News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

How have you helped golf?
« on: January 23, 2021, 11:45:02 AM »
I have played in a bunch of pro-ams and outings that help local charities.
I have personally introduced a few kids to the game and have given them their first golf clubs.
Seems like not as much as I could have done.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom Fagerli

Re: How have you helped golf?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 12:29:47 PM »
But that is more than many. Club donations to First Tee always good for cleaning out my cache! Donation here and there to golf assn’s, contribute to junior programs in area I grew up. And like you Tommy I could and should have done more.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 12:47:02 PM »
Tom(s) -
I think you both have helped people. That's more important than helping the game. If there are people who now can and want to play the game, golf will take care of itself, and be just fine.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 12:55:11 PM »
Tommy,
As one example; I have been a strong advocate for shorter tees (I am building several right now at a project (Brookside CC) as well as have a whole series more planned at another project (Bethlehem) this spring if funding permits.  Added a bunch at Hanover CC just recently as well.  Shorter tees don't have to be formal tees either (I tend to only build low profile ones when I do) but they do help the game of golf as I am finding more and more golfers playing them (and asking for them).  There will always be some who say we are making the course too easy but it is interesting to see them come around after playing them for a while.  Why not make the game more fun for more golfers (and speed up the pace of play at the same time).  Win win!

Pat Burke

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 02:35:06 PM »
I thought I was helping in the many pro and and fundraisers I played in.

When my playing days ended the first time, I started teaching and stumbled into a program when searching for a home to teach.
The Get a Grip Foundation was where I learned what we could do to not just help golf, but help families, particularly kids. 
We have e 200+ kids per week free golf lessons, golf course access, tutoring, mentoring, really anything we felt we could do to help “our kids”.
We impacted hundreds of families simply by being there and using the values of the game as a basis for rules and behaviors guidelines.

I worked with a staff that looked like the United nAtions and the kids Backgrounds crossed every spectrum.
I was proud to help design the program with a great man and friend and when the program ended in 2011, in left a hole in the community as well as many of the lives of the people who were able to work there.

With the right opportunity, it is amazing what the game can offer

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 02:41:05 PM »
Pat:

Why did the program end?  Did it depend on outside funding that dried up?

I have a couple of golf charities I have worked with and it amazes me how much $$$ it takes to do something for free.

Pat Burke

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 03:52:00 PM »
Pat:

Why did the program end?  Did it depend on outside funding that dried up?

I have a couple of golf charities I have worked with and it amazes me how much $$$ it takes to do something for free.

Tom, it’s a really sad story, even after all these years (2011).
Our Founder and Manager Of the program Had some demons he was losing the battle to.

As management, we had an issue brought to us with our biggest fundraiser and the raffle that basically was being fixed for a friend to win.

We went to the guy to try to stop it, but at the drawing he just went his way and tried to have his friend win the car donated to us .

We could not let that happen and brought it to the ceo who was our principal funding source

When we went through the books after all this, we lost that funding and since he basically controlled the foundations 501c3 we were done.

We approached the first tee to get some emergency funding to keep going but they told us they didn’t fund things like our program, which was basically a first tee on steroids  ???

JohnVDB

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 04:24:04 PM »
I have officiated at close to 400 events as a volunteer and employee of various golf organizations since 1992 (employee since 2000).

Did USGA course ratings at over 140 courses.

Served on a number of boards and committees through the years.

Taught Rules workshops to more than 2000 people.

The two things I’m most proud of are the founding of the NCGA Junior Golf Tour and being very heavily involved in the 2019 revision of the Rules of Golf.

The Junior tour gave kids from Northern CA a chance to play in tournaments that were much more affordable than those run by the AJGA and other organizations.  Some kids have gone on to much success in golf and a lot more got golf scholarships because of the exposure.

Of course our most well known player has won the NCAA, US Amateur and US Open, but we’ve had another win two European Tour events, another runner up in the US Am, a US Women’s Am champion and a low Am at he US Women’s Open among others.

On the Rules side, I think the changes we made have made the game a better one eliminating a lot of silly penalties and trying to treat similar situations in a much more consistent manner.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 04:25:56 PM by JohnVDB »

David_Elvins

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 04:36:16 PM »
Have written a few thousand posts on here.

No matter who i am playing with i always make sure to give them at least 1 tip to improve their swing.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 04:57:45 PM »
Have written a few thousand posts on here.

No matter who i am playing with i always make sure to give them at least 1 tip to improve their swing.
;D
And neither act of generosity has ever been properly appreciated, I'm sure.

David Ober

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 06:31:37 PM »
I have played in a bunch of pro-ams and outings that help local charities.
I have personally introduced a few kids to the game and have given them their first golf clubs.
Seems like not as much as I could have done.

Great topic.

For me, golf is much more than a hobby. It is my passion -- something I have spent, and continue to spend, countless hours playing and obsessing over. Here's how I've "helped" over the years:

1) Seven or eight years ago I created a "Scratch Tournaments and Invitationals" spreadsheet as a labor of love that lists virtually every tournament and invitational in Southern California (and many others throughout the country) that have scratch divisions. I started sharing it with a group of mid-am and senior buddies, and now the list has grown to a couple hundred tournament mid-ams, senior ams, and aspiring tournament golfers in my region. If I don't have the list to everyone by mid-January, I start hearing about it! This year, I'm holding off because of Covid. Hoping clubs start releasing their schedules soon. Hoping to get at least some of the top invitationals in this year. We'll see.

2) I mentor aspiring tournament players and a few juniors (mostly guys in the 1 to 4 handicap range) via playing lessons, short game/putting lessons and, mental game/preparation lessons. There's nothing more gratifying than helping someone make their first cut in a legitimate local or regional competition.

3) I contribute quite a bit on the GolfWRX forums, mostly regarding tournament play, mental game, preparation, learning to play "shots," etc. Over the years, I have received some amazing "thank you's" that are so gratifying and humbling. In particular, a long-running thread I started on improving putting seems to really have resonated with a bunch of golfers with many taking time to

4) I'm recently joined the greens committee at my 1903 club with the hopes of restoring some of the "Max Behrness" of our course over the next decade. Don't have too high of hopes, but we'll see what we can get accomplished....

SL_Solow

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 06:49:55 PM »
Sorry but I have to disagree with those who like this topic.  Not only does it have little to do with Golf Course Architecture, it invites us to "toot our own horn" when many of us who spend a fair amount of time in these endeavors feel uncomfortable when it appears that we are doing it for "credit".  I know Tommy had good intentions but this one doesn't feel right

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 07:32:19 PM »
Sorry but I have to disagree with those who like this topic.  Not only does it have little to do with Golf Course Architecture, it invites us to "toot our own horn" when many of us who spend a fair amount of time in these endeavors feel uncomfortable when it appears that we are doing it for "credit".  I know Tommy had good intentions but this one doesn't feel right

Shel,

Some will treat it that way, just like others use charities as a means of controlling things the way they want them to be.

But others might be inspired to do good works based on a story they read.

I do think the idea that any of us are "helping golf" is a bit off.  For me it's just more about respecting the game of golf in whatever we do.  Pat Burke's old foundation is a great example.  If every large community had a program like that, America would be a better place, never mind golf.

David Ober

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 10:19:40 PM »

Interesting take on a post that seemed to have good intentions.

I know that has I've gotten older and the amount of pain-free rounds I can play has greatly diminished, I find myself wanting to help others as much or more as I want to play and compete myself. I absolutely want to give back to this amazing game that has given me so many great memories and amazing times.

John Emerson

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 10:33:13 PM »
Well Idk if this constitutes “helping golf” but I have taught growing grass basics to close to 100 young kids.  I try to explain how grass grows, and a basic overview/behind the scenes of what all goes into maintaining a golf course.  Wherever I have been I contact local golf coaches and set up a “field day” for their teams and whoever else wants to come. I felt that if they knew how tough the job could be that maybe they appreciate the game a little more or maybe peak their interest in science enough to propel a kid or two to go on to study plant or soil science.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

John Emerson

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2021, 10:34:25 PM »
Oh and it’s a shameless plug for labor  ;D
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Pat Burke

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2021, 10:37:38 PM »

Well, I’ll give an anecdote
In the program I mentioned earlier , we would get volunteers or hire some people to mentor or take juniors on the course to play when they didn’t have anyone to take them.  I hired Tommy Naccarato and he was amazing with those kids. You can imagine, he inevitably would talk about architecture and strategy with them.  The fund says were when weather kept us in and tommy would sit with some of the kids and have them draw holes or talk to them about the course

So, there, some architecture!! :D

SL_Solow

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2021, 11:37:02 PM »

Reluctantly I'll wade back in so that my original point might be better understood. I am delighted to talk about all the  ways that golf is used to better society.  For what is an inherently selfish activity, like most forms of leisure, golf and golfers have found a way to do things for others. I might add that the emphasis should lie on helping people, not on helping golf. But if we want to discuss this topic in this forum, the focus should be on the activities, not on what any of us have done individually.  Perhaps Tom would agree.  At the risk of violating my own rule, I could enumerate more than 3 decades of effort.  But I would rather describe some programs we have at work here in the Chicago District in the hope of obtaining support or inspiring others.  Since 1944 the CDGA Foundation has provided recreation through golf for disabled war veterans.  In our last year prior to Covid, we provided over 150 clinics with the help of professionals and CDGA volunteers as assistants.  We also hold tournaments for the vets.  We also held over 90 multi-day camps for children and young adults with development disabilities at private clubs and public courses throughout our area.  Again, pros are assisted by volunteers. We have constructed a 3 hole short course at our headquarters which is designed to allow those with special needs to have easy access. We also sponsor our area's Youth On Course Program allowing juniors to play golf at affordable rates.  The CDGA underwrites all administrative costs for all of the programs so that every dollar raised from donations or fundraisers, like our outing, goes directly to programming.  As an aside, the short course is also used for turf grass research and we have a full time agronomist who helps all of our member courses, public or private, with any help they need if their super runs into difficult problems, all at no additional charge.  Finally, we are actively involved in programs to improve municipal golf, particularly in underserved minority communities.

I suspect there are programs like this in many areas. In my experience, those who participate do so because of a genuine desire to help others and combining that desire with a love for golf makes it more fun and surprisingly effective.  But the emphasis should be on the programs, not on what any of us have done.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2021, 11:37:22 AM »
Actually, part of the reason for beginning this thread is to discover ways of giving back that I hadn't thought of.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2021, 02:07:37 PM »
Does introducing two children and so far three grandchildren to golf count?

How about designing fairly high quality public courses that charge affordable rates?

Or giving back to GCA in terms of time and efforts with ASGCA, including the recent book "Designs on a Better Course, Practical answers to common questions for green committees?" for which I didn't get paid, just collected some of my writings and handed them to the ASGCA Foundation?  And, there are more, you know, all the ASGCA projects I have been involved with to further architecture that really piss Mike Young off?  LOL.  Hey, is pissing Mike off considered a benefit to golf? ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Steve Lang

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2021, 03:35:02 PM »
Actually, part of the reason for beginning this thread is to discover ways of giving back that I hadn't thought of.

Tommy, if that's true, then change the thread title appropriately... 

I've donated golf balls and more importantly fix my divots and at least 3 extra pitch marks on greens...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mike_Young

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2021, 10:35:58 PM »

Or giving back to GCA in terms of time and efforts with ASGCA, including the recent book "Designs on a Better Course, Practical answers to common questions for green committees?" for which I didn't get paid, just collected some of my writings and handed them to the ASGCA Foundation?  And, there are more, you know, all the ASGCA projects I have been involved with to further architecture that really piss Mike Young off?  LOL.  Hey, is pissing Mike off considered a benefit to golf? ;)
Jeff,  Was just sitting here minding my own business....you don't piss me off....all good here...but would like to know how ASGCA has furthered architecture....can't think of anything...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mike_Young

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2021, 10:40:14 PM »

Shel,

Some will treat it that way, just like others use charities as a means of controlling things the way they want them to be.

But others might be inspired to do good works based on a story they read.

I do think the idea that any of us are "helping golf" is a bit off.  For me it's just more about respecting the game of golf in whatever we do.  Pat Burke's old foundation is a great example.  If every large community had a program like that, America would be a better place, never mind golf.
Agree, if the big companies in golf would stop funding things like First Tee and send those same funds to the local foundations instead of some national office then those foundations like Pat's might have a much better chance...Charitable giving on the national level is so often a "feel good" item used by their marketing teams for media promotion...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Thomas Dai

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 09:20:40 AM »
I spent many, many years helping and coordinating junior golf. Working with the juniors and their parents/grandparents was a pleasure. Working with various golf club committees however, well that was more akin to the opposite.
Atb

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 09:58:16 AM »
I don't steal from my clubs. 10 common things I see that I don't do that over time adds up to revenue loss for the club.

1. Bring outside food or liquor.
2. When walking hitch a ride on a cart or use someone else's cart to carry my things.
3. Take practice swings on a tee that results in a divot.
4. Take practice swings anywhere on the course that results in a divot.
5. Throw down a ball and hit extra shots into a green.
6. Practice anywhere outside the practice area that is provided.
7. Put my shoes on in the parking lot to avoid locker fees and/or tipping the shoe guy.
8. Play either before or after reasonable operating hours.
9. Hit balls on the range outside of the designated areas.
10. Disrespect the 90 deg rule when driving a cart.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back