News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Re: Walker Cup: $500 3-day Passes ONLY...Really?
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2021, 08:24:58 PM »
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but what do you get for the $500? 

If you get free parking, and access an air conditioned corporate tent with lunch and drinks and big screen TV then it becomes a nice experience.  This is what I had at the Walker Cup at LACC and it was great.

JESII

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2021, 08:38:26 PM »
It says the Trophy Club package, which I’d assume is what you experienced.

But you’re missing the point...this is all about greed

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2021, 08:48:56 PM »
It says the Trophy Club package, which I’d assume is what you experienced.

But you’re missing the point...this is all about greed

Jim, from your perspective, at what price would it not be about greed?  400?  200?  50?  Free?  Also does it matter to you what the revenue from ticket sales is used for?  Do you have any idea how it will be used?

JESII

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2021, 09:52:29 PM »
Joe,

I don’t think this is greedy. I see it as offering a tremendous value to one of the top couple sport viewing opportunities of the year.  My reaction(s) on this thread are derived from the incessant whining about how terrible the USGA is for golf.

I think the USGA donates the vast majority of their income to organizations that could use their help such as local and regional golf associations and golf related charitable organizations. I’d just put this $1,000,000 ($500 X 2,000 tickets?) in that ledger and add it all up.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2021, 10:29:29 PM »
Joe,

I don’t think this is greedy. I see it as offering a tremendous value to one of the top couple sport viewing opportunities of the year.  My reaction(s) on this thread are derived from the incessant whining about how terrible the USGA is for golf.

I think the USGA donates the vast majority of their income to organizations that could use their help such as local and regional golf associations and golf related charitable organizations. I’d just put this $1,000,000 ($500 X 2,000 tickets?) in that ledger and add it all up.

Yeah sorry...should have put together your previous comments and realized it was sarcasm.

I don't think of it as greed either, however I see it as an attempt limit losses.  I can understand the perspective that this year the USGA should dip into their significant reserves.
USGA 2019 Financial Statements.pdf

V. Kmetz

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2021, 11:08:22 PM »
The horse is out of the barn...all these spectator sports: puffed, inflated, monetized, exploited, oversold, over promoted, over brokered, over licensed, all the Entertainment ROI spurs go jingle-jangle-jingo...

I'm not gonna blame them, as they weren't getting me there on most any terms.  Not only can I not afford this package, but certainly not the 1.5-3k for a long weekend down there that comes before it, so it's like Pebble charging $800 and the Lodge stay...charge $800,000 for all I care.

I'd say TV's good enough, but they'll figure a way to sting me there too...new plus+platforms, stream only, watch pass this or that... my entire attitude towards most sports, even golf, has evolved, if it don't come cheap or easy to me, I'm ok with something else.

Oh yeah and these guys are amateurs....makes me remember that if you want the absolute single best value in elite golf watching at the highest level, attend a 36 hole US Open sectional at the nearest venue, bring a nap-sack with eats, you might even link in to the club spread buffet...watch a lot of superb players up close on some interesting courses... price? FREE-FIDDY.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2021, 02:00:55 AM »
Does anyone have a guess as to how many people did watch the Walker Cup at Merion, Chicago or LACC?

Are we talking hundreds of people or thousands?
Jim,

I think there were about 5,000 at NGLA.
Tim Weiman

Steve Lapper

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2021, 07:02:19 AM »
$13.25 million in "Governance" costs.

$7.8 million in Salaries and benefits" to Governance.

$1.475 million in "consulting and professional services" to Governance

$73.7million in projected benefit obligation (Approximately 20% of it recurring unfunded)

And they want you to contribute more of your cash for their efforts. Geez!

PS...I do guess we should be happy they stopped spending millions on private air charter for the Executive and Nominating Committee members.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Jeff Schley

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2021, 08:16:22 AM »
Looked up their 990 for FY 2019.  https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2020/990-2019-usga.pdf
Income Statement
  • Total revenue = $231m (championships = $150m, dues = $11m)
  • Total expenses = $199m (prize money = $23m, IT services = $16m )
  • Net = $32 million
Balance sheet
  • Assets = $509m (BTW $400m are investments)
  • Liabilities =$124m ($39m in deferred comp/retirement benefits)
  • Net = $385m
Officer, key employees, highly compensated individuals - total compensation = $7,392,839
  • Mike Davis, CEO - $1.27m
  • Susan Pikitch, CFO - $583k
  • Christopher Fraser, Secretary & CLO - $557k
  • Michael Butz - Sr. Managing Dir. - $577k
  • John Bodenhamer - Sr. Managing Dir - $793k
  • Randon Jerris, Sr. Managing Dir - $606k
  • Steven Schloss, Chief People Officer - $633k
  • Thomas Pagel, Sr. Managing Dir. - $427k
  • Reginald Jones, Managing Dir. US Open - $446k
  • Mary Lopuszynski, Manging Dir. Merchandise - $395k
  • Criag Annis, Chief Brand Officer - $407k
  • Anthony Greco, Head of Field Service, RA - $379k
  • Navindra Signh, Chief Commercial Officer - $444k
Notes on Mike Davis / other benefitsTHE USGA HAS A WRITTEN POLICY REGARDING USE OF CORPORATE JET SHARES. SUCH USE IS STRICTLY LIMITED TO USGA BUSINESS TRAVEL, AS PER USGA POLICY, AND IS SUBJECT TO AUDIT COMMITTEE REVIEW AND APPROVAL. THE USGA'S EXPENSE REIMBURSEMENT POLICY EXCLUDES REIMBURSEMENTS FOR HEALTH CLUB DUES AND SOCIAL CLUB DUES. HOWEVER, ONE SPECIAL EXCEPTION TO THE SOCIAL CLUB DUES RESTRICTION WAS SPECIFICALLY APPROVED BY THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE AND/OR THE COMPENSATION COMMITTEE. THIS EXCEPTION IS FOR THE CEO AND IS BASED ON THE SPECIFIC USGA BUSINESS NEEDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE POSITION HELD. TRAVEL FOR COMPANION PROVIDED IS STRICTLY LIMITED FOR USGA BUSINESS TRAVEL, AS PER USGA POLICY AND IS SUBJECT TO AUDIT COMMITTEE REVIEW AND APPROVAL.

BTW notable expenses
  • Travel = $9,403,658
  • Grants and other assistance to domestic organizations and domestic governments = $6,614,554
Hmmm so this means that they spend almost $3 million more on travel than grants to state/local organizations.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 08:25:00 AM by Jeff Schley »
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John_Cullum

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2021, 11:41:11 AM »
For what its worth, they sold out pretty quickly
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Bruce Katona

« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2021, 02:48:54 PM »
So I took the time to read 3 pages of this and I guess my comprehension of English is lacking:

$500 for a 3 day pass isn't cheap and no one has opined on what the daily tix entitles the holder to:

1. Port-a-potty and wander around the grounds to watch play and purchase F&B ala carte or
2. CH access, real rest rooms, Air conditioning (its Florida in the warm weather folks) and perhaps a F&B coupon

What I'm not getting and what I didn't see commented on is why there are no daily passes available at $175/per day?

I am not nor have I ever been a blindly loyal follower of the spit and swill Far Hills Blue Blazers but they certainly have done nothing to grow the game. IMHO

John_Cullum

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2021, 03:19:53 PM »
I never could get any idea of what the "Trophy Club" ticket was from the USGA. I was somewhat interested in going, even at $500. That was for all 3 days, with food and beverage, but no indication of what that meant. I also never could determine if the ticket was transferable. It could certainly be worth $175 per day. I went to the site 30 minutes after it opened and all were gone. None are available on stubhub or ebay at an inflated price as of this time. All of which leads me to believe the USGA had in reality sold all of the tickets to a selected group before the sale even started.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

JESII

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2021, 04:15:47 PM »
Bruce,

The $500 covers parking, shuttle and all food and drink all three days.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2021, 07:51:44 PM »
I'm going to qualify my initial opinion on Trophy Club being a one-and-done. In 2025, I hope that we are past Covid restrictions, and that the 2025 Walker Cup at Cypress Point is able to feature a Trophy Club AND affordable daily tickets for less-affluent golf fans.

The Walker and Curtis were always low-key events for adults. You kinda want to watch adults play, once you become an adult.

I don't know who spectates at National Junior events. Would I go for the course? Maybe. You can't plan too far out, as seen below. Girls, then Boys.

2021-Columbia CC and CC North Carolina
2022-Club at Olde Stone and ???
2023 and beyond-No sites
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean_A

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2021, 04:22:39 AM »
Looked up their 990 for FY 2019.  https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2020/990-2019-usga.pdf
Income Statement
  • Total revenue = $231m (championships = $150m, dues = $11m)
  • Total expenses = $199m (prize money = $23m, IT services = $16m )
  • Net = $32 million
Balance sheet
  • Assets = $509m (BTW $400m are investments)
  • Liabilities =$124m ($39m in deferred comp/retirement benefits)
  • Net = $385m
Officer, key employees, highly compensated individuals - total compensation = $7,392,839
  • Mike Davis, CEO - $1.27m
  • Susan Pikitch, CFO - $583k
  • Christopher Fraser, Secretary & CLO - $557k
  • Michael Butz - Sr. Managing Dir. - $577k
  • John Bodenhamer - Sr. Managing Dir - $793k
  • Randon Jerris, Sr. Managing Dir - $606k
  • Steven Schloss, Chief People Officer - $633k
  • Thomas Pagel, Sr. Managing Dir. - $427k
  • Reginald Jones, Managing Dir. US Open - $446k
  • Mary Lopuszynski, Manging Dir. Merchandise - $395k
  • Criag Annis, Chief Brand Officer - $407k
  • Anthony Greco, Head of Field Service, RA - $379k
  • Navindra Signh, Chief Commercial Officer - $444k
Notes on Mike Davis / other benefitsTHE USGA HAS A WRITTEN POLICY REGARDING USE OF CORPORATE JET SHARES. SUCH USE IS STRICTLY LIMITED TO USGA BUSINESS TRAVEL, AS PER USGA POLICY, AND IS SUBJECT TO AUDIT COMMITTEE REVIEW AND APPROVAL. THE USGA'S EXPENSE REIMBURSEMENT POLICY EXCLUDES REIMBURSEMENTS FOR HEALTH CLUB DUES AND SOCIAL CLUB DUES. HOWEVER, ONE SPECIAL EXCEPTION TO THE SOCIAL CLUB DUES RESTRICTION WAS SPECIFICALLY APPROVED BY THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE AND/OR THE COMPENSATION COMMITTEE. THIS EXCEPTION IS FOR THE CEO AND IS BASED ON THE SPECIFIC USGA BUSINESS NEEDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE POSITION HELD. TRAVEL FOR COMPANION PROVIDED IS STRICTLY LIMITED FOR USGA BUSINESS TRAVEL, AS PER USGA POLICY AND IS SUBJECT TO AUDIT COMMITTEE REVIEW AND APPROVAL.

BTW notable expenses
  • Travel = $9,403,658
  • Grants and other assistance to domestic organizations and domestic governments = $6,614,554
Hmmm so this means that they spend almost $3 million more on travel than grants to state/local organizations.

I haven't checked recently, but my impression of the USGA is that it was improving in terms of the percentage of income being used to deliver services. Given the nature of the USGA it isn't surprising that its travel expenses would seem to be high.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2021, 10:01:56 AM »
The USGA certainly won’t make a profit out of the Walker Cup, anyone who thinks they will is deluded. Forget the blazers the travel, accommodation and food expenses for the players, guests and officials like referees will be substantial as will venue fees even if Seminole isn’t actually charging a hosting fee. Agronomy support and greenkeeper overtime, volunteer expenses, etc add up.
Cave Nil Vino

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2021, 10:35:27 AM »
I have no axe to grind with anyone who thinks the prices are fair.  I have moved on and feel good about my decision to not support the event.  But one clarification, one must purchase all 3 days.  The first day, practice round, is a waste of time to attend.  The players will generally be off the course by noon so they can rest and prep for the opening ceremonies at night.  You are really spending $500 for two days of watching golf.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Niall C

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2021, 10:44:02 AM »
The USGA certainly won’t make a profit out of the Walker Cup, anyone who thinks they will is deluded. Forget the blazers the travel, accommodation and food expenses for the players, guests and officials like referees will be substantial as will venue fees even if Seminole isn’t actually charging a hosting fee. Agronomy support and greenkeeper overtime, volunteer expenses, etc add up.

Mark

They do but in the greater scheme of things I think the point most folk are making is that this is a showpiece event that should be used to promote the sport, and that might be best done by letting in a greater cross section of the golfing and indeed non-golfing community. Looking at the financials that were posted earlier, I think they can afford to lose a bit of money. Let's just call it money well spent on marketing.

Niall

jeffwarne

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2021, 10:09:57 AM »

Mark

They do but in the greater scheme of things I think the point most folk are making is that this is a showpiece event that should be used to promote the sport, and that might be best done by letting in a greater cross section of the golfing and indeed non-golfing community. Looking at the financials that were posted earlier, I think they can afford to lose a bit of money. Let's just call it money well spent on marketing.

Niall

This.

The idea that any one "event" should strive to be "profitable" is ludicrous, given that they have many hundreds of millions in excess from other ventures. Besides, most often "profitability" is based on what accounting system one uses.

I used to work with one of the employees listed, who has a big job.
Great to see she is doing well.

I would be curious if the clubs have any say in how the tickets are packaged and sold.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve Lapper

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2021, 11:01:44 AM »

Mark

Niall

This.

The idea that any one "event" should strive to be "profitable" is ludicrous, given that they have many hundreds of millions in excess from other ventures. Besides, most often "profitability" is based on what accounting system one uses.

I used to work with one of the employees listed, who has a big job.
Great to see she is doing well.

I would be curious if the clubs have any say in how the tickets are packaged and sold.

Niall is 100% spot on.

JeffWarne,

She is probably the most deserved of her salary of everyone on that list. She protects and builds a sustainable revenue model that only one other person on that list claim to do. In fact, a raise should be in order for her, especially in light for how much some of the others are making.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back