News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Way OT - Go (Cal) Bears!
« on: February 28, 2021, 07:06:42 PM »
Nice to see former Cal-Berkeley golfers (Max Homa & Collin Morikawa) win two PGA tournaments in a row. UC-Berkeley is no golf factory, although it did win the NCAA Championship in 2004.   

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Way OT - Go (Cal) Bears!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 08:02:29 PM »
Funny, I was thinking it was nice to see a Norwegian play so well.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Carl Rogers

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 08:07:37 PM »
Tommy, IMO once you play a ton of competitive collegiate golf in the USA, you are no longer, just golfer from Norway.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 08:21:16 PM »
I followed Viktor Hovland in a foursomes match that was part of the Jacques Leglise Trophy matches (a Ryder Cup-style match between GB&I and the Continent junior boys) held at Royal Dornoch in 2015. Watching him then (at age 18), I had a feeling he was going to be a special player. He won 3 of his 4 matches and halved the 4th.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 08:25:50 PM by David_Tepper »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 09:41:28 PM »
David,
The Cal history is much broader than that. Their annual tournament at Mackenzie's Meadow Club has a strong field and they play all over the Bay Area. In 2012-2013 they won 12 of 14 stroke play tournaments and the #1, #2, #3, #4 and #5 players were all either 1st or 2nd team All-Americans.

Link to bio of Cal golf coach, Steve Desimone, which gives a much bigger picture of the era. I was able to watch over the years as an official when the PAC-12 tournament was held in Oregon.

https://calbears.com/sports/mens-golf/roster/coaches/steve-desimone/393
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 10:54:22 PM by Pete_Pittock »

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 10:58:59 PM »
Also worth noting that the Cal golf team is donor funded. It receives no financial support from the university.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 10:35:20 PM »
It totally IS a golf factory, albeit not at the expense of (nor in the shadow of) its academic programs
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

DFarron

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 10:23:20 AM »
The Cal team used to play quite frequently at Blackhawk when I was there. Each time the players would come in and thank us for letting them play there....Morikawa was among them when he was at Cal.
Coaches Desimone and Chun are building men as well as golfers!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 11:13:20 AM »
Don't forget James Hahn as well who's been injured but back on tour this year.

Cal is basically the Bay Areas guest regarding golf courses. Technically their home course is either Metropolitan by the Oakland airport or Tilden park which is about as bad of 2 courses that you could imagine for a nationally ranked team.

In April they are hosting the Pac 12 championship and its being held at Mayacama in Santa Rosa.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 09:47:02 PM »
Don't forget James Hahn as well who's been injured but back on tour this year.

Cal is basically the Bay Areas guest regarding golf courses. Technically their home course is either Metropolitan by the Oakland airport or Tilden park which is about as bad of 2 courses that you could imagine for a nationally ranked team.

In April they are hosting the Pac 12 championship and its being held at Mayacama in Santa Rosa.
That's college golf in Cali going back to when I played at Pepperdine in the 80's. Private clubs don't want you more than a couple days a week. Even USC and UCLA practiced at multiple courses. We played and practiced at North Ranch and Camarillo Springs. We came within one board vote of getting Riviera as home course two years in a row. We tried for Mountain Gate and they wanted the players to work on the course one day a week. We took a vote and said NO. When we played USC at LACC we had to use the back entrance and weren't allowed on the members practice putting green. :o
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 10:19:26 PM »
Whatever happened to "Schultzie" from Cal that use to post here? Proud to be from Cal and always brought some humor.

David_Tepper

Re: Way OT - Go (Cal) Bears! New
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 08:59:42 AM »
While he did not win yesterday, Brandon Hagy, yet another former Cal golfer, recovered from a blow-up round on Saturday to shoot 66 on Sunday and move all the way up to 2nd place in the Honda Classic
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 09:01:48 AM by David_Tepper »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back