News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Steeplechase ‘bunkers’
« on: February 04, 2021, 11:35:13 AM »
Steeplechase ‘bunkers’ were once upon a time very much in vogue. Once being circa 125 yrs ago.
Is there a place for them ... or a modified version of them .... in the game once again?

All sorts of heights and shapes possible. Fairly easily build and maintain. If necessary sand doesn’t even need to be involved.
Thoughts?
Atb

Matt_Cohn

Re: Steeplechase ‘bunkers’
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 12:53:14 PM »
What is a steeplechase bunker?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 01:15:32 PM »
You mean a cop bunker I assume, often used as top-shot bunkers or certainly carry bunkers? Built by excavating out of flat land and using the fill to create the linear, uniform fronting mound.

Best examples that haven’t been eradicated may be Walton Heath.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 01:27:16 PM »
How about a nice big one right across the fairway on every hole 320 yards from the back tee?

🤣

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 02:33:10 PM »
You mean a cop bunker I assume, often used as top-shot bunkers or certainly carry bunkers? Built by excavating out of flat land and using the fill to create the linear, uniform fronting mound.
That’s it Ally.
Kind of a shame they went out of fashion and use (except for top-shots).
If used with a bit of imagination in terms of size and angle they would seem to still have validity.
Atb

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 06:03:26 PM »

Ally,

Maybe you've seen some examples from old photographs of Portmarnock.

I have a copy of Frank Pennink's "Homes of Sport - Golf" book (1952?), and there are three examples that have been filled in. There were two long rectangular cop bunkers on the 4th hole, just a little past the two greenside bunkers at the 3rd (the ones on the right of the green). There were also two of the same design on the 17th hole, roughly 100 yards from the tee. It appears that the lone cross bunker on the right side of the 5th fairway was the second of two cop bunkers; the left bunker has been filled in.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 06:58:28 PM »
Thomas,
We restored a bunch of them at Copake CC in NY (both cop bunkers and cop mounds).  I was just talking to Mark Chalfont about them today.  You don't see them very often anymore at least not here in the U.S.

SL_Solow

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 07:00:09 PM »
Interesting views.  Cops were deemed to be some of the most artificial features from early architecture, were panned by golden age critics and were regularly removed. 

Mark_Fine

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 09:34:26 AM »
SL,
I wouldn't go purposely build cop style bunkers on just any course.  The ones we restored were actually quite interesting and well placed.  They add to the feel and aesthetic of Copake which is a real throw back design.  I think you would like it a lot.  I do need to learn to post photos again. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 05:02:46 PM »
With the cost of maintaining bunkers, and the penalty for players that don't need unnecessary things to make golf harder I don't see the use for them. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 05:43:53 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 05:38:20 PM »
Great examples by George C. Thomas, Jr. at Marion. Check out photos two and six:

http://mariongolfclub.com/PHOTOS.html

I think they are a great way to inject interest on a flat site at little, if any cost. 

Bogey
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 05:40:24 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark_Fine

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 05:52:07 PM »
Tommy,
Everything in moderation (at least most of the time)   :D   They work well at Copake. 

John Emerson

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 11:12:49 PM »
Mark me down as a fan...in moderation
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back