News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Coleman

Fixing Things That Are No Longer Acceptable
« on: January 23, 2021, 08:58:43 PM »
   I understand that Secession resisted efforts from members to change the name of the club, but agreed that the confederate flag would no longer be the club’s logo. I also understand that the club lost members over its refusing to change the name. 
   Any other examples of clubs becoming or not becoming “woke?” 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 07:28:23 AM by Jim_Coleman »

Drew Harvie

Re: Fixing Things That Are Longer Acceptable
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 09:05:11 PM »
Mississaugua changed their great old club logo to a rather boring one. It has a Mississaugua Indian on it, paying homage to the tribe that owned the land before (they even have a burial ground of a chief on the 16th hole), but I guess they changed it in fear of repercussions
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 09:08:42 PM by Drew Harvie »

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 09:40:04 PM »
   I suspect the Indian (Native American) logo issue must come up a lot.  I think Philly Cricket still has one. Don’t know if it’s a bone of contention.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 10:48:10 PM »
   I suspect the Indian (Native American) logo issue must come up a lot.  I think Philly Cricket still has one. Don’t know if it’s a bone of contention.

I must admit that I had never thought of this in the golf context, even while it's been a big deal in baseball and other sports.

There must be dozens of clubs named after tribes that have similar logos.  Shinnecock and Seminole, for starters. 

The Pasatiempo logo is another that's not exactly woke; in fact its sleepy nature is part of the problem with it!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 11:32:13 PM »
   I understand that Succession resisted efforts from members to change the name of the club, but agreed that the confederate flag would no longer be the club’s logo. I also understand that the club lost members over its refusing to change the name. 

Maybe they could just re-spell it "Succession" as you wrote and hope everyone forgot the origin of the name.   :-X

Peter Gannon

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 11:36:01 PM »
"Plantation" has always made me uneasy.  Reynold's did a rebrand.  Sea Island could use one.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 11:45:27 PM »
   I understand that Succession resisted efforts from members to change the name of the club, but agreed that the confederate flag would no longer be the club’s logo. I also understand that the club lost members over its refusing to change the name. 

Maybe they could just re-spell it "Succession" as you wrote and hope everyone forgot the origin of the name.   :-X

Roy National Golf Club
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Drew Harvie

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 12:08:25 AM »
"Plantation" has always made me uneasy.  Reynold's did a rebrand.  Sea Island could use one.

Cherokee Plantation easily takes the win in this category lol

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 01:06:57 AM »
Tom:  to quote a famous golfer “I am such a stupid.”  Funny though.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 01:22:30 AM »
The Pasatiempo logo is another that's not exactly woke; in fact its sleepy nature is part of the problem with it!

I went to school at UC Riverside, and while I was there, we had a big controversy over a fraternity t-shirt, probably around Cinco de Mayo, that portrayed what was considered a "lazy Mexican" stereotype (not my fraternity, as I was GDI), which I didn't even know was a stereotype until the controversy.  It was national news at the time.  The Pasatiempo logo has always reminded me of that and made me a little uneasy as result.

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 04:08:00 AM »

I recall getting deep into the woods arguing with a few folks on here years ago that Secession and the Stars & Bars were awful for a club to use. These guys simply couldn't put themselves into someone else's shoes. Glad to hear the club is making progress.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 04:48:19 AM »
The World has changed and seemingly at a greater pace than in years, decades and centuries gone by. Didn’t the language of a youngish US tour player have some repercussions recently?
Atb

David_Elvins

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 04:04:20 PM »
Wonder what will happen to all the colonial Royal Clubs.  There may come a day.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 07:35:54 PM »
Aronimink had a members only Indian head logo when I was there.

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 10:47:18 PM »
Jim,

I played Secession one time many years ago. Found the 1st hole so distasteful that any thought of politics, racism or the Civil War never entered my mind.

Changing the name or logo wouldn’t influence me to return.

Tim Weiman

MKrohn

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 03:56:18 AM »

They will never give up the "Royal", the reciprocals are too good.

Tim Martin

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2021, 05:57:13 AM »
The Indian names in New England extend far beyond golf courses. They are used for roads, lakes, rivers, parks, fairs and recreational complexes including ball fields. The town I live in has a golf course named after an Indian tribe with an Indian head logo. The two public high schools got rid of the Indian mascot names and logos a few years ago but other societal vestiges are ever present.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2021, 06:43:16 AM »
They will never give up the "Royal", the reciprocals are too good.
In some places the Royal prefix was abandoned quite some time ago, eg Royal Singapore.

Also, while there are some arrangements it is not correct that all Royal clubs have reciprocals with all the others. It’s also worth noting that there are non-exUk commonwealth/empire clubs with Royal/Real prefix in countries like Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Spain etc.
Atb

Mark Pearce

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2021, 08:03:56 AM »
No-one else find the premise that changing a club's name or logo to avoid offending large groups of other people is "woke" rather than reasonable just a little awkward?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 08:44:08 AM »
I never warmed up to the Bruce Devlin masterpeice at Secession but reserved the  repugnence for the members testtesteronial atmosphere, blatant insensitivity, and juvenile attachment to trappings of "the lost cause"
Mark by large groups are you referring to the tyranny of the few that is now amplified to the point of public shaming, scarlet lettering and wholesale assault on the horror that is the world our generation has bequeathed? They will no doubt come after our golf course eventually so be my guest and embrace them.

15 years ago I drove 8 hrs to watch my daughter swim in her college conference championship hosted by  Delta State University, Mississippi. Traveled through countless Indian place names for rivers towns etc in N Mississippi. During one of the long breaks in action typical to an all day swim meet I wondered into the bookstore to discover tee shirts sporting a bushy eyed, boxing gloved anthropomorphic okra or the D State mascot: the fighting Okras!!!!! No doubt a nod to the PC police who swept away whatever their previous indigineous honoree had been. Sums up my feeling perfectly
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Jim Sherma

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2021, 09:40:52 AM »
In a world of unintended consequences there will come a point where the cleansing of native references will bring forth the accusation of intentionally whitewashing cultural memory. Once the vestigial names are removed for being insensitive it will be very easy to forget that they were even there at all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2021, 10:43:40 AM »
Ward,

Educate me, as a mere Brit.  Is it only a "few" who find the Confederate flag offensive?  Is it only a few who are offended by kitsch historical representations of Indian tribes?  Perhaps I'm mixing in the wrong crowd, that wasn't the impression I got.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bruce Hospes

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2021, 11:41:42 AM »
I never warmed up to the Bruce Devlin masterpeice at Secession but reserved the  repugnence for the members testtesteronial atmosphere, blatant insensitivity, and juvenile attachment to trappings of "the lost cause"
Mark by large groups are you referring to the tyranny of the few that is now amplified to the point of public shaming, scarlet lettering and wholesale assault on the horror that is the world our generation has bequeathed? They will no doubt come after our golf course eventually so be my guest and embrace them.

15 years ago I drove 8 hrs to watch my daughter swim in her college conference championship hosted by  Delta State University, Mississippi. Traveled through countless Indian place names for rivers towns etc in N Mississippi. During one of the long breaks in action typical to an all day swim meet I wondered into the bookstore to discover tee shirts sporting a bushy eyed, boxing gloved anthropomorphic okra or the D State mascot: the fighting Okras!!!!! No doubt a nod to the PC police who swept away whatever their previous indigineous honoree had been. Sums up my feeling perfectly

Actually the previous mascot was the Statesman.  The Fighting Okra was thought up by some drunk fraternity brothers (one of them a friend of mine) and it caught on so well that the school adopted it as the mascot.

True story...

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2021, 11:46:50 AM »
Jim

Can I suggest that maybe the first thing to be fixed is the title to this thread. Should there not be a "No" in front of "Longer" ?

Niall

JDutton

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2021, 11:48:45 AM »

"No-one else find the premise that changing a club's name or logo to avoid offending large groups of other people is "woke" rather than reasonable just a little awkward?"

I have found that often one man's 'reasonable' is another man's 'stupid'.
I'm a fan of folks cinching-up their panties a little tighter and getting on with their lives.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back