News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: OT - It does sneak up on you
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2021, 06:41:49 PM »
Jeff,
What makes you label Larry Bird as a very "average" athlete?
I have an idea but I'll wait.

The converse of Larry Bird is the guy who spends hours at the gym, chiseling his/physique, who can't throw or hit a baseball, shoot a basketball, sprint or swim fast etc.

"Skilled" vs. "athletic" is always an interesting discussion-especially in golf.
Are you saying that Larry Bird had above average athleticism for an NBA basketball player? I tried to pick my words carefully and used skilled for that reason.

I'm saying he was one of the best shooters of all time, instinctive passer, good ball handler, tough rebounder. He was not a great defender away from the basket for what I think are obvious reasons.

Also I wouldn't classify someone who is very fit with a muscular physique as athletic at all. Athleticism to me requires movement.

I got hung up when you said "average athlete"
You later clarified it to "average NBA player"
Huge difference and yes Larry was below average in jumping and speed, but had other athletic skills.
I happen to include shooting, ball handling, and instinctive passes as athletic skills-even if developed through years of practice and skill development.
One thing is true,most NBA players have more obvious natural athletic quickness, speed and jumping ability than Bird.
Same as he had instinctive passing and great court vision, they had other athletic gifts-tough to say which exactly is more athletic.

Many might say he practiced hard and learned those skills, but that's like looking at Tom Kite and assuming that anyone could become a Tour player with enough practice.
Another great athlete that people discount due to his appearance.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

V. Kmetz

« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2021, 06:46:08 PM »
What Larry Bird was tops at, in his time, was his work WITHOUT the ball... which includes anticipation and his situational awareness... he exploited a slight edge better than anyone and was ready when the moments came.

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

JMEvensky

« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2021, 08:12:38 PM »
VK, nice shout out to Poodles Willoughby--he was probably more of a "can't miss" than Dawkins or Malone.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2021, 09:52:05 PM »
JME,

Malone was definitely his own thing, but in that time, I don't think there would have been a Darryl Dawkins without Willoughby...

If all remember, the NBA had adopted a "sophomore/20 year old rule" for a time in reaction which is why Magic and Isiah left when they did; that opened the floodgates, as most players were 4 year seniors before 1980.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Jeff Schley

« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2021, 10:51:43 PM »
I respect Moses Malone, but there were almost 15 years pass  from Dawkins to Garnett who I think was the beginning of the HS kids going and being allowed to go to the NBA, so I give him the credit moreso. I think Shawn Kemp was talented, but bounced around for a year before coming to the league.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jeff Schley

« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2021, 10:53:26 PM »
Jeff,
What makes you label Larry Bird as a very "average" athlete?
I have an idea but I'll wait.

The converse of Larry Bird is the guy who spends hours at the gym, chiseling his/physique, who can't throw or hit a baseball, shoot a basketball, sprint or swim fast etc.

"Skilled" vs. "athletic" is always an interesting discussion-especially in golf.
Are you saying that Larry Bird had above average athleticism for an NBA basketball player? I tried to pick my words carefully and used skilled for that reason.

I'm saying he was one of the best shooters of all time, instinctive passer, good ball handler, tough rebounder. He was not a great defender away from the basket for what I think are obvious reasons.

Also I wouldn't classify someone who is very fit with a muscular physique as athletic at all. Athleticism to me requires movement.

I got hung up when you said "average athlete"
You later clarified it to "average NBA player"
Huge difference and yes Larry was below average in jumping and speed, but had other athletic skills.
I happen to include shooting, ball handling, and instinctive passes as athletic skills-even if developed through years of practice and skill development.
One thing is true,most NBA players have more obvious natural athletic quickness, speed and jumping ability than Bird.
Same as he had instinctive passing and great court vision, they had other athletic gifts-tough to say which exactly is more athletic.

Many might say he practiced hard and learned those skills, but that's like looking at Tom Kite and assuming that anyone could become a Tour player with enough practice.
Another great athlete that people discount due to his appearance.
I love Bird and totally respect his game. How would he have done in any scouting combine, or pre draft camp when they took measurables? Like Billy Hoyle in WMCJ. I don't care what you look like, just play.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

V. Kmetz

« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2021, 07:54:04 AM »
I respect Moses Malone, but there were almost 15 years pass  from Dawkins to Garnett who I think was the beginning of the HS kids going and being allowed to go to the NBA, so I give him the credit moreso. I think Shawn Kemp was talented, but bounced around for a year before coming to the league.

That's factually true, but mostly because the NBA pursued an unwritten 20/soph rule after Dawkins, Willoughby, which they abandoned in the face of agent, union and advertiser threat, as well as the relative rise of international basketball.  Kemp went to JuCo for like a semester or something. But Garnett did break the modern dam, and the Kobes etc flowed forth.

Phil Burr

« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2021, 08:42:21 AM »
Does anyone remember that Bird was drafted by the Celtics after his junior year?  He returned to school, played another year, led ISU to the title game against MSU/Magic, and then was somehow “protected” as property of the Celtics in the ensuing draft.  Was there some loophole in the draft rules that the genius Auerbach figured out?

Ira Fishman

« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2021, 08:51:02 AM »
I do think one important name may have been missed. Elgin Baylor. He probably was the first player to combine world class talent and world class skills into a world class all around game. There is the great and true story of Wilt coming to DC in the Summer of 1957 just to play pick up ball with and against Baylor. Indeed, Baylor may have the first great to establish much of his reputation on the playground.

Ira

V. Kmetz

« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2021, 09:29:46 AM »
Does anyone remember that Bird was drafted by the Celtics after his junior year?  He returned to school, played another year, led ISU to the title game against MSU/Magic, and then was somehow “protected” as property of the Celtics in the ensuing draft.  Was there some loophole in the draft rules that the genius Auerbach figured out?

Yes it was; and the NBA changed it after Bird (the Bird Collegiate Rule)... NBA could no longer draft players unless they declared. Bird was drafted 6th in 1978, but Auerbach refused to pay him more than any current Celtic. Bird said he would simply hold out until the Celtics rights expired at the June 25 1979 draft, Auerbach capitulated, paid him as a rookie star on June 8 1979 and the rest is history.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2021, 10:03:12 AM »
I'm here for this whole discussion. I wish I had more time to participate.

We're sorta scratching at the point I always come back to in a "Top five <whatever>" list when you're evaluating a complex system. There are a LOT of really influential players and people over the last 75+ years.

The "Jordan might not have been THAT influential" discussion is a funny one to a kid who grew up in the 90s. But I do think there's a really captivating paradox at work with him:
  • All of us tried to play like him growing up. The whole league tried to play like he did by the late 90s.
  • We were all bad at it. That immediate post-Jordan (Bulls) period of slow-paced iso-ball starring a bunch of cover band Mike's was the least memorable 5 years of NBA basketball of my lifetime, in the aggregate.
The paradox? Jordan was arguably the most thoroughly dominant player in basketball history, depending on how you feel about the strength of fields Russell faced. And he dominated while playing a style that we would consider deeply flawed, analytically, today. Which "the kids" (everyone under 36) use to sometimes dismiss his ability to still dominate if he arrived on scene today, based on the flawed notion that "the best strategy for most people most of the time" is also "always better than any other strategy."

But to me, it's more impressive to destroy worlds while doing something that literally no one else can do. His shot charts from 1995-1998 are preposterous. James Harden's analytically-polished game has never stayed quite as unguardable all the way through a postseason. But a guy who can take the 15-footer and make it completely unguardable, reliable, and lethal is pretty much unstoppable, especially when he's one of the craftiest finishers on earth.

He set basketball strategy back 15 years by taking a really bad strategy for most people, and turning it into a strategy not only unstoppable in his hands, but also influencing all his competitors to keep trying to do something impossible. That's AMAZING. But I might concede that his long-term influence isn't QUITE as sky high as some other names, because we've mostly finally figured out that he was the only person who could do what he did.

There are four clear guys who I think we must name before we name anyone else when talking about greatest players ever. Going through them:
  • Jordan - The Greatest, but most people should not try to play the way he did because it doesn't work in less-skilled hands.
  • Kareem - The scariest single weapon in history, but it seems like maybe nobody else can quite master it? How the hell else do we explain that a move that literally cannot be stopped has also never been replicated?
  • Russell - Taught us all EXACTLY how a big man should play, and it took us 50 years and about 17,232,497 failed Dwight Howard post-ups before we accepted it. So far ahead of his time it's ridiculous.
  • Lebron - I think, like Russell, he's teaching us EXACTLY what you want out of a lead ball handler. There's a lot about Lebron's game that I could never have replicated. But the part where he reads and facilitates and bends and breaks defenses is exactly what we should all aspire to, at least.
What's all this have to do with golf? Well, somehow the most athletic game on earth makes more room for different styles and skillsets than a game famously historically dominated by fat white guys does, at least in 2021. That seems like a real failure on golf's part.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2021, 10:34:00 AM »
Can't resist one more item on Bird... from his first Championship finals 1981, against the Rockets on the Day of Game 3

It may be apocryphal, but allegedly, after losing Game 2 in Boston and assembling for practice in Houston, the Celtic players were grumbly, travel-lagged, and in no mood for it.

As a dispirited practice ensued, coach Bill Fitch offered to break up the mood by offering if anyone could hit a half court shot, he'd call it.  Allegedly, Bird picked the first ball off the nearby rack, let fly and started walking, with, "Practice is over."... Celts won Game 3 and won the series in 6., and some players at the time, credited the Bird practice-ender as the "volta" in their fortunes for the series

JMEvensky

« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2021, 11:34:58 AM »

I do think one important name may have been missed. Elgin Baylor. He probably was the first player to combine world class talent and world class skills into a world class all around game. There is the great and true story of Wilt coming to DC in the Summer of 1957 just to play pick up ball with and against Baylor. Indeed, Baylor may have the first great to establish much of his reputation on the playground.

Ira

Nice call on EB. Nothing emphasizes the ages of the arguers more than a sports GOAT discussion.

Curious about your last sentence. Was EB older than Connie Hawkins? CH's reputation was certainly based on the playground.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2021, 11:42:13 AM »
Baylor is eight years older than Hawkins (RIP).

Ira

Phil Burr

« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2021, 11:47:26 AM »
Playground references...there's a gold mine there.  Wasn't Earl Monroe a playground legend?  Wasn't Dwayne Washington nicknamed "Pearl" because of his resemblance to Earl?  Sebastian Telfair also comes to mind.

Without looking it up, I assume EB had to be older than the Hawk because EB's last year in the league was the Lakers' epic  title season with Wilt, West, Goodrich, Happy Hairston & Jim McMillian.  EB was injured early in the season and wasn't on the court for the title run.  And the Hawk was, at that point, still playing at a high level in Phoenix.

Phil Burr

« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2021, 11:49:12 AM »
Wasn't it sad to see EB held up as the face of the sad-sack Clippers for so many years under Donald Sterling's ownership?

Ira Fishman

« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2021, 11:55:17 AM »
For you Playground junkies, highly recommend two classics:

The City Game by Pete Axthelm

Heaven is a Playground by Rick Telander

Ira

JMEvensky

« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2021, 12:01:07 PM »
Baylor is eight years older than Hawkins (RIP).

Ira

thanks

John Kirk

« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2021, 01:12:21 PM »
I managed to miss most of this thread while it was active.  I wanted to add a couple things.  I enjoyed playing basketball more than anything I've ever done.  The worst thing about getting old is not being able to play basketball anymore.  If I see you somewhere out in the great big world of golf, we can always talk about basketball when things get boring.

In my opinion, the most dominant player in my lifetime was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.  He might also be the greatest player of all time, though I'm inclined to believe the greatest all around player is LeBron James.

The hardest player to judge by statistical analysis is Bill Russell.  When I was a kid, my father and the men we used to play pickup ball with admired him deeply.  A couple of anecdotes about Russell.  Some of the younger guys here may not know that Russell became so nervous and excited before a game that he would throw up.  Not some games, every game.  40-50 years ago I read his biography.  Russell shared a story when he was in college, and he tested his jumping ability by touching a spot and measuring the height.  He said he once touched a spot fourteen feet high, four feet above the rim.  Old films also suggest Russell was usually the fastest player on the floor.

I happen to be one of those people who thinks the game continues to evolve, and the modern players are considerably better, even better than the beloved eighties, when the Celtics and Lakers reigned supreme with Larry Bird and Earvin Johnson.  The players shoot so well these days.  The three point line is important because it opens up the game.  By the late eighties you can see in retrospect that the size of the players, and the lack of outside shooting ability, was bogging down the half court game.  Now 50-70% of the players are good enough shooters that you they must be guarded outside.

If I had to pick the five most influential/groundbreaking players, I'd go with:

Russell
Curry
Earvin "Magic" Johnson - probably my favorite all-time player.  Remember he and Bird brought back set shooting.
Erving
Harden

Kareem was unique and influential, but nobody has ever replicated that hook shot.  The most graceful play in NBA history. 

It's easy to dismiss the Beard (Harden).  If you watch his footwork (and many other great modern players) carefully, it's really clever, and he does not commit traveling violations as often as it looks.  The timing of how the players stop dribbling and start striding or jump-stopping is really elegant.  Harden led the league in "win shares" five of the last seven years (it was Jokic last year), and by moving to the Brooklyn Nets and modifying his game a bit, it's helped to understand his great ability.  The most clever offensive player I've ever seen.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 01:14:48 PM by John Kirk »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2021, 01:28:01 PM »
John,

Excellent post on all accounts.  a big +1!

P.S. For your list of most influential, I would make a case that Dirk Nowitzki might occupy a spot there too.  He's largely considered to be the greatest European player to play the game...which yes will likely be surpassed by Luka Doncic or someone else.  But what he brought to the game in terms of being a mobile big man, able to handle and pass the ball, and most importantly having a devastating outside shot, provided a blue print for a whole generation of players like Kevin Durant, Jokic, and others who will certainly continue to come and have a massive impact on the game.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2021, 04:29:55 PM »
It's easy to dismiss the Beard (Harden).  If you watch his footwork (and many other great modern players) carefully, it's really clever, and he does not commit traveling violations as often as it looks.  The timing of how the players stop dribbling and start striding or jump-stopping is really elegant.  Harden led the league in "win shares" five of the last seven years (it was Jokic last year), and by moving to the Brooklyn Nets and modifying his game a bit, it's helped to understand his great ability.  The most clever offensive player I've ever seen.

It's true. I still hate that shit though. It's sorta like the Patrick Reed drop a few weeks back - I didn't think he did anything that warranted a penalty as defined by the rules, but it did sorta make me think we should rethink some of those rules.

To be clear, I have no problem with how he's mastered the gather step and Euro step. But the "I'm going to drive toward the basket and then flail my arms into guys' arms to get fouls called" is miserable to me. I won't even pick a bone with the "Most clever offensive player" superlative, but I still don't enjoy watching him play basketball nearly as much as I wish I did. I generally fall on the side of wanting pro basketball to look as much like playground basketball as possible, and when you do something that would get your ass kicked on a playground, I think you should not be rewarded for it. As you can imagine, I did not love the James Harden/Chris Paul Rockets era.

But then, hell, that's a little unfair too given how he's changed his game since "leaving" Houston. Part of my anti-Harden sentiment comes from the way that watching the Rockets' system was sorta like watching a spreadsheet play basketball. But again... the price of him playing so beautifully with the Nets didn't have to come at the cost of acting like such an assclown on the way out of town.

But mostly, I'm just a hater who's mad that Brooklyn is going to win the East this year.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

John Kirk

« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2021, 05:21:42 PM »
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the amusing post.  I'm not a huge fan of Harden, but he sure is good.  I especially appreciate the sentiment that some of his antics would be unacceptable on the playground.

I will stand by my suggestion that he is quite influential, in the way he has used the rules to his benefit in numerous ways.  Who were you hoping would win the East?  Embiid keeps getting better, but I'm not a big fan of the 76ers and I don't think they can do it.  Maybe Boston will get it going as the year drags on.  I have no confidence in the Bucks.  If Giannis made 80% of his free throws it might be different.

Tim Martin

« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2021, 05:34:25 PM »
I’m not a basketball junkie but wonder where Pete Maravich stacks up with some of the other names already mentioned. Was there a better no look passer? Maybe Earl Monroe.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 05:36:25 PM by Tim Martin »

Phil Burr

« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2021, 05:59:49 PM »
Maravich was great but got stuck with two of the worst teams ever in the Hawks and (pre-Utah) Jazz.  A shame that his tenure in Boston was cut short before he could share in a title.  It's also unfortunate that the 3-point shot was only put in place when he was but a shell of himself.  He could have been the precursor of Steph Curry.

JMEvensky

« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2021, 07:39:37 PM »

I’m not a basketball junkie but wonder where Pete Maravich stacks up with some of the other names already mentioned. Was there a better no look passer? Maybe Earl Monroe.

The only player I ever saw who was in Maravich' league as a ball handler was Curly Neal with the Globetrotters. He become almost a curiosity but might have been the most "skilled" offensive player ever.

As to no look passers, I'll see your Pearl and raise you one--Pearl Washington at Syracuse. From the same era, Dean Meminger.

But the best no look passer I ever saw was Larry Bird.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back