News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Covesea
« on: April 06, 2021, 03:13:26 PM »
Just been reading this recent lovely article here:

https://www.thelinksdiary.com/post/build-it-and-they-shall-come-covesea-links?utm_campaign=95374605-8806-4e15-85f3-a73851e27353&utm_source=so&utm_medium=mail&cid=0eb530ce-dff2-4366-a98a-e140cd74c1a5

I don’t recall seeing many pics of the Course here and would guess that The Luddite Carlton will never have posted any from his sojourn in the frozen north. Anyone have any recent daguerreotypes?
F.

PS I did check a few threads in the search engine, but didn’t see anything.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 03:15:10 PM by Marty Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David_Tepper

Thomas Dai

Re: Covesea
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 03:35:39 PM »
Not proposing there should be one but if there was a GCA ‘Like’ icon I’d click on it in relation to this course/thread.
Atb

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 07:40:49 PM »
Grand news! The Luddite-in-Chief has emailed me some great-looking pics.
I’ll sort them out and upload after golf tomorrow afternoon/evening.
F.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 10:20:17 AM »
I struggled a bit getting the images out of the L-I-C’s emails, so here they are as best I can organise them. 15 images, so I’ll do them in three fives. Looks incredibly intriguing. Hopefully, he’ll give us some commentary.

Next five to follow,
F.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 10:24:29 AM »
7 green
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 10:25:17 AM »
7 tee shot

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 10:26:04 AM »
Images 6-10:

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 10:26:23 AM »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 10:31:01 AM »
And 11 to 15:

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 10:32:49 AM »
The bar   AKA 1 Tee

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 10:33:31 AM »
Hole #1

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 10:35:01 AM »
#2 tee shot

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2021, 10:35:43 AM »
2 green

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2021, 10:36:27 AM »
4 tee shot

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 10:37:35 AM »
5 green

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 10:45:43 AM »
Niall’s original thoughts/comments:
I’m not sure of the origins of Covesea golf course (pronounced co-see). Local golfers that I know tell me there has been a course there for as long as they can remember. Originally a pay and play 12 hole par 3 course, the course latterly was more often closed than open and eventually it was taken over and redesigned into a 9 hole course.
Located next bay along from Moray Old and New at Lossiemouth, the course is hidden in a cove complete with sea stacks, links turf and small tight greens. Be warned, not a course to be playing with your best balls or indeed with a score card but don’t let that put you off.
1st – 197 yds as you see it, a rolling fairway and natural green without any bunkers. Probably the biggest green on the course.
2nd – 304 yds tighter than a gnats chuff with a gorse covered mound biting into the landing area. Driver not advised. Tight green with bunkers cutting into the green right and left.
3rd – 311 yds chance to open the shoulders hopefully leaving a short pitch to (very) small narrow slightly raised green.
4th – 403 yds – longest hole on the course ! As straight forward as they come on this course. Rumple plus fairway with an approach to un-bunkered green.
5th – 92 yds uphill blind shorty to a raised sloping green. Thank your lucky stars if you land on the green and say another thank you if you’re below the hole. Another bunkerless hole.
6th – 238 yds – what’s better than a long par 3 from an elevated tee. A chance to have a pop at the green with a wood, marvellous.
7th – 131 yds – shortish par 3 to a tiered green however the difficulty is that it’s a blind shot played over a sea stack.
8th – 241 yds – par 4 with a drive from an elevated tee, through a gap between a sea stack and a cliff to a hidden green.
9th Hole – 109 yds played to an extremely small saddle shaped green. Drop off in front and another drop off to the rear.

Not the greatest course you’ll ever play or even the best 9 hole course but certainly lots of fun. After 18 holes at Lossie, you could do worse than finishing the day with 9 holes at Covesea.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 11:39:56 AM »
Looks wonderful. :)
Thanks for posting.
Atb

James Reader

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 02:53:22 PM »
Several of the greens are fantastic fun.

The 5th is a thin crescent shape, which can’t be more than 5 or 6 paces wide at any point, with steep drop offs on all sides.  As Niall suggests, miss it with your completely blind tee shot and it’s a struggle to hit it with your second (and third...) as well.

The steeply tiered 7th is again the target for a blind tee shot and the top tier (where the flag was when I played) is absolutely tiny.  It was far from easy to hit that tier with a putt from the front of the green, let alone off the tee.

And the 9th is one of the smallest greens I’ve seen and steeply saddled (if that’s even a word).

I played last August with every intention, and really only enough time, to play just nine holes, but went straight back to the 1st tee for another go round (dropping another £10 in the honest box on my way past). The best value in golf?  Maybe.

Niall C

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 05:30:32 PM »
FBD

Well done, you have found your new vocation as a minion.

Ludd

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2021, 05:31:35 PM »

James,

It's one of those courses that I try not to oversell because it's not a great course but it does have some really good golf golf on it. The half wedge shot at the last to the saddle green is almost worth the greenfee alone. A warning to the faint-hearted though, standing on the 7th tee when golfers are playing from either the 6th or 8th tees is a dangerous place to be.

Did you play Moray when you were up ?

Niall

James Reader

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 04:04:53 PM »
I didn’t Niall.  I was only in the area for a couple of days and couldn’t get a time on Moray.  I played Covesea and Spey Bay, which were probably about my 5th and 6th choices but I thoroughly enjoyed them both.  I must get back up there soon. 
First step though is to get into Scotland as soon as Nicola opens the border!

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2021, 07:34:16 PM »
Covesea might not be a great course, but the setting is wonderfully secluded and makes for a memorable round. I played it on a whim a couple of hours before sunset one evening, and had the course to myself. Hit a second tee ball on #5 though -- even if you think you hit your first one stiff, you're might still be in for a surprise....

If one is playing Moray, it's almost criminal to leave without spending an hour-plus taking a spin around Covesea.

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2021, 05:00:32 AM »
And 11 to 15:

FBD

What's the name of the lighthouse?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back