News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Re: Is there a worse pond than 18 at Torrey South?
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2021, 12:17:01 AM »
Silliest pond I can think of it s on a par 3 on back nine of Univ. of New Mexico course . Kind of sits funny on the hill 10 yards from green. It screams swimming pool

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2021, 01:30:27 AM »
TP 18th pond looks so out of place its not funny.

Not on the same scale - but I was never a fan of the pond on the 17th a Royal C Down. Same goes for that on the 5th at Sunningdale Old. With regard to the later - particularly so - given there's realistically no water in play on the rest of 17 holes.
Kevin,

When I lived in SoCal I got the impression ordinary golfers really liked the pond at TP. I think it was the challenge not the aesthetics.
Tim Weiman

Matthew Rose

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2021, 03:20:16 AM »
The pond on #3 at Janesville (Wis) Country Club, before it was enlarged and made deeper while I was in high school.

The original was concrete floored and about 12" deep and barely large enough for the fountain that sat in the middle. Everyone used to call it the "See-ment Pond" a la Beverly Hillbillies.

Now it just looks like your standard country club lake with rocks all the way around the bank, although they kept the fountain.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2021, 04:06:43 AM »
I have no problem with the pond myself. Played there 3 times and think it adds to the interest of the course and challenge for your third in a match against some buddies. Tries to make up for a bland course in a great location. Shame they couldn't move the cliffs more into play when they went to the Open Doctor back in the early 2000's. Love municipal golf and this is still one of the best, but didn't reach it's full potential. I'm sure working with California regulations make it impossible to do anything but cut the grass, without a 3 years public debate period.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2021, 11:08:16 AM »
I dare say that if they were to take the pond out there would be an uproar as those who have played it have accepted it to be there and those watching the tournament live or in on tv would find it an absolutely essential part of the tournament. It is not like Pebble Beach as there are hardly any other holes on TP which are easily recognizable.   

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2021, 01:52:18 PM »

If they gonna insist on keeping it, why not add a bit of intrigue with a miniature version of the Bellagio water-fountain feature.

They already got over the top clubhouses and conditioning at many Tour venues, why not this?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2021, 04:46:50 PM »
This is an interesting thread for many reasons.  Most of us (myself included) don't love the aesthetic of the pond on #18 at TPS. But I have heard very few realistic alternatives that would provide the same excitement as a do or die water hazard.  Any kind of bunker, even a severe one is not going to scare most good players.  You are not going to plant a big tree there as that would be silly.  A deep hollow in front probably does't work.  I guess you could somehow construct a barranca but not sure it would be easy and/or look any better than a pond.  Let's face it, sometimes function is more important than aesthetic.  I go back to the pond on #15 at Augusta which honestly does't look any more natural than the pond at TPS.  The two holes are basically the same.  How exciting would #15 be with a sand hazard in front?  Unless the lies were very unpredictable, it would dramatically change the risk/reward factor.  I love temptation and I love the chance of recovery but as long as a particular type of hazard is not over used (like the water on these holes) it can function great. 

Steve Wilson

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2021, 05:08:28 PM »

Tom Bacsanyi asks:[/size]

"What course do you have to hit it over a hedge/road on the first? "
[/color]

[/size]I'm fairly certain it's not the course you have in mind, but the first at Tain crosses a road that has wire fence on both sides.  The green itself it blindish and not without interest.  I've always thought that if the fences were stone walls instead of just wire fences the hole would be word famous, memorialized by photo essays,  and the object of pilgrimage by the denizens of this website.[/color]

[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2021, 06:05:18 PM »
No idea you had to whack it over a hedge/road at #1 CPC, I figured it was somewhere in the UK or something.

At least the tee is pretty elevated.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Kalen Braley

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2021, 03:03:06 PM »
I'm just saying, there are examples of "nice" and "pleasing" ponds in nature. Frankly, I think Bruce's Billibong at Torrey Pines South is an interesting, and bold, hazard. Whether it looks good is a separate conversation.

Yes — Yellowstone would be fun.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back