News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

Walker Cup Tickets - Pine Valley 1985
« on: April 01, 2021, 02:12:35 PM »
......just a little perspective:

It was February 1985 when my boss and I discovered that the Walker Cup was going to be at Pine Valley in August. OMG! A chance to see Pine Valley, something I wanted since 1966 when I purchased my first golf architecture book: Sports Illustrated’s Best 18 Holes in America.

So we called the USGA and were told that the club itself would be handling tickets.

Ok, we promptly called Pine Valley and to our amazement were told we had to write the club and explain why we wanted to attend! Then, for a couple days we crafted our letter citing the history of the Walker Cup and Pine Valley and the virtues of amateur golf.

Satisfied we had done our best, we nervously sent off our letter hoping we had touched the right cords.

Well, months went by and we heard nothing. By June we were really concerned and decided to once again call Pine Valley. Yes, we were told, they had received our letter and the next step was to fill out an application which we received not long after.

Now, we were asked not only our contact information but also where we went to school and where we worked! Progress, I thought. I can say “Princeton”.....”Standard Oil”.....surely that has to be acceptable.

Well, I guess it was. Only one more hurdle: we had to send Pine Valley $10. We were absolutely thrilled!

Little did we know only about 2,000 people would attend and we could walk the fairways with the players.

And so it was we stood with Bob Lewis and his caddy on the final afternoon in the middle of the 16th fairway.

Lewis asked his caddy for the yardage. “185” the caddy quickly replied.

Not satisfied, Lewis asked: “Is it 185 or 185 1/2”. Again, the caddy quickly replied “185”.

Still not satisfied, Lewis asked for his yardage in the morning round. Once again the answer was “185” and the caddy pulled the 4 iron out of the bag, the club Lewis hit that morning.

“Put that back in the bag”, Lewis told his caddy. “I don’t want it on your conscience if we lose the Walker Cup”.

Lewis then grabbed his 5 iron taking water behind and to the right out of play. His shot came to rest about 3 feet from the pin effectively closing out the match and the Cup for the American team.

That letter, the application and our $10 were well worth it. Thank you, Pine Valley!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 01:45:12 AM by Tim_Weiman »
Tim Weiman

JESII

Re: Walker Cup Tickets - Pine Valley 1985
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 02:56:10 PM »
Archie - who was the caddy?

Tim, imagine being the guy screening those applications!!!

Different times for sure. Great stuff!

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 06:33:52 PM »

Different times for sure. Great stuff!

+1

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 07:28:22 PM »
I am not seeing much change at Pine Valley from 1985 to 2019:

https://golf.com/news/army-navy-golf-match-held-at-pine-valley/

Pat Owen, head coach of the Navy golf team, had a problem. In even years, Navy goes to West Point and plays Army in a two-day match there. In odd years, Army comes to Annapolis, in small-town Maryland. Owen’s problem was that 2019 is an odd year, the Navy course was closed for renovations and the historic Army-Navy golf match requires a chunk of weekend tee times in the gorgeous light of early fall.

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

archie_struthers

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 09:16:53 PM »
 ;D

Tim,  I'm pretty sure that one of my jobs as assistant that year was reading ticket requests and passing on the best ones to Charley, my boss. So you are most welcome lol!

As to Sully's question most likely Joe Falkenstein (RIP) caddied for Bob Lewis, who had set the competitive course record of 64 a few years prior.  Elmer Larsen caddied for Jay Sigel and Broadway Joe was on Peter Baker's bag for the Brits.

Some of the notables that year

USA   Scott Verplank            British     Paul Mayo

Davis Love 3rd                         Peter McAvoy

Duffy Waldorf                           Colin Montgomerie

Jerry Haas                               Garth McGimpsey

Quite a week , and lots of great golf!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 09:21:23 PM by archie_struthers »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 01:53:54 AM »
Archie,

I believe you are correct regarding Joe Falkenstein as caddy for Bob Lewis. Joe was also his caddy when Bob shot that 64.

Their exchange on #16 was my most memorable golf experience. It was incredible to be able to stand that close to hear what they said.

I would love to know who had the idea of requiring a letter. That was beautiful. We loved it!
Tim Weiman

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 02:40:00 AM »
;D

Tim,  I'm pretty sure that one of my jobs as assistant that year was reading ticket requests and passing on the best ones to Charley, my boss. So you are most welcome lol!

As to Sully's question most likely Joe Falkenstein (RIP) caddied for Bob Lewis, who had set the competitive course record of 64 a few years prior.  Elmer Larsen caddied for Jay Sigel and Broadway Joe was on Peter Baker's bag for the Brits.

Some of the notables that year

USA   Scott Verplank            British     Paul Mayo

Davis Love 3rd                         Peter McAvoy

Duffy Waldorf                           Colin Montgomerie

Jerry Haas                               Garth McGimpsey

Quite a week , and lots of great golf!
WOW what a lineup!  2 questions for Archie.
1. How were the pairings done back then?  Was there any alternate declaration of who is playing and the other captain matching it?  Or did each side blindly submit their match lineup for that session, without being able to do any matchups?
2. Tell me about what seems like an epic Montgomerie vs. Verplank matchup!  I know Verplank was #1 amateur at that time. Did you see any of this?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

JMEvensky

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 05:43:15 AM »
Archie, TEP told me he watched DL3 go around PV without hitting driver, playing only 1-irons. Is this the year he was talking about?

JESII

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 06:48:25 AM »
That would have been the week Jeff.

The only specific shot I remember Tom describing was a 4 iron from the back of the 5th tee to the back of the green. 240 or 245 uphill into a little breeze. I'd bet any other player in those matches that got the ball to the middle of the green (assuming the tees stayed fairly far back) would have done it with a headcover...

archie_struthers

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 07:48:18 AM »
 8)

To Jeff's questions had the team Captains pick their line-up the night before in a 1.2.3 etc order.  Don't believe there is any jockeying for position as they are turned in simultaneously. (not verified)

Wan't caddying at that point so didn't see as much golf as I wanted to did see DL 3rd launch a couple 3 irons on #5. hastened my retirement from the game  8)

Monty was a roly poly 19 year old with a ton of game but it wasn't his best week. Verplank had so many wraps on his putter that I figured he couldn't putt ::)

Peter Baker was by far the best player that week !

The best player that week was Peter Baker. no doubt! 

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 02:10:35 PM »
I attended that tournament as well.  I don't recall how I received the ticket, but it seems we parked at a school and took a bus.

I'm not sure what day I was there but it poured rain, all day.  Scott Verplank was the star attraction, I think he had won a pro tournament as an amateur.  If I recall he was paired with Jay Siegel and the crowds for that group was quite large.

I still have the program and a few players had signed it.  A few years ago Monty was at Olympic Club so I brought it and asked him to sign it.  When he saw it he opened it up and looked at a few photos.  Said it was the best course he's ever seen and thanked me for showing it to him. 

JMEvensky

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 02:14:42 PM »
That would have been the week Jeff.

The only specific shot I remember Tom describing was a 4 iron from the back of the 5th tee to the back of the green. 240 or 245 uphill into a little breeze. I'd bet any other player in those matches that got the ball to the middle of the green (assuming the tees stayed fairly far back) would have done it with a headcover...

If must've been something 36 years ago. I know it impressed the hell out of TEP.

JohnVDB

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 08:59:13 PM »
I am not seeing much change at Pine Valley from 1985 to 2019:

https://golf.com/news/army-navy-golf-match-held-at-pine-valley/

Pat Owen, head coach of the Navy golf team, had a problem. In even years, Navy goes to West Point and plays Army in a two-day match there. In odd years, Army comes to Annapolis, in small-town Maryland. Owen’s problem was that 2019 is an odd year, the Navy course was closed for renovations and the historic Army-Navy golf match requires a chunk of weekend tee times in the gorgeous light of early fall.

Thanks to COVID-19, this has flipped and this years match is being held in two weeks up at West Point. One of my favorite events to work.  A bunch of really great young men.

John McCarthy

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 03:39:54 PM »
I attended that tournament as well.  I don't recall how I received the ticket, but it seems we parked at a school and took a bus.

I'm not sure what day I was there but it poured rain, all day.  Scott Verplank was the star attraction, I think he had won a pro tournament as an amateur.  If I recall he was paired with Jay Siegel and the crowds for that group was quite large.

I still have the program and a few players had signed it.  A few years ago Monty was at Olympic Club so I brought it and asked him to sign it.  When he saw it he opened it up and looked at a few photos.  Said it was the best course he's ever seen and thanked me for showing it to him.

Verplank won The Western Open at Butler that year.  I looped in the tournament, missed the cut. Famously Verplank was a broke amateur and the members at Butler passed the hat and paid the caddy.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back