News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Name a tee at Augusta...
« on: April 09, 2021, 06:59:00 PM »
that doesn't fit modern technology perfectly.

Andrew Harvie

Re: Name a tee at Augusta...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 07:14:36 PM »
1, 2, 3, 4....

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 07:28:07 PM »
that doesn't fit modern technology perfectly.

What do you mean by that? Are you insinuating that if it fits modern technology perfectly that it would also be a poor fit for vintage technology?

Where do the extensive course renovations and lengthening over the last 20 years factor into your question?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 07:48:53 PM »
Yes I think many tees would not fit vintage technology. This is a design website not an engineering one.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 07:54:53 PM »
When Paul Casey hit his drive on 18 and the ball speed was indicated at 174 mph I thought we may have an issue if he didn't reach the fairway bunker. He did.

Reed had 234 yds to 15. He was properly rewarded for a world class long iron.

I spent most of the day watching every shot hit by Rory. I was amazed how the course punished his errors properly.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 08:51:53 PM »
Yes I think many tees would not fit vintage technology. This is a design website not an engineering one.

Any tee in which players hit less than driver today would be well suited for vintage equipment, so 3, 7, 10, 13, 14, and 18 would all perfectly fit that description.

Remember design is just engineering for those who can't do the math and engineering is just design for those without creativity.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 04:13:55 AM »
I think 12 and 16 are timeless par 3's regardless of clubs. I don't know if listing par 3's are cheating, but hole 4 is a brute for sure.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 08:05:10 AM »

They are coming in with wedges or short irons. They should be able to spin the ball. If they cannot stop it, should we look at the firmness of that particular green? Its pitch?

Are tees at ANGC laser leveled, or are they just a bit sloped (invisible to the eye) or slightly angled (as they attributed to Ross on other courses, in the day) to disrupt golfer balance?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 08:10:53 AM »

Any tee in which players hit less than driver today would be well suited for vintage equipment, so 3, 7, 10, 13, 14, and 18 would all perfectly fit that description.

Remember design is just engineering for those who can't do the math and engineering is just design for those without creativity.

More players than ever hit driver on 3 today
7, they nearly all hit drivers-vintage few did
10-most didn't hit driver in vintage years
13 a pretty good case but a trickier tee shot today and many still hit driver
14-more hit drivers now than before-used to have to work it right to left to hold fway w driver
18-well balanced due to tech-about the same

for the record many hit 3 wood on #1 and #2-way more than vintage years
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 09:07:25 AM »
Jeff,

Unless a tee shot today is played exclusively with a Driver (5, 8, 9, 11, 15, 17) Then vintage tech would still be a viable option. Of those holes, how many have been dramatically lengthened over the last 30 years to negate the tech? All but 9 and 17?

As for 3, how much of today's club selection is dictated by the modern driver, and how much is the result of a dramatic shift in thinking on hole strategy based on statistical analysis?

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 11:05:09 AM »
Jeff,

Unless a tee shot today is played exclusively with a Driver (5, 8, 9, 11, 15, 17) Then vintage tech would still be a viable option. Of those holes, how many have been dramatically lengthened over the last 30 years to negate the tech? All but 9 and 17?

As for 3, how much of today's club selection is dictated by the modern driver, and how much is the result of a dramatic shift in thinking on hole strategy based on statistical analysis?

9 and 17 have been lengthened considerably-and match the tech.
3 layup left was ruined by Nicklaus bunkers in early 80's and then second cut.
This year there is fairway short and left of bunkers(a great thing) but they need to lose the two(of 4) teeward bunkers for the layup left to make sense-perfect for today's pin.
Modern length(whatever the reason) made driver an option on 3-Daly was the first
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 11:31:50 AM »
The 9th was 440 in 1974, lengthened to 460 in 2001, plays 460 today.
The 17th has been lengthened more considerably, playing 400 up until 1999, playing 440 today. But still on the shorter range for the holes listed. 15 I believe has also not been lengthened much. 5, 8, and 11 are 45+ yards longer.

Even up until 5 years ago within a threesome only one, maybe two, players would pull their driver off of 3 tee. While the trend may have started 40 years ago with vintage tech, the abandonment of the layup is a very new strategy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back