News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

Re: A Course You Could Play Every Day
« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2021, 04:47:22 PM »
Cypress Point!  I figured I would pick one that most here have played and that we would all want to play every day  ;D
I'll 2nd this vote.  I played it in 2015 and it was the 5th best day of my life!  I can't wait for the privilege to play there again
Does that mean you have 4 children or 3 children and a one night stand with Raquel Welch. ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

James Brown

« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2021, 11:57:00 PM »
I joined Argyle Country Club in Maryland last year right before the pandemic broke out and have played there almost exclusively since. In the summer I prob played 3 times a week this year.  It’s perhaps a Doak 5.  Have never played the same course so often before.  When I joined all the long time members said I would never get bored with the course.  They were right and here is why I think that is:

Very undulating fairways and lots of uneven lies.
6,600 from the tips and 6200 from the one-ups.
Several really long par fours (like 490 ish) and several really short par fours.
The greens are smallish but not too small and they have just enough slope to be really tough at tournament speed but are not scary under normal conditions.
It is demanding enough for me when off my game but get table when I’m on. 
You could reasonably choose to lay up on 4-5 holes if you want to play conservatively.
I can play almost any time I want and it’s not overly crowded on weekends.
The fairways are rye and it gets baked out in the summer and is very good turf during the winter.
It sits on top of a hill and gets a decent breeze.
It’s is a very nice walk and just vigorous enough.
It attracts a lot of good local players. 

Sorry to gush, but this post really got me things i about why i can play there every day and still improve my game.

corey miller

« Reply #177 on: January 23, 2021, 08:32:51 AM »

For me it would not be a "course I could play every day" but rather a "course I would play every day" and at a minimum the course should be of sufficient quality where one would be willing to forego rounds at other venues.  Would you be willing to give up the once a year trip to Friar's Head or Winged Foot?

I mention "would" because though design wise Rustic Canyon is a delight, who can tolerate a five hour round? or too many mandates with carts, caddies, tee times, or an over the top clubhouse or locker room or even halfway house?

For me, perhaps because it is such an anomaly in the New York Metro area and far from "top 100" status (I have seen rankings that do not have it in the top 50 Met) Rockaway Hunting. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2021, 12:40:42 PM »
I joined Argyle Country Club in Maryland last year right before the pandemic broke out and have played there almost exclusively since. In the summer I prob played 3 times a week this year.  It’s perhaps a Doak 5.  Have never played the same course so often before.  When I joined all the long time members said I would never get bored with the course.  They were right and here is why I think that is:

Several really long par fours (like 490 ish) and several really short par fours.
The greens are smallish but not too small and they have just enough slope to be really tough at tournament speed but are not scary under normal conditions.
You could reasonably choose to lay up on 4-5 holes if you want to play conservatively.
The fairways are rye and it gets baked out in the summer and is very good turf during the winter.

I looked to see who had designed the course and it wasn't on the "golf" page of the club's web site, but I dug a little more and found the details [sort of].  Interesting that such a haphazard development process wound up with such a fun course.

James Brown

Re: A Course You Could Play Every Day New
« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2021, 02:19:26 PM »

I looked to see who had designed the course and it wasn't on the "golf" page of the club's web site, but I dug a little more and found the details [sort of].  Interesting that such a haphazard development process wound up with such a fun course.

The layout is attributed to one of the original members and from what I have read in the club history just evolved gradually from 9 to 18 holes on a good site.  I will go find a more detailed history and post it.  Might make for an interesting case study. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 02:21:20 PM by James Brown »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back