News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

College Golf Courses
« on: November 12, 2003, 11:56:49 PM »
With all the discussion of the new Rawls Course at Texas Tech and the construction of many new college golf courses in the last few years, I've made a list of some of the courses owned by colleges. I've omitted private courses that colleges use, such as Eastlake(Georgia Tech) or Philadelphia Cricket(U of PA) I remember that a ranking appeared a few years ago. Maybe Brad Klein did it for GW. Maybe GCA could do a ranking? Here's my non-ranked list:
Yale, Stanford, ASU Karsten,New Mexico, Duke, UNC Finlay, Ohio State, Michigan, Purdue,Wisconsin University Ridge,Oklahoma State Karsten Creek, Kansas State Wildcat Hills,Colgate Seven Oaks, Penn State Blue/White, Maryland, Purdue, Notre Dame.
What courses have I omitted? I did omit the new courses at Texas A&M and Texas because they were not developed by the schools but rather licensed by them.
Steve
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 11:58:42 PM by acer2x »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

A_Clay_Man

Re:College Golf Courses
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 12:21:21 AM »
University of So. Florida has a course, or were you only looking for ranked courses?

Other than that, I only know of Carmel High using Pebble Beach as their home course and RLS uses Spy. Not too shabby

bg_in_rtp

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 12:47:18 AM »
Both Duke University (RTJ) and North Carolina (Finley GC - Tom Fazio) have excellent courses that are owned by the university.  Michigan State has 36 holes, and one used to host the Michigan HS championships.

bg_in_rtp

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 01:51:40 AM »
wow, it's getting late.  I repeated two that you had already listed.  for the sake of not dipping into negative numbers, I'll throw out that both Florida and Clemson have their own courses as well.  

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 05:15:30 AM »
* RT Jones Course @ Cornell
* Wells College Golf Course (9 holes near Cornell)
* Taconic - Williams College
* Hanover CC - Dartmouth- Pritchard renovation of Ross
* Princeton - Springdale CC
* The Orchards - Mt Holyoke, Ross course, a few members are regulars here, site of 2004 US Women's Open
* Rutgers GC

** Hotchkiss School GC - Raynor - 9 holes - Prep school
** Lawrenceville School GC
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 05:25:04 AM by Mike_Sweeney »

Michael Moore

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 07:57:38 AM »
Mike -

My understanding is that the Hanover Country Club was designed by Orrin Smith in 1937, with my source being the New England Journal of Golf hot 100.

Perhaps we can see the course next year - I have been impressed with Pritchard's work so far.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

JLahrman

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 08:45:49 AM »
I believe (but am not positive) that Indiana University owns their golf course.

davism5

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2003, 08:48:16 AM »
Auburn University down here in AL.  has a new course that is quite challenging.  It hosted the NCAA east regional this year.

It is called the AUburn University Club.  I am a student and I joined for $250.00 initiative and $30.00 per month.  Can't beat that deal!!!!!

Brian Marion

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2003, 09:19:26 AM »
Furman

plabatt

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2003, 09:30:18 AM »
In Michigan, The MeadowsatGrand Valley State, Katke-CouzinsatFerris State, a PGA managment school, Katke at Oakland University and their new upscale 18.  Huron Meadows (Ron Karl) at Eastern Michigan.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 09:37:43 AM »
DavisM5
Glad to see your post about the Auburn University Club.  It was designed by a good friend, Bill Bergin, who was recently inducted into the AU Hall of Fame, and is a talented up-and-coming architect.  I've had the pleasure of playing the course with him twice, and I think it is just an excellent course and facility.

Brian Gracely
UNC Finley DOES NOT belong on a list of "excellent" university courses.  (Duke does, and it kills me as a Tar Heel to say that!)  I consider my first round at the new Finley to be by far my most disappointing day ever on a new course, and I hope (and expect) that is still true when they throw dirt in on me.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Bye

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2003, 09:40:11 AM »
West Point

SPDB

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2003, 09:42:44 AM »
Michael -
My recollection is that Hanover was designed by Ralph Barton, an alumnus who may have an association with the CBM, SR, CB crew. Time to start a Thread!

JBStansell

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2003, 09:46:50 AM »
The University of Idaho's golf course is situated "in the rolling palouse country," starting out in 1933 as a 9-hole layout and later expanded to 18 in 1968.  Go Vandals!  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 07:46:22 PM by Joe_Stansell »

Willie_Dow

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2003, 09:53:26 AM »
Mike-Mike-&-SPDP

My recollection about Hanover CC is that Barton laid out the original nine, which Prichard used in his redesign.

Mike Worth

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2003, 09:57:44 AM »
You would have to add the 2 Robert Trent Jones courses at the US Air Force Academy (Blue and Silver) and also the Robert Trent Jones course at the US Military Academy at West Point to the list of College owned courses.  

Though only a tad over 6,000 yards (par 70), the USMA course is without doubt the hilliest I have ever played.  An unfortunate renovation of the course occurred in the mid-90s, the result being one of the worst holes in golf, the new #7 par 5, as one of the results.  The other 3 remaining par 5s are easily reachable in 2.  

Matt Dupre

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2003, 10:03:21 AM »
The Naval Academy course in Annapolis is a Flynn that's been discussed on here before.  A fun golf course marred only by giant concrete tower supports!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2003, 10:04:39 AM »
Kansas State's course is called Colbert Hills, not Wildcat Hills.  Designed by 'Keffrey Bauer'.

VT's old 18 is now 9 (to build conference center), so they bought the nearby River Course.

Bucknell has one (right, Eric and Dan?).

U of Va. has Birdwood.

Allan Long

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2003, 10:11:23 AM »
Off the top of my head you can add:
U. of Illinois (2)
Illinois State
Bucknell
Wichita State
U. of Missouri
Campbell (2)
New Mexico State
Southern Miss
Florida State
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 10:12:35 AM by Allan_Long »
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2003, 10:15:17 AM »
Isn't Veenker Memorial Golf Course owned by Iowa State? ...even though the ISU team now calls The Harvester (a Keith Foster course) their "home course".

Also, doesn't the U. of Iowa own Finkbine?  Paging Doug Siebert!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 10:17:08 AM by Evan_Fleisher »
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2003, 10:24:12 AM »
How could I forget Campbell's pair at Keith Hills, designed by the Maples family, Ellis and Dan, respectively?

Got Bucknell, already, Allan!

Alabama has The Capstone Club, designed by Gil Hanse.

Allan Long

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2003, 10:48:06 AM »
Sorry, Scott..we must have crossed in cyberspace.

Forgot to add Jimmy Austin GC at University of Oklahoma.
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

bg_in_rtp

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2003, 11:00:29 AM »
A.G._Crockett,

Have you played Finley GC since it was completely redone several years ago?  You might be the only person I've heard of, at least around the Triangle, that doesn't enjoy the course.  

Scott Burroughs,

Do you know how Keith Hills' new course came out so poorly compared to the old course?  Other than the fact that they appeared to have poorly used all the space they had, it just doesn't seem to have any character.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2003, 11:15:38 AM »
Brian
The redo is what I was referring to.  UNC got less for 8 million dollars than anywhere else I ever seen.  As to others feeling that way, I can't vouch for them.  I will tell you that I played it back to back days when it reopened with a close friend who has served on the greens committee at one of the older clubs in the area and has a tremendous working knowledge of good golf architecture, and the end of the second day we just looked at each other in amazement.

IMHO, Finley isn't even remotely comparable to Duke, and suffers in comparison to a number of other courses in the Triangle, especially on a cost-benefit basis.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Allan Long

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2003, 11:48:22 AM »
A.G.,

I agree on your thoughts of Duke vs. Finley. I am curious to know what you think of the current Fazio layout vs. the original George Cobb design.
--C.B. Macdonald

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back