News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

What's the longest you've gone without playing golf?
« on: January 23, 2021, 03:32:33 PM »
I am in the midst of healing from a posterior tibial tendon issue. It hurt like the dickens. I haven't played since September. I had two ACL surgeries and one thumb surgery. I was out for six months with each of those injuries (skiing accidents). 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Greg Tallman

Re: What's the longest you've gone without playing golf?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 03:36:09 PM »
Easy for me as thatbis to get now - have not played since March 22 of last year. No real reason, just have not played.

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 04:21:28 PM »
In last 60 years or so my longest layoff by far was about 5 months from early December 2019  to early May 2020...figured triple bypass surgery was a good enough excuse.  More interesting layoff was time between walking a full 18 holes...and that was October 2019 until four days ago (1/19/2021)...and being able to walk 18 (with a battery powered trolley) felt like a triumph!!

Have avoided two other addictions for longer stretches...haven't had a cigarette in 53 years, 4 months...and haven't had a drink in 26 years, 2 months.  Savings from those two may have paid for all my golf travel since! 

Drew Harvie

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 04:35:08 PM »
Growing up I'd go abut 5 and a half months every year without a round of golf

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 04:49:21 PM »
....haven't had a cigarette in 53 years, 4 months...
That's inspiring, thanks. I haven't had a cigarette in 4 months, and have indeed saved money that's been used for golf -- but the addiction is so strong that I'd still rather be smoking!!

Seriously, though: hearty congratulations on getting out and walking 18 again. That's great!

David Ober

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 06:04:18 PM »
I am in the midst of healing from a posterior tibial tendon issue. It hurt like the dickens. I haven't played since September. I had two ACL surgeries and one thumb surgery. I was out for six months with each of those injuries (skiing accidents).

In 2008/2009 I had three surgeries, back to back to back for different things. Didn't play for about 18 months. That's by far the longest stretch for me.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 06:29:15 PM »
I’m one more cervical fusion away from quitting the game. Hoping to dodge it for another season.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

David Ober

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 06:33:14 PM »
I’m one more cervical fusion away from quitting the game. Hoping to dodge it for another season.

Same here, Terry. I think I'm going to have to go the surgery route soon. Depressed. All I can do the last three months is bunt the ball around.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 08:14:35 PM »
School and time / work pressures prevented golf from about 1973 to 1978.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

jim_lewis

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 09:26:57 PM »
From August 1965 to September 1966 I was in Vietnam. My first round after I returned was one of the best I had ever played up until that time.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:49:42 AM by jim_lewis »
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Pat Burke

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 10:33:33 PM »
Wrist injury in 1997 tried to play a few times and then had surgery end of 1998
Didn’t play for a year before creeping back

Shoulder injury in 2016
Really didn’t play at all for over a year. A few false attempts
I e started hitting some shots and actually try to play again recently but will likely require surgery that I’ve tried to put off hoping recovery and rehab would do the trick

Been a long time

Bill Seitz

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 01:08:45 AM »
When I lived in SoCal, I worked at a LA County golf course, so I could play whenever I wanted.  I would still go through three-four month stretches where I didn't want to pick up a club, usually in the winter.  I'd just get a little burned out and needed to recharge.  Then I moved to Illinois, and mother nature decided I needed that time off regardless of whether I wanted it or not.  But the longest stretch was probably about six months or so  in the mid-90s when I cracked a bone in my wrist playing hockey and couldn't swing a club.

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 06:14:38 AM »
I can’t remember going more than a month or maybe six weeks. Living in Southern New England requires a trip South or mild temps along Long Island Sound in the Winter. If you watch the weather and know the places that keep the pins in you should be able to sneak one in every month of the year.

archie_struthers

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 07:16:55 AM »
 8)

Mr James Lewis , thanks for your service keep playing ! 8)

Daryl David

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 11:17:12 AM »
18 days when the County decided golf was prohibited due to Covid. Longest 18 days of my life. Will forever be known as the “dark period”.  ;D

David Ober

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 01:59:43 PM »
18 days when the County decided golf was prohibited due to Covid. Longest 18 days of my life. Will forever be known as the “dark period”.  ;D

LOLZ.

That's how I normally am. Play 3 to 4 times a week and sometimes 5. There's virtually nothing else I'd rather be doing ... during daylight hours. ;-)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 05:09:52 AM »
13 years now
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 05:31:59 AM »
I played a little golf as a kid with each of my grandfathers, both of whom took up the game upon retirement. I also played occasionally with a school friend who was a member at a local club.

From 1976 until 2010 however, I didn’t pick up a golf club!

So 34 years...

Steve Lang

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 09:50:04 AM »
 8)  About a year after rotator cuff repair... though i did walk around and putt one-handed after 3 months when i stopped fearing doing any self harm from falling ...  even after restart ok'd physically by Dr., took another 1.5 years to get over mental fear of screwing things up and swinging hard at it...  since then only two weeks due to weather...

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 10:50:36 AM »
13 years now

Yikes. I'm sorry Cary. That's my biggest worry.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 11:28:42 AM »
Would you like that measured in minutes or hours Tommy? 

Other than a conspicuous absence away from the game for the first 18 years of my life...   That is a good question...

I don't think it has been more than a few weeks here or there since then, maybe when I lived up in the frozen north I am sure i missed some time during the winters, but I cant remember that far back.

Probably no golf for the next few weeks as I care for my wife post-surgery.   

But the only time I was seriously close to quitting the game back in 1993 living in N. CA and frustrated as an athlete and engineer (a bad combination I found with this game) I seriously was going to quit after a particularly bad/frustrating round, only to be told that night by my friend that we were already paid for in a company golf outing through his wife's work the next day.  So I told him I would play but I was quitting for a while after that round.  On the 2nd hole that day I had my first hole-in-one!!   Obviously I never quit. 

The rest is history...
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tim Martin

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 12:01:58 PM »
Would you like that measured in minutes or hours Tommy? 

Other than a conspicuous absence away from the game for the first 18 years of my life...   That is a good question...

I don't think it has been more than a few weeks here or there since then, maybe when I lived up in the frozen north I am sure i missed some time during the winters, but I cant remember that far back.

Probably no golf for the next few weeks as I care for my wife post-surgery.   

But the only time I was seriously close to quitting the game back in 1993 living in N. CA and frustrated as an athlete and engineer (a bad combination I found with this game) I seriously was going to quit after a particularly bad/frustrating round, only to be told that night by my friend that we were already paid for in a company golf outing through his wife's work the next day.  So I told him I would play but I was quitting for a while after that round.  On the 2nd hole that day I had my first hole-in-one!!   Obviously I never quit. 

The rest is history...

Turboe-That's a great hole in one story!!!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 12:07:15 PM »
Every year I generally do not play from mid-November to late-March/early-April.

Boston winters usually allow for a round or two of winter golf when there is no snow, but it's not that fun.  I've been lucky enough for a couple rounds down south in Feb/March most years, but I generally do not want to spend premium golf tourist dollars when I haven't been playing...$250/rd in Florida makes no sense to barely hit the clubface, but it's fun to go down for some "Spring Training" rounds in late March/early April, although that's high-season for golf in the South.

I always shake my head at the fact that during my HS baseball years, I didn't play really at all until August when summer ball died off and I needed to prepare for HS golf team play starting just after Labor Day.  Baseball was a blast, but I would've gotten better at golf much quicker if I played more during those summers, and I'm someone that went from a 30+ handicap to 22 to 12 to 6 in four years just playing in the Fall!  I wasn't good enough for state junior play until I was slightly aged out, so that would've been fun to do.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 01:00:10 PM »
Was drilled into the boards during a men's league hockey game in November of 2018 and had a mean "shoulder stinger".
Didnt touch a club for 5+ months. Turned into "frozen shoulder" and weeks of rehab were needed to get motion range back.

Timing was perfect...;-)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 02:02:06 PM »
Two years in the army and Vietnam. Cured by Spyglass and Pebble soon after return.

One year after mauling of L1 in bicycle accident, went from a baby draw to a sweeping fade because of steel laced corset.

Five, six, and eight months because of wrist injury (root next to ball).

Currentlly have not played since first week of October because of elbow/wrist, plus too sloppy ground conditions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back