News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Van Egmond

Re:Great Potential Land for Golf Courses in the Future
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2003, 03:49:09 PM »

Brad Miller,

Is there a lot of the land like Prairie Dunes is on still around Hutch? Do you live in Hutch?

Do you know who the actually architect that is doing the work on the Faldo course? In the past he has worked with Smyers and Curley/Schmidt. Or does he have his own staff architect? Nothing worse than seeing a good site wasted.

jim_lewis

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2003, 05:22:37 PM »
There is a great site in Florence, Oregon. Unfortunately, some guy already built a mediocre course called Sandpines on it.

If I were looking for a great site, I would look near one of the existing great courses like Sand Hills, Praire Dunes, and Pinehurst #2.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2003, 06:05:39 PM »
Tommy - The pictures you posted of the course in Valentine. Are they of Hermsmeyer Ranch? In the interview with Dave Axland posted on the site he mentions working on a project at this site. I was wondering if this is the course. Great stuff!!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2003, 06:23:31 PM »
tkchap,
This is located due West from the Hermsmeyer property, I think its all of about 45 miles away at the most. Maybe Paul will pick-up on this and post. His property is also a GREAT spot.

Jim Lewis,
Look at those pictues and tell me what you think? 75 miles North of the Sand Hills, and you can go hunting and fishing besides golf! (I'm neither a hunter or a fisherman) :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 06:24:02 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

Norbert P

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2003, 07:33:09 PM »
Here is one in Tierra Del Mar on the Oregon Coast that is proposed and going through discussions/permitting, etc.
It is a John Fought layout (with Tom Lehman as ... yeah whatever).

http://www.beltzfarm.com/general/sketch.jpg  

I have walked this property and it does have some great duneland but is a narrow swath of high dunes and scrub pines that will not be linkslike.   BTW... this is a revised sketch as in an older one the 4th never had a pond on it before.  The pond will be manmade. (Gag me with a backhoe)

The routing is odd and I believe that it could use a different starting and finishing point and a crossover point in the routing.  
  The 18th green is one of the furthest from the clubhouse or parking.  I'm assuming they'll run a shuttle.  Do shuttles work and where do they work?  I know Pacific Dunes has them but they also have parking at start and finish.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Norbert P

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2003, 07:54:43 PM »
Here's the lowdown on some other Oregon golf courses that are in the works or proposed.

http://www.oregonsgolf.com/Oregon%20Golf%20Course%20News.htm

Check out this quote by Sundoon GC designer John Fought...

Fought ... "said he believes the course will someday compare favorably to Sand Hills Golf Club in Mullen, Neb. ..."
  (I hope so!)

Pictures of land of Sundoon at available  www.Sundoon.com

I'm happy to see William Robinson is still in the biz.  

« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 07:57:07 PM by Slag__Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2003, 08:51:30 PM »

Slag,

John Fought and Tom Lehman parted ways a couple years back so I would be surprised if they are working on this together. Maybe if it was signed prior to the breakup and they agreed to still do it together.

Jamie_Duffner

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2003, 09:46:35 PM »
That Nebraska property is just gorgeous.  I have to admit I am just plain ignorant when it comes to Nebraska.  If were not for Sand Hills, I wouldn't know a whole lot about the topography other than corn ::)

Has anyone driven the ocean parkway on Long Island?  It is the stretch of highway, about 20 miles long, from the Jones Beach tower to the Robert Moses Causeway.  That stretch of land is absolutely amazing and would make for an incredible course.  Of course there is just about no way to get it past the environmental groups.

Jason Hines

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2003, 10:57:59 PM »
Tommy,

Any other details on the development of the Valentine property?  Guestimation of opening, resort/private lodge etc.  The mixture of trees, sand hills and buttes goes for miles west of Valentine all the way to the Wyoming border.  Nebraska we have the land, but I am not so sure about the budgets and revenue right now.

Jason

brad_miller

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2003, 11:06:13 PM »
Craig, I don't live in Hutch, just try to play there a couple of times a year. I believe Faldo's team is doing the work inhouse, Nick Edmund and all, the comment is aimed more at the developer than the archie's. But I have been told, (don't know if it is true) that the course has been rounted and Faldo hasn't been to Hutch from what I have heard.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2003, 12:19:27 AM »
Brad Miller:

Not to digress too much into the realm of fantasy, but I'd still like to turn back the clock 100-120 years and build a course in Belle Haven. There is no doubt in my mind something really cool could have been built there.
Tim Weiman

brad_miller

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2003, 05:12:11 PM »
Tim, the full use of the Belle Haven peninsula might have yeilded quite a course, not sandy soil though.

Paul_Hermsmeyer

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2003, 10:13:28 PM »
Tommy, You are correct.  The property you mentioned is 45 miles west of our project land site.  It is approximately 20 miles south of Valentine on the Merritt Dam Road.  The Snake River runs through the property.  The Snake is a typical Sandhills river . . . deep cut canyons with Pine and Cedar trees.  The pictures look great!  It looks like some of the holes will play along the breaks of the canyons.  I have had many knowledgeable people tell me that the land is great.  I know the surrounding area well and it is in a choice setting.   Paul Hermsmeyer

David_Tepper

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2003, 12:49:40 AM »
On the Golspie side of Loch Fleet (the body of water just north of Dornoch) is the village of Littleferry, which is surrounded by an enormous amount of links/dunesland.  In fact, the 4-mile coastline from the Golspie course down to Littleferry is almost all linksland. However, a good portion of the land is a wildlife sanctuary. The rest is a dirt bike race course and a quarry. If only I ruled the world!  

ForkaB

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2003, 03:15:02 AM »
David

Just across from Littleferry, at the southern shore of Loch Fkleet north of Embo are the Coull Links, which are spectacular.  They are not unknown to a few high end golf course developers and their favourite archies.

David_Tepper

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2003, 09:26:17 AM »
Rich-

I know the area of which you speak. I was not sure if the linksland on the south shore of Loch Fleet was large enough to site a golf course. It would be very interesting to see someone try to put one there. By the way, did you play the new & improved Struie Course at all this summer? What did you think of it?

DT  

ForkaB

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2003, 09:45:16 AM »
David

Get an Ordnance Survey map.  There's enough land there for two golf courses!

Did play the new Struie this summer a few times, once in competition.  It is now a VERY challenging course (harder than the Top Course by most accounts, including mine!), but still higgledy-piggly in trems of the routing.  They're getting there, but it will be 10 years or so before they finally get it right, IMO.  That solution will probably include a 3rd beginners/children's 9 (now lacking) and a revised 18 that will be an excellent "second course.".  As it is, the new Struie is as good as Golspie or Tain or maybe even Brora.  Robin Hiseman has built some really world class golf holes out on the Kyle.  All onward and upward, but slowly........
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 09:47:46 AM by Rich Goodale »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2003, 10:49:02 AM »
David

Get an Ordnance Survey map.  There's enough land there for two golf courses!

Ah Ordnance Survey maps, that's one thing I miss about GB.  Nothing really like them over here, or really anywhere else.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2003, 02:29:48 PM »
One of my fondest golf fantasies has been to see a course built along the north shore of Lake Superior, with holes that come right to the edge of the 100-foot cliffs you find north of Silver Bay, Minnesota.

There are a million reasons why this won't happen -- land ownership, climate, rocky terrain, remoteness -- but I can tell you for sure that #8 at Pebble Beach would have some new company among the great holes of the world if such a course could be built. You'd definitely want to play it sometime between July and August.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

paul cowley

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2003, 08:23:26 PM »
...there's basically a sand belt that borders the piedmont from al to nc,thru pinehurst etc..........great stuff in the fla panhandle too....just waiting........
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

frank_D

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2003, 05:28:48 PM »

the NEXT non-US future commercially viable and economically sound investment and blank canvas of land that time passed by is  - C U B A - castro won't live forever

a possible virgin US location would be GARDINER'S ISLAND but i think donald trump has already had a billion dollar offer refused

cardyin

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2003, 07:55:44 PM »
In Seaside on the Monterey Peninsula there is dunesland right on the bay which is unbelievable.  I don't know who owns it. I played Cypress Point recently with a real estate attorney from Carmel who said there was great interest in the property, but he didn't add much after that.
I also think, every time I drive from Tampa another 100 miles north that the next great golf course might be built there.
Rolling land, thick forests, lakes, rivers.  Lake Jovita, for example, is fine, but it's not what I would envision as the next great course.  

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2003, 10:30:49 PM »
Found this in an old file today. I am told it is the greatest potential for an existing course that needs some love and money.

It is St Pat's in NW Ireland.

frank_D

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2003, 12:21:49 PM »
more specifically in CUBA [post-castro] - are two currently closed donald ross courses - havana biltmore (1927) and havana cc (1911)

while the other responses here have found truly beautiful land - i cannot imaging ANY property anywhere having MORE future potential as the two havana properties

on the basis of
i) history (almost 100 years in the instance of havana cc)
ii) proximity to US market (not significantly further than MIAMI to reach)
iii) econcomic interest (what golfer would not want to play a donald ross course that has been inaccessable for 40+ years)
iv)all year round season
v) with modern architectural and scientific technologies now available - these course could be refurbished into a condition better than any other in the carribbean
vi)the mystery of being inaccessable would create a buzz or curiosity factor NO other property could duplicate

Norbert P

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2003, 05:15:49 PM »
Mike, Thanks for that picture from St. Patrick's in Donegal.  

I dredged a little through google and found this...

St Patricks Golf Links...
Description...

Long, difficult links course set amid breathtaking scenery overlooking Sheephaven Bay. Designed by Eddie Hackett, making the most of the natural golfing terrain, the course has been praised for its originality. Feature holes are the 400 yard+ par 4, 4th and 16th.  (!) A FURTHER 18 HOLES ARE PLANNED. (!)

Holes : 18
 Par : 72

Yards : 7046  

Green Fees IR £15

I'd never heard of this course before and wish now I'd have gone to play it.  I bet there are no snakes there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back