excited to play it when it reopened.  I went back the next day, and liked it even less.  I've been back two more times, and probably won't bother anymore when I'm in the area, which I am a couple or three times a year.

I should stress that the "new" Finley is exactly that.  It is NOT a renovation.  In fact with the exception of a few holes on either side, you can't even tell where you are in relation to the old course routing.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Allan Long

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2003, 01:38:30 PM »
A.G.,

Very interesting. I too, liked the Cobb design. Other than the conditioning of the Fazio course, I don't see any pluses. When I first got to the area, you could play the Cobb course for under $20, now it's pushing $80 if you play on the weekends. The price of having a big-name designer, I guess.

UNC needed to do something to get closer to Duke's course, but I think they could have done better. I really liked the old 16-18 finish, now the land just sits empty.
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2003, 01:46:43 PM »
Allan
I have wondered ever since what would have happened if UNC had hired an archie to come in, rebuild the greens, sod with hybrid bermuda, put is high quality bunkering, revamp the tee boxes, but not monkey with the routing.  

I loved 18 as a finisher, though I never played it well.  My favorite stretch on the old layout, though, was 4-5-6-7-8.  Great variety of holes, and just a lot of fun to play.  Three short par fours that each played totally differently, a very good three and a good risk-reward 5.  I do miss it!
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

JSlonis

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2003, 01:53:12 PM »
Glad to see my Campbell "Fighting Camels" courses listed.  I had always thought that the original course was quite good.  There are alot of good holes on some pretty interesting terrain.  I have not played the new course as of yet, it was only a pipedream during my four years there(87-91).

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2003, 02:05:45 PM »
Oregon State University (technically the OSU Foundation) owns Trysting Tree Golf Club which has hosted the PAC-10 and NCAA West Regional Championships.  Designed by Ted Robinson (Tommy's favorite architect  ;D), Golfweek at some point put it as one of the top 5 collegiate courses on the west coast.  

J_McKenzie

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2003, 02:10:40 PM »
The University of Georgia GC by Robert T. Jones should be considered.  It is a great layout that takes full advantage of the natural terrain of the land.  It did lose some of it's original character when the greens were redesigned in the late 1980's, but it is still a fun golf course to play.

Furman also has a great course.

John

III

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2003, 02:40:59 PM »
You can also add Methodist College in North Carolina.  They have a nice 18 hole course right on campus.

BCrosby

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2003, 05:14:58 PM »
Add:

Dartmouth College
University of the South (9 holes)
Princeton - it abuts the campus but I'm not sure it is owned by the college.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 03:46:13 PM by BCrosby »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2003, 08:40:37 PM »
Evan--- I am pretty sure Finkbine is also owned by the dreaded Hawkeyes.

IOWA STATE'S VEENKER MEMORIAL GOLF COURSE RECOGNIZED BY 'GOLFWEEK' MAGAZINE

AMES, Iowa -- Iowa State University's Veenker Memorial Golf Course, Ames, has been ranked among "America's Best State Public Access Courses" in the March 1, 2003, issue of "Golfweek" magazine.

In its seventh annual rankings, "Golfweek" identified Veenker Memorial Golf Course as third-best public access course in Iowa. It was the only "classical" (or pre-1960s) course selected among Iowa's top picks. This is Veenker's first appearance on the list.

Other outstanding Iowa courses recognized by "Golfweek" include The Harvester, Rhodes (No. 1); Amana Colonies Golf Course, Amana (No. 2); Spencer Golf and Country Club, Spencer (No. 4); and Spirit Hollow Golf Course, Burlington (No. 5).

"America's Best" rating criteria included ease and intimacy of routing, integrity of original design, natural setting and overall land plan, interest of greens and surrounding contours, variety and memorability of par 3s, 4s and 5s; landscape and tree management and other considerations.

Veenker Memorial Golf Course is a premier championship golf facility owned and operated by Iowa State University. Established in 1938 by George Veenker, former Iowa State athletic director and football coach, the Perry Maxwell-designed course was built by the Works Progress Administration. Veenker Memorial Golf Course offers a full range of golfing activities for the enjoyment and benefit of Iowa State students, faculty, staff and the Ames community.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Doug Wright

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2003, 11:07:35 AM »
A couple more:

St. Bonaventure University (9 holes)
Hamilton College (9 holes)
Twitter: @Deneuchre

John_Cullum

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2003, 11:14:50 AM »
I do not see USAF Academy's Eisenhower GC on the list.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jim_Michaels

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2003, 03:34:58 PM »
Paging Geoffrey Childs! We need somebody to chronicle the Tragedy of U. of Michigan, too!

Mike Worth

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2003, 07:26:03 AM »
Hey Sarge.

I listed both the Silver and Blue Courses - having played both of them frequently during my stay in Colorado Springs (but not with the Air Force - Blech).

Of course the blue is the better of the 2 courses, a pretty standard RT Jones Sr. layout, but interesting nonetheless.  And for what it's worth, I found it to be the best maintained of any military course I played).

While the Silver course is shorter, it does have some good holes and is also an interesting layout from what I remember of it.

John_Cullum

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2003, 09:22:02 AM »
Sorry SS. I only have time to quickly scan these posts. Sometimes I miss critical or not so critical points.

I was just in Col Springs but couldn't get over to the Academy. I had wanted to see the complex and play the Blue, but only had time to walk the Ross portion of the Broadmoor. By the way, I was not overly awed by Broadmoor except for 2 or 3 really good holes on the WEST course.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Lou_Duran

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2003, 10:32:18 AM »
Without a doubt, Ohio State- Scarlet is the epitome of college golf.  Great routing, interesting greens and surrounds, flexibility in set-up, great history, and inexpensive accessibility by students, faculty, and university employees make it so.  Get rid of the spruce trees, rebuild the greens, and go back to the originally proposed bunkering schemes, and it could be a top 50.  During the 1970s, a student annual pass was under $100.  A student locker on the second floor of the clubhouse was $10 or $15.

Texas Tech's The Rawls Course is in this mold, though the fee structure even after accounting for inflation is somewhat higher.  The practice facility at TRC, specially for the golf teams, may be world-class.  

Doug Siebert

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2003, 05:26:14 PM »
Evan, Buck:

Yep, the U of Iowa owns Finkbine (Robert Bruce Harris, 1953).  And finally putting some real money into it lately -- this year they have burned the grass of all the greens, tees and fairways for reseeding with a low-maintenance variety of bent to replace the bent contaminated with 50 years of encroachment on the greens and the bluegrass on the fairways.  A tree removal program wouldn't hurt either (calling "backup trees" thread :))

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how it turns out next season!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

III

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2003, 07:46:49 PM »
You can also add Texas State University (formerlySouthwest Texas State Univeristy) 9 holes in San Marcos, TX.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2003, 12:02:16 AM »
Doug,

Let's pick a date/day/time and check out the work together next Spring or Summer sometime...I've never played Finkbine, but it's on my short list of locals to play!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

highland_foxtrot

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2003, 01:59:17 AM »
Vassar College (9 holes)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back