News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Burr

Loblolly Pines
« on: February 02, 2021, 12:28:11 AM »
I don't recall seeing any discussion on this site of Loblolly.  In photos it looks like a remarkable work of earthmoving, particularly the 16th hole.  Is it a good/great golf course on a typical lousy Dye site that came out far better than promised by the terrain?  Does it choose to fly privately under the radar or is representative of P.B.'s willingness to move heaven and earth (a la Moorlands) to meet his vision?  I've seen pictures of it for decades and always wanted to know more.

Terry Lavin

Re: Loblolly Pines
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 11:08:23 AM »
Played it a handful of times. Very good and challenging course with exceptional service.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 11:25:24 AM »
I've played it 20+ times.

- It's REALLY hard. Awkward angles, pool table greens (firm and quick), narrow, no place to hide.
- It's a community for sure with equal part NYC/NE and Chi/St. Louis contingents.
- Service on par with the best clubs around...anywhere.
- Peerless range and practice facility.
- Great caddy culture.
- Amazing clubhouse.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 11:29:40 AM »
For those of us who have never heard of it and have no idea where it is. :)

https://www.loblollyinfo.com/

J_ Crisham

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 01:07:54 PM »
Great piece of property for Florida. The sand ridge that it sits on runs down to Seminole. McArthur is across the street and is maybe a smidge better?

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 03:43:21 PM »
Great piece of property for Florida. The sand ridge that it sits on runs down to Seminole. McArthur is across the street and is maybe a smidge better?

I would agree.
Defining that "smidge" though....I'd play MacCarthur 7/3 in 10 rounds. It's more "fun" and diverse.

Nicky Price's kid on the putting green, "Tuna" Parcells in mens pub....pure golf. I hear they may be adding another course.

Plus, that logo!

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 09:19:17 PM »

I would agree.
Defining that "smidge" though....I'd play MacCarthur 7/3 in 10 rounds. It's more "fun" and diverse.

Nicky Price's kid on the putting green, "Tuna" Parcells in mens pub....pure golf. I hear they may be adding another course.

Plus, that logo!

Already pushing dirt.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 09:26:11 PM »

I would agree.

Plus, that logo!

I’d agree on all accounts, including the milk jar.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Phil Burr

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 02:55:51 PM »
Question for Ian Mackenzie: you said you'd play 7/10 rounds at McArthur over Loblolly.  I can see on Google Earth where Loblolly is obviously hemmed in by homes.  Is that part of your reasoning?  And since McArthur adjoins Medalist and appears superficially similar in satellite view, how would you split 10 rounds between the three?

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 03:26:36 PM »
Never played Medalist, so I don't know.

Loblolly not so much "hemmed in" by homes as they do not directly tie into the FWs or playing spaces.

But, I lean to MacCarthur becuase:

1. Greater variety of holes
2. Prettier surroundings (IE: nature)
3. Less constricting on the tee and FWs are wider and places a premium on 2nd shot approach angles.
4. At "the Lob", I always feel I am one swing away from disaster even on the first tee box.

Even on #1 where the Black tee is on the putting green and you hit down a chute where idaster lurks on both sides...it's unnerving.

#2 is a VERY awkward par 3 where you have to hit a perfect high draw to get on the green.

#3....foockame....DL right par 4 where tee shot has to fade or you are on a sidehill (that dune someone reference) then hitting up the hill from 180-205 to a severe green that wont hold a shot....and thats just the first 3.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 05:52:07 PM »
The 16th hole at Loblolly is an homage to the current 16th at Royal Portrush.  P. B. Dye made it a bit too severe on the left side but I enjoy the hole very much. 

Loblolly is a fun course, especially the middle part of the course.  The 13th hole is a unique way of using a really tight corner of the property. 

archie_struthers

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 06:33:40 PM »
 8)

If people enjoy Loblolly to the point that it's in the same league as McArthur and Medallist that's a pretty good homage to the place. Played there a long time ago and it was super fun in spite of the caddies. (lol) Two of my buddies from up north!

Fun course lots of opportunities to play some good holes in a nice setting. Quite good!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back