News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Jumping Brook CC, Neptune, NJ (Tillinghast!)
« on: March 21, 2021, 10:49:20 AM »
Growing up in Long Branch, NJ in the 1960's, I have vague memories of Jumping Brook. Has anyone here played it in the last 10-20 years?

https://www.jumpingbrookcc.com/golf-course/course-history

Tom_Doak

Re: Jumping Brook CC, Neptune, NJ (Tillinghast!)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 11:02:27 AM »
Was that always the name?  It's an unusual name and I don't remember seeing it before on Tillinghast's list of courses.  Perhaps Whitten and Cornish had it down to Wilkinson since he took over the job and built it?

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 11:16:12 AM »
As far as I know (which isn't all that far), it has always been Jumping Brook. It shows up on the Tillinghast Society list of courses, with credit to both Tillinghast and Wilkinson:

https://www.tillinghast.net/tillinghasts-work/listings/

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 11:17:17 AM »
Jumping Brook was originally called Bradley Beach GC, and was designed by Wilkinson.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

hhuffines

Re: Jumping Brook CC, Neptune, NJ (Tillinghast!) New
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 01:11:32 PM »
I don’t mean to jack your thread!  I appreciate your listing of Tillinghast courses. 

Our course is listed by the Tillinghast Society as one he visited in 1936. It’s interesting to learn new things about our place and his involvement...

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 04:52:14 PM by hhuffines »

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 02:06:19 PM »
David,
JB was part of our regular rotation in the late 80's/early 90's. A very enjoyable and playable golf course.

They redid some holes maybe 25 years ago, I think. Nos. 1,2,3,18 were changed slightly if I recall.
A friend in 'Squan played it within the last 2 years and says it remains among his favorite-non private-courses in the area.

Google Earth time lapse mode will show the course and the changes very well.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 03:39:14 PM »
Sven N. -

Any idea when the name changed from Bradley Beach GC to Jumping Brook? I find the Bradley Beach name a little odd as the course is quite some distance inland from the seaside town of Bradley Beach.

Peter S. -

Thanks for the report.  I have vague memory of caddying in a pro-am there almost 60 years ago. I also remember going to a schoolmate's bar mitzvah dinner there back then. ;)

DT 

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 09:34:45 PM »
David:

Here are a few articles on the early history of the course.

June 28, 1922 Daily Register -

Aug. 10, 1922 Asbury Park Press -

May 1923 Golf Illustrated -

July 31, 1924 Asbury Park Press -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 10:04:02 PM »
Sven -

Thanks for that info. Looks like it was not called Bradley Beach GC for very long, less than 12-18 months.

DT

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 09:44:55 AM »
I am not pointing fingers at any club or individuals but back then memberships were often very restricted so each religious or ethnic group would build their own course; this was especially true in New Jersey where I grew up.  So I would speculate that Bradley Beach CC was built for that reason. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back