News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

http://https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt-and-politics/celebrated-golf-course-builder-offers-to-redesign-madison-s-glenway-course/article_60b88e22-12ae-5a7a-a53f-1c7f15db19cc.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share

Well, I haven't posted on a GCA topic in quite a while.   But how could I not call this to attention of this group.  Here is the Son of Mike Keiser offering my home town a donation to create a unique upgrade of a  modest 9 hole par 33  course (and a short one at that) which is a sentimental treasure to anyone (like myself) who ever grew up in Madison and learned to play golf as a youngster.  At age of about 12-13 many Madison kids would ride bikes with clubs slung over shoulder or take the city bus to "The Glenway Golf Course" to play for about .50cents as I remember. 

Sighted in the charming Westmoreland  section of Madison, historically, 'just barely upper working/professional middleclass' next to the historic city cemetery;  young and old duffers, new and old to the game would take advantage to play a quick 9hole round to satisfy that urge to  strike some deft golf shots around an oaktree strewn 50 acres of pleasant neighborhood environs. My own sentimentality towards the course is accentuated by a frequent vision of seeing my Godfather - who introduced me as a boy to Lawsonia (a story in itself that I have written about on GCA) as he would play there several times a week.  The course was two blocks from his home and he would walk there with his pull cart and play with the dual purpose of rehab of his early years multiple heart bi-passes, and his love of the game he could never just give up.  He really strikes the same figure Jack Lemmon played in the movie "Bagger Vance".  In the 80s, I rode that neighborhood police beat 3pm - 11pm, and I would be driving past Glenway late afternoon and spot my Uncle out there often,  pulling his cart and smiling as he walked.  It gave me a great feeling to see him stilll out there enjoying every shot. 

So, I was a bit stunned to read this article about the younger Keiser making this very generous offer.  I am guessing that the collaborative relationship of the Keiser operations with Madison based Oliphant Golf construction and management  key executive Craig Haltom played a big role in drawing Mr Keiser to become familiar and  involved with this quaint and charming little piece of the essence of public-municipal golf in such a pure and seminal form where true golfers are born and often play there last when they become too old and fraile to play the big lot fields of play.
I can't wait to see what creative ideas they come up with to revitalize and save this small but important municipal treasure.  It sure is a bit of serendipity in my life.  ;D 8)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 12:57:19 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Thomas Dai

Re: Keiser development and harkening back to a golf course of my youth.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 04:48:42 AM »
Look forward to seeing a photo of you there Dick. Get well mate.
atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back