News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Audio Round Table March Feature Interview
« on: March 22, 2021, 03:46:44 PM »
The March Feature Interview is an audio round table, conducted by Connor Lewis at GolfClubAtlas world headquarters in late January. The participants are Connor Lewis of Talking Golf History fame, Kyle Franz (golf course architect), Matt Smallwood (Kyle’s primary shaper), Vaughn Halyard (GCA’s October’s 2016 Feature Interview re: the restoration at Cedar Rapids CC), Brad Becken (president of the Donald Ross Society and GCA’s January 2020 Feature Interview) and me.

The general topic is Donald Ross and Ross restorations and this discussion was triggered by the current restoration work taking place at my home course Southern Pines GC by Kyle & crew. For those that follow GolfClubAtlas Instagram, you are aware of the startling transformation currently underway.  :o Below is a picture of Matt making things happen along the right of the 8th hole last month.

The viewpoints in this podcast are diverse, which (hopefully!) makes the one hour and forty-five minutes hum along. You have Connor whose love of history is palpable both in this discussion and throughout his work on TalkingGolf.com (where this ‘gathering’ is presented as episode #63 and here is the link directly to it: https://talkingolf.fireside.fm/63). There is Vaughn, who brings the perspective of a past board member whose club went through a wildly successful restoration, Brad whose steady hand at the Ross Society helps see it steer Ross courses in the right direction, Kyle who started off in 1999 doing grunt work at Pacific Dunes to having his own design firm today, Matt who has worked at places like the Vineyard Club and Seminole and now brings that level of expertise to my humble (former Elks) course, and me (architecture enthusiast whose home club is currently being restored).

As Connor notes at the end, there was no agenda per se other than people who love the game having a chin-wag. Hope you enjoy and a special thanks to Connor and Vaughn for their technical expertise in making this happen.

Best,

Peter Gannon

Re: Audio Round Table March Feature Interview
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 09:45:31 PM »
Thank you Ran, and to all who came together for this conversation.  I hope you do it more often! 

You all just keep restoring the Sandhills to the courses, and quit telling people about it.  Ha.  Can't wait to visit from NYC again this October, if not sooner!  (Still wish there was the overnight sleeper car experience).

John Mayhugh

Re: Audio Round Table March Feature Interview
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 12:36:21 PM »
It was enjoyable being able to listen to the discussion while out walking my dog, so from that point of view, a nice idea. Hopefully this will enable more content being shared or perhaps more detail than is present in a printed feature interview. I like the accessibility of podcasts, but as a reference to return to later, those aren't the best. Hope we can enjoy content in both formats.

Interesting mentions on there of Jeffersonville, a place that was on my radar years ago but I had forgotten about. And a reminder that I should try get to Highlands in NC.

V_Halyard

Re: Audio Round Table March Feature Interview New
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 01:18:14 PM »
It was a ball. Watch for a short video in the coming weeks.
Mayhugh, Jeffersonville is a blast. Set aside... "some time".
Before you tee off, look forward to an extended period of golf meditation and you will be fine.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 01:20:24 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back