News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Reader

A new way to see Silloth
« on: January 25, 2021, 08:07:38 AM »
For those that haven’t seen this on social media, this is really impressive from Joe McDonnell.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/silloth-on-solway-course-tour-d19ae5f49b5140268d4554e1c5f2877a

If we can’t visit in person for a while yet...

David Jones

Re: A new way to see Silloth
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 08:37:58 AM »
I think it's a fantastic use of technology (although I found it more intuitive to use on my iphone than PC). It's a really interesting way to get a good sense for the routing and the topography you just can't get from the usual mapping services.

You can imagine loads of different applications for this. If you had it built into a special GPS app then it could become a live 3D strokesaver on the course.

I remember a discussion on here a few weeks ago about whether an iphone could map a green using lidar. From what I understand a special piece of drone software is used to map the whole course and surroundings here which then is used to produce the 3D model. Impressive stuff.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 09:08:55 AM »
Joe in conjunction with others is producing some terrific stuff.
If your on Twitter his handle is - joemcd_golf (@joemmcdonne11)
Also worth a look is - [size=78%]https://shop.evalu18.com/[/size]
Atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 05:54:44 PM »
It's an impressive model.  My first reaction was, "Why aren't we building that in Wisconsin?"   :D

Which makes it a disturbing model, too.  Because I pretty easily could.

What happens to the business of golf design when clients can just pick their favorite holes and get someone to move the dirt into place for them?  Or what happens to the art of golf design if designers jump in to do it, first?  [Word to the wise:  that will only work for a while until the owners eliminate the middle man.]

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 08:24:24 PM »

It's an impressive model.  My first reaction was, "Why aren't we building that in Wisconsin?"   :D

Which makes it a disturbing model, too.  Because I pretty easily could.

What happens to the business of golf design when clients can just pick their favorite holes and get someone to move the dirt into place for them?  Or what happens to the art of golf design if designers jump in to do it, first?  [Word to the wise:  that will only work for a while until the owners eliminate the middle man.]

Tom--

you may have to start talking to the lawyers!  if you thought golf course design was difficult before, try adding in a layer of intellectual property laws (e.g. copyright and patent laws)  :-[ :-[

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 09:20:19 PM »

Tom--

you may have to start talking to the lawyers!  if you thought golf course design was difficult before, try adding in a layer of intellectual property laws (e.g. copyright and patent laws)  :-[ :-[

Paul:

I've had a clause in my contracts for many years that while the client owns the golf course, I retain the copyright to the design as a work of art, so that if someone does a knock-off, I'm the one who can sue.

Nevertheless, I know the reality is that I would spend a fortune on legal fees and be lucky to get a dime in return.  I had an arbitration hearing once years ago about whether a client owed me for the routing I'd done, and the arbitrator ruled that them having changed two holes made it a different plan, so I wasn't entitled to anything!

Of course if I sold my rights to Disney I am sure they would manage to collect on them.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 03:17:16 AM »
I had an arbitration hearing once years ago about whether a client owed me for the routing I'd done, and the arbitrator ruled that them having changed two holes made it a different plan, so I wasn't entitled to anything!
Hmmm....  That sounds an interesting decision.  And one of the reasons why I never advise clients to have arbitration clauses in contracts.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 05:27:43 AM »
I only know the 16th st Deal well enough to comment.

On my 12" screen there just isn't enough detail to get the mystery of the hole as you play it. The fairway bunkers off the tee are clearly visible on screen but stealthily waiting in shadows on the course. The choice you have with the second shot isn't just left or right it's about height. One of those fairways is 12' or more higher, allowing you a glimpse of the green, can't see that on my computer.  Perhaps it works better on shorter holes than a par 5?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jeff Schley

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 05:31:47 AM »
Outstanding tool and as a consumer of golf and fan of GCA, look forward to a crowd sourced database to peruse as some point. It is very interesting to see the scale and elevation of these models as an entire course. I assume Peter Flory has something similar for his Lido design as he and Tom referenced the elevation points in the other thread.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back