News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Could Andy Warhol have improved on Mona Lisa?
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2021, 03:25:08 PM »
Sometimes the best ones attract the most attention and maybe not always in a good way.

Another application of the Willie Sutton rule.  The clubs with the most money to spend are the most likely to spend it.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2021, 03:41:02 PM »
And honestly, I'm not sure how many people think it is truly a great BUILDING, or museum building. 

The Louvre is included on Architectural Digest's list of Top 50 Iconic Buildings from around the world. 

That's probably the equivalent of a Golf Mag Top 5 world ranking.

It would be hard to argue that it did not become a better museum building after Pei's subterranean complex was added.  Perhaps there's an analogy to a course adding a subair system, making the ANGC comparison fairly apt in this regard.

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2021, 03:53:01 PM »
Also, let's not forget that ANGC was a nursery before it was golf course, just as the Louvre was a fortress/palace before it was a museum.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2021, 04:19:52 PM »
I think "designer intent" is the most interesting as it relates to this topic.  Especially given all the designers are now no longer with us.

If the Louve was being restored "as close as possible" to what it was in 1793 when it first became a museum, would everyone would be OK with that?  Without modern amenities, bathroom, lights, etc? 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back