News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

What is a Links and what isn’t a Links?
« on: January 26, 2021, 01:35:28 AM »
Ed Battye rivals Sean Arble as today’s leading reviewer of U.K. golf courses. His Golf Empire website is primarily a directory of open competitions but also features an impressive section of Ed’s reviews of courses.

He has just taken on the unenviable task of attempting to list all the true links courses in the U.K. Linked to the list is a lengthy article explaining his rationale

[size=78%]https://www.golfempire.co.uk/golf-course-reviews/info/links-spectrum-list.htm[/size]

Mark Pearce

Re: What is a Links and what isn’t a Links?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 03:19:55 AM »
Ed Battye rivals Sean Arble as today’s leading reviewer of U.K. golf courses.
Who?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 03:31:06 AM »
Ed is a pretty good judge of a golf course and not a bad writer. His Askernish piece might be my favourite thing I have read about the course.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 04:01:59 AM »
Ed Battye rivals Sean Arble as today’s leading reviewer of U.K. golf courses. His Golf Empire website is primarily a directory of open competitions but also features an impressive section of Ed’s reviews of courses.

He has just taken on the unenviable task of attempting to list all the true links courses in the U.K. Linked to the list is a lengthy article explaining his rationale

[size=78%]https://www.golfempire.co.uk/golf-course-reviews/info/links-spectrum-list.htm[/size]

I couldn't finish the article as it was very complicated and difficult to follow. That said I can't get my head around Sheringham as a links. I don't think it plays or looks linksy. I would say it's much closer to a downland course than a links.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 05:36:37 AM »
Can't see how you decide the higher course at Portrush is pure links and the lower not?

At least he admits its arbitrary.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 01:11:44 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 06:32:29 AM »
Here’s a further link that should provide more insight into the formulation of the listings -
https://www.golfempire.co.uk/golf-course-reviews/info/links-spectrum.htm - it includes comments for individual courses. Note it’s quite a long piece so quite a bit of scrolling is needed.
Atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 08:37:11 AM »
I like Ed’s enthusiasm and writing in general.

There are always going to be a few strange choices as there seems to be with any list of true links... one of these days I might have a go myself to see if I can iron out these anomalies.

In this list, aside from a couple of obvious ones (like Portrush as mentioned by Tony), one of the stranger decisions was equating almost all modern builds with the term “faux links”: Machrihanish Dunes is as “true links” as they come. It is the definition of the words. It is a very, very different proposition to Castle Stuart which rightly is classified as faux links.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 12:42:54 PM »
Can't see how you decide the higher course at Portrush is pure links and the lower not?

At least he admits is arbitrary.

There is no accepted definition, so it is all arbitrary.

Worse yet, the only purpose of such discussions is to cast some courses as authentic and, more importantly, disqualify others.  That's why I try not to get sucked in.  It's all golf.

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 12:52:20 PM »
I saved the link for reference purposes-lots of work went into that, even if it made my head hurt.

I find the best is recommendations from this website and others (Top100 Golf is ever improving)and I really try not to get too wrapped up definitions of "links".
In fact some of the coolest courses I've seen had a bit of mix of terrain, soils and topography that I thoroughly enjoyed. Golspie,Cardigan, Durness,Bull Bay, Portsalon and several of the local 9 holers in Tasmania I stumbled on come to mind.
You'd miss a lot choosing only to play someone's definition of 18 "True Links" holes
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 01:15:32 PM »
Wow that is alot of stuff to digest. That isn't an article it is a reference and may come in handy as a POV at some point. Good catalog of information, I haven't seen many of those courses so for what he views as a links vs. not is probably at least consistent.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 02:44:35 PM »
Land has many uses and growing food is an extremely important one.
If the local residents/farmers had been able to successfully grow crops on a particular portion of land in the centuries before golf was invented then golf would likely never have been ultimately played on that portion of land. Same with heathland and moorland and downland and marsh land etc.
Atb

Peter Flory

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 03:37:19 PM »
I'm OK if I'm playing something that is only 88.5% links.  Being in Chicagoland, I'll settle for something that is 5% links.  I've driven an hour to play Harborside...

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 05:16:27 PM »
I read the article and it is a list of lists. He didn't really give his own definition or explained why he thought individual courses made the grade which I think would have made it a more interesting read. That said, I was surprised how many of them I've played and I don't know that is a good thing. I like the idea that there are a lot more courses out there to see.

I also agree with Jeff, some of the more fun and interesting courses possibly wouldn't make the grade for any of the lists mentioned but you'd be missing out on if you passed them by.

Niall

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 09:38:23 PM »
George Pepper knows my displeasure with his definition, in which he excluded my Links at Las Palomas in Sonora , Mexico — even though it WAS a links. From my book:

links  — Seaside golf course constructed on a natural sandy
landscape that has been shaped by the wind and receding tides
(from the Old English “hlincas”, meaning the plural of a ridge,
a Scottish term to mean the undulating sandy ground near
a shore )
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 09:40:08 PM »
Tom D. obviously is missing my book/dictionary. And, here i thought his GCA library was robust, accurate and complete. Ha!
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back