News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

Bethpage Black - How to Regard the Burbeck Contribution?
« on: March 17, 2021, 11:26:08 PM »
I know this has been a long time topic in the the last 20-25 years of GCA talk, but what is the current state of this conversation?

It seems like there's no empirical truth that's conclusive, so I suppose I'm hoping to learn the current state of the proposition - how much, if any, credit to give Joe Burbeck for what was on the ground from 1936 to say, 1996, when the notions were bubbling to renovate and bring an championship there?

I'd love to see a few sentences on this from those who know better or kept up with it.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Mike Sweeney

Re: Bethpage Black - How to Regard the Burbeck Contribution?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 05:39:13 AM »
In my opinion, the Tilly, Burbeck, Rees conversation is completely gone as EVERYTHING is overshadowed by the current setup, which remains a day to day PGA setup. Ryan Farrow did a wonderful job of highlighting the fairway creep:

"...that shows the course evolution since the early 50's. The results show fairway width shrinking from 52 to 30 yds and total FW acreage shrinking from 46 to 18.6 acres."

https://twitter.com/FarrowGolf/status/1128122102102388738

With Yale in their continuing bad decisions era, I was a heavy Bethpage user in 2020, and probably 2021. I really only play The Black when my son is home, as it is now a long slog for all but the 1000-ish best players in the world.

My view of your question is similar to Hollywood GC's current renovation. While Joe Burbeck and Brian Schneider do/did most of the work, Tilly and Doak have to keep the firm afloat so that they can work on the course. I know that Burbeck was not receiving a paycheck from Tilly, but functionally the relationships seem similar. In my next life, when I run for Governor of NY  :D, I would make the The Black card for my platform as:

• Architect - Tilly
  • Construction - Burbeck
  • Renovation Architect - Rees
  • Supers - Wilson/Hadley
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Steve Lapper

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 06:12:20 AM »
Mike Sweeney,

How can you draw any comparison or analogy from the Burbeck attribution question to the recent/current restorative work by Brian Schneider at Hollywood GC? Seems to me to be a crazy a reach of any strand for logical comparison. Please explain?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 07:24:00 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 07:11:49 AM »
Mike Sweeney,

How can you draw any comparison or analogy from the Burbeck attribution question to the recent/current restorative work by Brian Schneider at Hollywood GC? That's as crazy a reach of logic as one can make? ??? ? :o

Steve,

You are attacking my comparison because it is different from yours. It's early in the morning, so I understand you may not have time to detail it out. I do not know your comparison or analogy. If I had a better understanding of your view of Bethpage Black's legacy, perhaps I could say "you're right Steve!!" :D

Or, when you move back to NY from your NJ exodus, and run for Governor, you can change my scorecard!!

Until either of those occur, we stick with Judge Terry's - "Often wrong, never in doubt!!"  :D
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 07:22:16 AM »
Mike Sweeney,

How can you draw any comparison or analogy from the Burbeck attribution question to the recent/current restorative work by Brian Schneider at Hollywood GC? That's as crazy a reach of logic as one can make? ??? ? :o

Steve,

You are attacking my comparison because it is different from yours. It's early in the morning, so I understand you may not have time to detail it out. I do not know your comparison or analogy. If I had a better understanding of your view of Bethpage Black's legacy, perhaps I could say "you're right Steve!!" :D

Or, when you move back to NY from your NJ exodus, and run for Governor, you can change my scorecard!!

Until either of those occur, we stick with Judge Terry's - "Often wrong, never in doubt!!"  :D

Mike,

Sorry for any insinuation of attack. I will adjust my tone accordingly.

I'm just just trying to understand how "your view of (V. Kmetz's) question is similar to Hollywood GC's current renovation (restoration really) sic?"..."

What does this mean, how does it relate to the Burbank attribution/contribution question(s)?

FWIW...As you know, I grew up in NY, have played the Black, et.al. courses over 40x and and played in two State competition there. It is a course/complex I'm quite familiar with.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 07:24:59 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mark_Fine

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 07:32:40 AM »
Only one thing is clear, we know Rees didn’t do a “restoration”  :D

I was at the opening for Bulle Rock in MD years ago and spent some time talking with Pete Dye.  One of the questions I had for him was about all the controversy at the time around The Black Course.  I asked him what he thought and he said, “Mark it doesn’t matter any more because now it is a Rees Jones original.” 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 08:05:13 AM »

I'm just just trying to understand how "your view of (V. Kmetz's) question is similar to Hollywood GC's current renovation (restoration really) sic?"..."

What does this mean, how does it relate to the Burbank attribution/contribution question(s)?

On the way out but briefly, this same stuff is going on at Hollywood for years and years with Rees being in the mix of BOTH historic courses. From an old thread:

First I saw Tom Doak's wonderful restoration and renovation work at Hollywood. I love how they asked him if he wanted his name on the scorecard with all the other designers and - according to legend - he said something along the lines of "No take every one else name off except Travis's."

Jay,

Confirmation.  :D

Thanks Mike. Nice to see you. It's been a long time:)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 08:08:22 AM »

My view of your question is similar to Hollywood GC's current renovation. While Joe Burbeck and Brian Schneider do/did most of the work, Tilly and Doak have to keep the firm afloat so that they can work on the course. I know that Burbeck was not receiving a paycheck from Tilly, but functionally the relationships seem similar.

Mike S:

I appreciate your including me but the only thing I really did for Hollywood GC was to tell them the course would be a lot better if they let Brian restore it.  [Also, I had seen it before Rees' work, which Brian had not, which helped out on sorting out a couple of the holes.]

Restoration is fundamentally different from building a new course, though.  If we had built Hollywood from scratch, I would have been a LOT more involved than just signing Brian's paycheck.

I agree with you that the fairway cuts at the Black are an embarrassment.  They should let Ryan Farrow restore it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 08:17:16 AM »
I know this has been a long time topic in the the last 20-25 years of GCA talk, but what is the current state of this conversation?

It seems like there's no empirical truth that's conclusive, so I suppose I'm hoping to learn the current state of the proposition - how much, if any, credit to give Joe Burbeck for what was on the ground from 1936 to say, 1996, when the notions were bubbling to renovate and bring an championship there?

I'd love to see a few sentences on this from those who know better or kept up with it.

VK:

I have no actual knowledge of what Burbeck possibly did in 1936, and I am not sure that anyone alive does, either.

Do you mind if I ask, then, why do you care?  It's the same course no matter who built it.

It takes more than one person to build a golf course, so there will ALWAYS be "someone else" who might claim some of the credit for the design.  But since most design credits are not done that way, it seems weird to change the convention for certain famous courses.  I mean, does anyone really think it was Joe Burbeck's idea to build the "Great Hazard" at the 4th?

Mike Sweeney [and others] defend the head of the firm on the ground that he signs the paychecks, but I think that's the wrong framing.  The real question is, who did the routing, and then, who made the call about whether a feature stayed or got changed?  That's really the truth about whether you are the designer, or whether you are working for him.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 09:24:46 AM »
Mike,

"On the way out but briefly, this same stuff is going on at Hollywood for years and years with Rees being in the mix of BOTH historic courses. From an old thread:"

I think it's quite safe to say that the current Hollywood GC, post Brian Schneider's excellent restoration (and finishing of the 17th hole this winter), has effectively and rightfully erased, as well as banished for good, all of Rees Jones misplaced work there. No longer are any silly containment mounds or misshaped bunkers to be found out there. The "new, yet old" HGC has reclaimed its reputation as one of the Garden state's finest courses.

The club's membership and its leadership are uniformly pleased to put that era behind them and can accurately be described as ecstatic over it's current form. That is really all that matters.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 11:03:10 AM by Steve Lapper »

V. Kmetz

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 10:03:23 AM »

Do you mind if I ask, then, why do you care?  It's the same course no matter who built it.
I mean, does anyone really think it was Joe Burbeck's idea to build the "Great Hazard" at the 4th?

1. Despite sharing aspersions about its modern presentation, I like many of the holes at Black... their basic route, what they call for, what golfing emotions they conjure in their sight. Their authorship is of interest to me; if there's a contention about that aspect all or in part, my inclination is to sort it out.

2. I know of few other Tillinghasts, whereby there's similar knowledge/contention about their development... I have never heard of another Tillie "builder"...I don't know who his Raynor, Banks, Bell were/are...

3. Because its one of his last prominent (original?) designs, and because it comes directly in the latter period where he was "consulting" for the PGA, it's not inconceivable that a local like Burbeck took a greater hand.

4. I don't know Joe Burbeck's career in this trade.  You mentioned the "Great Hazard" at #4 (which will be the subject of a later "Perfect" Hole survey)... I KNOW it was capable for Tillinghast to design it, but I don't know if THAT's what he envisioned/or coordinated...if he simply routed/staked/drew a Hazard and Burbeck made it "Great." or even if Burbeck added/redacted other features that augment, improve or support the remainder of the hole (I will note, that the 4th Green -many of them at Bethpage- is one of the least Tillie-like greens I've encountered... is Burbeck responsible for the absence of those bolder contours and features (throughout the course)?

4a.  Indeed, it may be a "resolution" that Burbeck's contribution actually "curtailed" the Tillie design...that he had even better or bolder in mind, and Burbeck pragmatically softened.

You're right in that it doesn't impact today's play of a fine hole; still, Burbeck's name exists in the record and there has been a controversy and I was wondering what the current state of that question is.  It's inchoate and I can't fully explain what makes me curious, but have attempted to.

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 11:40:29 AM »
Mike Sweeney,

Steve,

Mike,

Sorry for any insinuation of attack. I will adjust my tone accordingly.

FWIW...As you know, I grew up in NY, have played the Black, et.al. courses over 40x and and played in two State competition there. It is a course/complex I'm quite familiar with.

The only appropriate follow-up to "I'll adjust my tone accordingly" is "Listen, dumbass..."

But only for the "right" kind...  ;D

I've enjoyed this, thank you friends.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 11:44:36 AM »
Nice Kyle, nice....

Go grow grass!! ;D

I may have to go over to the SS criticism thread and "adjust the maintenance questions accordingly!"
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 11:47:13 AM by Steve Lapper »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 11:58:04 AM »
Nice Kyle, nice....

Go grow grass!! ;D

I may have to go over to the SS criticism thread and "adjust the maintenance questions accordingly!"

It's actually been a fun thread for me to read. I can pinpoint when some people played here last based on some of the comments. Things evolve. That's the fun of it.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

MCirba

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 02:01:23 PM »
Guys,
Just about everything you need to know is on this thread.   Spoiler alert - Tillinghast designed Black and Ron Whitten knows  that as well as he's clipped articles from newspapers.com that make it clear.   I'm not sure why he's never recanted.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67089.msg1606276.html#msg1606276
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 02:26:38 PM »
Guys,
Just about everything you need to know is on this thread.   Spoiler alert - Tillinghast designed Black and Ron Whitten knows  that as well as he's clipped articles from newspapers.com that make it clear.   I'm not sure why he's never recanted.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67089.msg1606276.html#msg1606276

Well, Tillinghast described himself as a consultant to the project, not as the designer, FWIW.  But then the second article mentions Burbeck at length and puts his title as Parks Director.  Maybe no one designed it!

MCirba

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 05:11:02 PM »
Tom Doak,

The first article posted in that thread (from November 1936 the year the Black opened) states that "Tillinghast laid out and supervised construction of the four 18 hole courses at Bethpage State Park...the scene of the 1936 National Public Links championship tournament."

The next article from February 1935 states that "Tillinghast has just finished designing a 72-hole golf layout in New York State, it being a SERA project and to be operated by the state."

The next is a page from H.B. Martin's "Fifty Years of American Golf", published in 1936 the year the Black opened.   It states, "Some of his famous layouts include (insert list of famous Tilly courses)..and the new Bethpage courses on Long Island...Tilly is rather proud of his work at Bethpage where there are four courses included in the layout.   The planning and building of the courses was done for the New York State Park Commission and comprises a tract of land of 1300 acres."

At the time, Tillinghast was also working as a "consultant" for the PGA of America doing architectural work.   It is highly likely that this was at the time a bit of a government classification.   If Joe Bausch hadn't done such extensive research on Cobb's Creek, some folks might think that the course was designed by Jesse T. Vogdes, the Fairmount Park Engineer whose name is on the 1915 routing map and who was technically the supervisor of the project, but Wilson, Crump, Smith, et.al did design, shaping and construction with William Flynn, using Park Commission labor.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 07:47:32 PM »

At the time, Tillinghast was also working as a "consultant" for the PGA of America doing architectural work.   It is highly likely that this was at the time a bit of a government classification.   If Joe Bausch hadn't done such extensive research on Cobb's Creek, some folks might think that the course was designed by Jesse T. Vogdes, the Fairmount Park Engineer whose name is on the 1915 routing map and who was technically the supervisor of the project, but Wilson, Crump, Smith, et.al did design, shaping and construction with William Flynn, using Park Commission labor.

Mike,

An oldie but a goodie. That is a post chock full of information. For those of us with limited capacity for the minutia, that is a fabulous post.

I was thinking of George Crump today. I firmly believe he gave his life in the name of Pine Valley. It is very easy to cast  Crumps's passion aside as "mental illness", but I don't.

Thanks for posting.

Jeff Loh

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2021, 09:20:26 AM »
I'm confused. Was CRUMP involved at Bethpage Black?

MCirba

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2021, 09:53:23 AM »
I'm confused. Was CRUMP involved at Bethpage Black?

No Jeff, Crump was only involved at Pine Valley...and Cobb's Creek.   :)

Thanks, Mike Sweeney.  I agree with you that he put his life into Pine Valley after the death of his wife and was driven with passion and inspiration. 

I often think about what he must have felt in February 1918 after spending the past five years spending a fortune and virtually living on site trying to realize his dream.  During that long winter, with the world at war and no end yet in sight, with continued agronomic failures that had to be so disheartening, and being in probably constant pain from some serious dental issues, it is understandable that he may have been overcome with a sense of helplessness.  Thankfully, his legacy lives on today.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2021, 10:30:51 AM »
Guys,

Well, Tillinghast described himself as a consultant to the project, not as the designer, FWIW.  But then the second article mentions Burbeck at length and puts his title as Parks Director.  Maybe no one designed it!

Or, maybe everyone did! Which is sort of like no one designing it, too many cooks spoilt the broth and so forth.

I looked at the link to the old thread, and believe there were others before that.  I won't go back to look, but do remember being of the opinion that Tillie did design BP, but for whatever contractual reasons existed, was retained under the name of consultant.  I also believe Burbeck was a strong personality and was in charge of issues beyond just golf, which may have led him to have to make certain decisions.  And, if Tillie was out on his consulting tour, certainly many field decisions were made without him, as is customary in any design job, modern or otherwise.  I also note that the article where Burbeck was cited as the designer came from 1937, and since he was the one around for the newspaper to ask, he may have done some history revisions to make himself look more important. 

Certainly, being in charge of such large public works projects is an honor and achievement, and in some ways, as the lead of the project, he probably felt that he did deserve some design credit, not unlike any firm head who delegates work to others.  Whatever happened, I remain convinced that the primary reason the golf courses look like they do (did) was because of Tilly, and that's my definition of who should get primary credit for the design.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

V. Kmetz

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2021, 01:50:03 PM »

I also believe Burbeck was a strong personality and was in charge of issues beyond just golf, which may have led him to have to make certain decisions... 

And, if Tillie was out on his consulting tour, certainly many field decisions were made without him, as is customary in any design job, modern or otherwise.... 

Whatever happened, I remain convinced that the primary reason the golf courses look like they do (did) was because of Tilly, and that's my definition of who should get primary credit for the design.

I'm learning a lot from this exchange and I wasn't interested in resurrecting battles for "Credit"... I do not care if the man in the moon gets it, unless he's being demonstrably robbed, which the context and lack of documentation doesn't seem to suggest here.

But JB's post sums up/ or lights to one of my real questions about Bethpage....

First a premise:
Aren't these the tamest, least-Tillie-like GREENS you've ever played?

You don't have to join me, and I'm willing to hear counter-examples, but my view is YES. I have grown up on Tillinghast courses, famous and less famous, courses that he OD, recast, rebuilt and influenced...mostly in the Met district, but examples in Philly and Calif, along with study from afar -- enough to say that these Bethpage Black (and Red, for that matter) greens are unlike the general character of those others.

At the Black, while the pitch and slope may elicit some of vexing, caution you usually need on a Tillie green, in the comparative main, they are nearly flat and feature-less... In my opinion, you don't see a near Tillie contour until #6 and the only other holes on the course that offer a Tillinghast complication (in the sense I've understood it) are #s 8, 11, 14, 15, and 17...and #8, 14 and #17 are a the ubiquitous split decked problem that many designers used/have used while Tillinghast used sparingly (again, in my experience)... leaving #11 and 15 as, imo, the only distinct Tillie green stamp.

And many of the other greens are almost devoid of anything approaching the bold contours, pinched, twisted saddles, tapering swells I associate with a Tillie... #s 1 - 5, 10, 16 and 18  are nearly a flat plane, simply pitched one continuous direction or the other... #7, 12 and 13 are closer to a Ross "upside down saucer", but absent the bold, contour challenges present when Tillie used that style on WFW 9 and WFE 2, 8 (ironically three long holes, like the ones at BB).  Very gentle putting holes that also receive shots more gently with their back to front pitch.

#9 has the least interesting green of any Tillie hole I know...

So maybe you agree with the premise, or will offer a contention, but if you do agree, I ask....

1. IS THAT THE INFLUENCE OF BURBECK?
If there isn't enough positive evidence to suggest his responsibility, is this "negative" evidence enough to suggest his true role in what we have?  Is it contextually reasonable to take this observation of decidedly un-Tillie like set of 18 greens (if you agree with the heart of the premise) and say that the iteration of a softer style from that which Tillie might have been expected to produce, is easy to understand...? Tillie wasn't there that much, was engaged in other national GCA practice, and if Burbeck softened the greens, it's contextually easy to understand as Tillie would have little control over what the opening day version was/were.

2. EVENSO, IS THIS COURSE BETTER SERVED BY THAT INFLUENCE?
No matter whether its Tillie's or Burbeck's credit/purpose (the singular aspect of green iteration left in 1936) was this a judicious/practical softening of Tillie's style? (again, whether Tillie himself did it or not)... are these set of 18 greens "right" for this Tillinghast public course.. or is the design held back some because either Tillie (or Burbeck) adopted this softer style for the rigors of this course as confronted by a large public?

3. IF THIS COURSE HAD MORE TILLIE-LIKE GREENS, WOULD THE NEEDS FOR EXTENDED LENGTHS AND SOUL-CRUSHING ROUGH FOR  a 20 YARD MISS, BE PRESENT (in the minds of the Rees, the USGA, and the Bethpage authorities)?  If holes 1, 2, 5, 9, 10, 12, 13, 16 and 18 had those wicked, vexing Tillie greens that I know, would the demands for "something" to challenge the championship players be muted?  If number 3 had a green like #9 at Quaker, would it need to erect a tee at 230, as they did years back?

• In all of this, I'm not saying the Bethpage Black greens are shit; I like them plenty and often appreciate the softer contours playing such a long, rough-tough course; I'm just saying they don't look or play very much like the other noted designs of this great architect.
  • And please correct/challenge me if you think I'm wrong in the premise of these greens as softest in the Tillie canon.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2021, 03:12:26 PM »
VK:  Okay, now we are getting somewhere -- even though it's mostly conjecture.

First, opinion:  I agree with you that the greens at the Black are tamer than any of Tillinghast's other courses.

So, to your three points:

1.  Complete conjecture.  It's entirely possible that the greens are softer because the client asked for them to be that way:  that's why the greens at Pacific Dunes are softer than some of my other courses, though, they still have more going on than Bethpage Black's greens.  But I would say it's more likely that Tillinghast/Burbeck/NY State did not have a guy on site who had built any of Tillinghast's other great greens, and Tillie was not around enough to try and get it done with less experienced help.

2.  I don't agree with this.  The whole ethos of the Black is that it's supposed to be a very challenging course, and not hold back because it's a public course.  If we were talking about the Blue or Red, fine.  But for the Black, the only reason to agree with this line of thinking is because you are a person who doesn't like contour in greens.

3.  You might be right that they keep the rough longer etc. to make sure that scoring is not "too low" at a tournament.  But scoring has not been low there in past tournaments, so it's just overkill at this point, isn't it?

Good post, gets to the heart of the place [and the redesign].

V. Kmetz

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2021, 04:36:49 PM »
VK:  Okay, now we are getting somewhere -- even though it's mostly conjecture.

First, opinion:  I agree with you that the greens at the Black are tamer than any of Tillinghast's other courses.
What's the next closest set of tame ones, I wonder?
So, to your three points:

1.  Complete conjecture.  It's entirely possible that the greens are softer because the client asked for them to be that way:  that's why the greens at Pacific Dunes are softer than some of my other courses, though, they still have more going on than Bethpage Black's greens.  But I would say it's more likely that Tillinghast/Burbeck/NY State did not have a guy on site who had built any of Tillinghast's other great greens, and Tillie was not around enough to try and get it done with less experienced help.
Did clients (especially a state agency like this one) know enough in 1936 to suggest/call for something like this? Still I wonder if the second part (no competent builder) was the practical result or something Tillie inured himself to in making the design (eg. I'm not going to design a 4 course thing that can't be built correctly), which if it's not that, leaves the tantalizing (speculative) idea that Tillie DID have more interesting contours in mind, ones that were not followed...

2.  I don't agree with this.  The whole ethos of the Black is that it's supposed to be a very challenging course, and not hold back because it's a public course.  If we were talking about the Blue or Red, fine.  But for the Black, the only reason to agree with this line of thinking is because you are a person who doesn't like contour in greens. ...And that ain't me... I agree with your take.

3.  You might be right that they keep the rough longer etc. to make sure that scoring is not "too low" at a tournament.  But scoring has not been low there in past tournaments, so it's just overkill at this point, isn't it?
No, they haven't been "too" low,  but remember the score is 8 shots less given that faux 72-70 thing... I mean 276 is 276 but in the "Par imagination" we're talking 4 under vs 12 under... and Koepka's (not USGA, however) 272 is 16 under... (NOTE: in my world every course is a 72, but the card here is particularly skewed, for 7 and 12 are truly 3 shot holes, and then played from their long tees, make much better design sense.  Notoriously, I don't want a card par anywhere, but 4 is a joke card 4 for regular players, playing longer than the White tee of 435... almost a joke card 4 from there too, and 501?...forget about it.

Good post, gets to the heart of the place [and the redesign].

So last thing TD... if the client said, "Tom, I trust you"... would feel you right in executing a significant re-contouring of the Bethpage Black greens?  What would you go on... other Tillie holes of similarly distance?  Enhance the little that's there? (Like 3, 5, 6, 18)... I don't think you have to dump on Rees to answer, because while my memories are dim from before the 1998 reno-storation, I don't believe he touched the greens much at all, except to alter some margins...

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 04:54:28 PM »
VK,

I'm with Tom on this one. 

While also conjecture on my part, I do believe that by 1936, golf operators in general, and perhaps Tillie himself, already on a tour to reduce maintenance everywhere in America, may have realized that his contours were causing more problems than they were worth.  I have no problem believing that he and Burbeck got together and decided that softening them up a bit, even when wanting a tough course, was probably the best course of action.

If you look at Tillie's green plans, which substitute for his judgement when he is not on site, you see a lot of "+2", "+5" etc. It is also possible that the construction workers, almost certainly picked by the Park Commission to provide jobs over using anyone Tillie was used to working with, took a look at those plans and figured he couldn't really want those rolls that high, could he?  Or, they got lazy, or Burbeck and he agreed after the plans were drawn, etc. that they should be softened.

So, the question isn't if they are softer than most other Tillie greens, it might be whether or not the general patterns of the rolls that are there seem to follow Tillie greens elsewhere?  If so, I say they are Tillies, with some interpretation by Burbeck and crew, which frankly happens all the time.

Last question, none of us has seen the originals, so how do we know what existed even before the Rees redo for the Open have any bearing?  Did they ever get re-grassed, which would require a drag matt to prepare the soil, and which often soften contours (and don't ask how I know this, but they rarely bring in the original gca and don't even see why they should).  Or maybe that superintendent, whatever year but several past opening, made the decision to soften?

Again, do they look in any way like Tillie greens, despite all the changes? 

As to your question to TD, isn't that the whole central question to restorations?  He might feel obligations to Tillie's ghost, but I bet 80 years of park directors, supers, grassing contractors and the like probably did not.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back