News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

When you know it's a Doak
« on: March 26, 2021, 03:48:00 PM »
Based solely on the review found below what about this course screams "Doak". Is the long climb to a tee a Doak staple?

https://www.chicagogolfreport.com/lost-dunes-golf-club-in-bridgman-michigan/

I have much fonder memories of the course than this review would indicate. Maybe the left handed golfer makes everything look uncomfortable and wet.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: When you know it's a Doak
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 04:45:47 PM »
And the damned photographer takes his picture during his swing.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 06:04:44 PM »
Joe Lee was a helluva architect. Seriously.

Ira

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 06:16:14 PM »

I have much fonder memories of the course than this review would indicate. Maybe the left handed golfer makes everything look uncomfortable and wet.

Of course you do.  We were winning our match!

SL_Solow

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 07:14:52 PM »
On a more serious note, I didn't think the review was negative.  I think the author was trying to be descriptive.  I would not describe him as being particularly sophisticated architecturally.  Incidentally, I really enjoy the golf course as I have commented on prior threads.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 12:26:40 AM »
About fifteen years ago I almost joined. It is a pretty grand place. I love the shots into and around the greens. They’re pretty fun and I enjoy using my imagination which is required.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bill Seitz

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 12:47:00 AM »

Of course you do.  We were winning our match!

Ugh, thanks for reminding me of the day I got to keep looking for George Freeman's errant tee shots. 

My first round with JK, before I was even on GCA.  Just seemed like a nice guy with whom to play a round of golf. Little did I know...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 11:44:29 AM »

Ugh, thanks for reminding me of the day I got to keep looking for George Freeman's errant tee shots. 

My first round with JK, before I was even on GCA.  Just seemed like a nice guy with whom to play a round of golf. Little did I know...

I think JK was "suspended" from the site at the time so I had to sneak him into the field.

Going off the first tee of that match, he said to me, "I don't think I have ever lost a foursomes match.  Most people are so uptight about hitting a bad shot for their partner.  If I hit a bad one I am going to laugh at your predicament."  But I don't think he hit many bad shots!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 11:54:45 AM »
The golfer cannot hear a camera going off at that point. It is actually worse to take the photo in the backswing. Presuming that the camera/phone is silenced, no harm and no foul.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back