News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

ANGC 5th Hole has kept up well with technology
« on: April 10, 2021, 03:13:54 PM »
I love this hole and think this has kept up with technology advancements with it's most recent lengthening. I have no idea how this plays for the membership, but this week only Champ, Bryson and maybe a couple others can carry the fairway bunker. Then you have a great green with run offs and movement that makes up and downs very challenging. The only thing I don't like is adding more trees to the left of the fairway bunkers, not needed and just adds more penalty to an already difficult approach from short left of the bunkers.

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ben Hollerbach

Re: ANGC 5th Hole has kept up well with technology
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 03:52:02 PM »
I think the 5th may be one of the most undervalued holes in golf. At 495 it's only 15 yards shorter than the 13th, yet one is a par 4 and one is a par 5. Since they lengthened the 5th, I've been please to see the scoring dispersion on the hole has looked very similar to the 13th.

YearHole  3    4    5    6    7+
2019   5    13  182  103  6  0
2019   13   17  158  102  23  4
2020   5    10  113  35  1  1
2020   13   5  75  62  15  4
2021   5    5  99  63  7  5
2021   13   6  82  66  17  10

the 13th is universally applauded for its scoring variance and potential for any score at any time, The 5th is capable of the same variance, but it's rarely ever spoken about. Is it because it's too early in the round or void of any water and azaleas?

Mark Kiely

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 05:34:09 PM »
I think it's that eagles are sexier than birdies. Eliminate par and then you'd get your wish.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 06:21:20 PM »
The 5th at ANGC hasn’t “kept up with technology advancements”, it has been lengthened by 60 yards over the past 18 years.

Those are two very different things.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 11:44:55 PM »
The 5th at ANGC hasn’t “kept up with technology advancements”, it has been lengthened by 60 yards over the past 18 years.

Those are two very different things.
Scott that was my point is that is HAS been lengthened and in doing so has countered the gains in technology.
"I love this hole and think this has kept up with technology advancements with it's most recent lengthening."
- Steve Prefontaine

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 05:02:28 AM »
How can something that was only recently been lengthened (at the cost of moving a public road) be "keeping" up with technology?

I could probably keep up with a world-class marathon runner if I started within 400m of the finish line, too.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 05:46:13 AM »
Jeff,

If money weren’t an object at every other club the way it isn’t for ANGC, everyone could “keep up with technology”.

I understand the point you’re seeking to make, but I don’t think there’s anything to celebrate in the avoidable millions that have been spent to make the 5th at ANGC more difficult to make par on.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 06:42:05 AM »
Some photos from Sven's wonderful thread - https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61416.0.html
Note the reference in MacKenzie's description to the 17th at TOC.
atb

Below - for 5th see otherwise numbered 14th and note MacKenzie's words about the 17th at TOC.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 08:21:55 AM »
Although there is a cost to the changes, it provides the sternest of tests for the best players. Through 3 rounds it is the #1 toughest hole at 4.45, yielding only 5 birdies and 11 "others". It was always a test and going back to 1952 it was the #2 toughest hole at 440 yards. So moving the tee box back has kept it relevant as one of the toughest holes on the course along with #11. Of course moving the bunkers was costly as well.
- Steve Prefontaine

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 10:06:49 AM »
Agree with the premise of the thread.

and Scott is right that it was totally avoidable.

Letting the hole devolve into a drive and pitch wouldn't solve the issue of the USGA/R&A's inaction while Rome burned.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 11:50:00 AM »
BTW Jack holed out TWICE on #5 in 1995! Talk about picking up strokes on the field.

Two Eagles, One Hole (Par 4), One Tournament
Jack Nicklaus 1995, first round, No. 5, first and third round
- Steve Prefontaine

archie_struthers

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 11:56:28 AM »
 8) ???

Talked about this hole on another thread. Given the severity of the green/surrounds perhaps the second shot it too long? Yesterday they had lots of guys hitting long irons and some even "furniture" (Rose) .  Doesn't t just give the bombers too much of an edge ?

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 12:02:24 PM »
8) ???

Talked about this hole on another thread. Given the severity of the green/surrounds perhaps the second shot it too long? Yesterday they had lots of guys hitting long irons and some even "furniture" (Rose) .  Doesn't t just give the bombers too much of an edge ?

Need the odd hole that requires furniture-especially to such a difficult green.
Quite a few par 4's there require the same thing-a downhill lie to an uphill green.
This one presents some second shot ground game for many.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Carl Rogers

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 05:58:24 PM »
I wonder if some players will play their tee shots short of the bunkers and then a 240 yard approach shot.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 08:14:56 AM »
I wonder if some players will play their tee shots short of the bunkers and then a 240 yard approach shot.

Zalatoris hit 3 woods off tee, the older players do it by accident, but t's not 240 left if they get up near the bunker.
It's 280 uphill from tee to first bunker.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back