News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Fine

Re: how many shots are executed from the average greenside bunker in a year?
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2021, 05:58:27 PM »
Sean,
Again, as you would suspect, if a golfer can't extract the sand all the way to the green, the green won't be impacted.  On deep steep faced bunkers, what takes a beating and ends up changing are the bunker faces.  The grass can die from the sand build up and the sand line can creep up the face on less well maintained courses.  As someone said on a different thread, sometimes grass faced bunkers can be more difficult to maintain than sand faced bunkers.   

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2021, 06:29:57 PM »
On deep steep faced bunkers, what takes a beating and ends up changing are the bunker faces.  The grass can die from the sand build up and the sand line can creep up the face on less well maintained courses.  As someone said on a different thread, sometimes grass faced bunkers can be more difficult to maintain than sand faced bunkers.

That was the problem with a lot of the bunkers at Woodhall Spa, and the reason we flared up the sand faces in certain spots.

Mike_Young

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2021, 07:49:29 PM »
I'm just not buying the large face build ups from sand explosions.   Now there might be  a lip build up right at the bunker but not out into the green itself.  Several factors that would x it for me: I don't see the numbers working/how many "sand explosions" does it take to make a cubic yard of sand?..if sand is expelled onto the green then the mower will pick up significant sand when it mows the next day and disperse....I've watched enough soil probes over 35 years to see the myths created ( when needed) by them whether it be thatch layer, ODG bunker or build up.  One dude used to sell his ODG renovations by using infrared to explain where the old contours were located.  And another thing that is happening on some of the courses built during 70's, 80's and up to now is green pads moving or sinking which moves the USGA bathtub.    If you want to test that then take a transit and shoot a specific spot on a cartpath near a green where there is a problem and see if it changes in the coming years. 

As for sprinkler heads....a golf course down here that is maintained will see the sprinkler heads "drop" about 1-1.5 inches every 8 years due to thatch and growth.  I'm sure the heads at the greens may have top dress affect but the ones I'm speaking of are even in fairways and in tropical climates it is much faster.  JMO...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2021, 09:20:38 PM »
... but not out into the green itself.  Several factors that would x it for me: I don't see the numbers working/how many "sand explosions" does it take to make a cubic yard of sand?..if sand is expelled onto the green then the mower will pick up significant sand when it mows the next day and disperse......

I see lots of sand explosions onto the green itself where I play. Few if any are left on the green for the mowers, because following players rub the sand into the green surface so it won't affect their putts.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back