News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Is it time for technology to be applied to golf courses?
« on: January 22, 2021, 05:59:22 PM »
 I suggested a visual illusion for bunkers and also think we need an invisible fence  for parallel holes to avoid play down the “ wrong” hole.

Other technology that could improve golf and maybe save money?
AKA Mayday

Jeff Schley

Re: Is it time for technology to be applied to golf courses?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 06:26:38 PM »
Artificial tees at the very least (except par 3's) and possibly elsewhere. Save that water and maintenance.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Drew Harvie

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 06:52:03 PM »
The best part of golf is the nature aspect. Please do not take that away from me

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 07:02:43 PM »
The best part of golf is the nature aspect. Please do not take that away from me

I agree that it should be seamless. As Flynn says “ be natural or look natural “.

AKA Mayday

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 07:30:41 PM »
No
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 07:41:38 PM »
AKA Mayday

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 08:12:57 PM »
Orbital sunlight reflection mirrors which could allow 24 hour golf.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 08:59:37 PM »
Why even have a real physical ball when a virtual one would solve almost every complaint ever expressed on this board. You can dial in the length, the firmness of the fairways and the speed of the greens. You still interact with nature without all the trappings of what technology has done to ruin the modern experience. Better yet, the most skilled player wins.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 09:10:38 PM »
Time for electric maintenance machinery that is programmed to do their tasks at night after which they return to their charging stations and charge up for the next night.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 09:12:59 PM »

Sorry, but that's when the autonomous machinery will be operating in the dark.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ben Malach

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 09:16:30 PM »
The only golf tech that I thought was interesting was a ball that kept your score. The issue is unless there was mass adoption of this system you would be limited to that ball. Which is not optimal for most golfers.

For me, tech is something that is more applied to the club management side. Like using drones to keep track of evapotranspiration on the golf course to better inform the watering program or use of tablets in carts to sell food and beverage while tracking the pace of play. The golfing experience has already become too tech-focused with the mass adoption of laser rangefinders and most pros only practising with a trackman.
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 09:17:43 PM »
I have finally witnessed maintenance staff in battery powered mules. The days of sputtering weed wagons are coming to an end.

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 09:28:07 PM »
No

Jeff,

Use your imagination.

wasn't it a yes or no question?

If forced...GPS on each group a nice feature.
Preferably with an alarm that sounds when they're out of position .
Avoiding the "are we slow?" conversation altogether.....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 09:30:23 PM »
Time for electric maintenance machinery that is programmed to do their tasks at night after which they return to their charging stations and charge up for the next night.

Yes, in the future, no one will need jobs because the government will be taking such good care of us all.  /s

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 09:50:21 PM »
The book is one of the greatest bits of technology ever invented: completely portable, it holds vast amounts of information in an easy to read format and never needs batteries, and is so well made that it can last well over 100 years, while allowing its owner to quickly add (and later delete) his own ideas and comments directly into the book itself, using nothing more than the common pencil -- all for the very affordable average price of $19.95. A truly great technology. There must be an equivalent when it comes to golf courses and the game of golf -- maybe some kind of card type technology that lists simply the hole yardages from only one set of tees, and next to that the Bogey Score.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 09:50:50 PM »
No

Jeff,

Use your imagination.

wasn't it a yes or no question?

If forced...GPS on each group a nice feature.
Preferably with an alarm that sounds when they're out of position .
Avoiding the "are we slow?" conversation altogether.....

We have that where I play. A couple of weeks ago we were playing a sixsome where we all had our own carts. Three older guys were playing the up tees while three others played back. On the furthest hole from the clubhouse an assistant came out asking if we wanted him to tell the group in front of us to let us go through. Oops. It must have looked like on the computer that we caught them on every tee.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 09:59:23 PM »

Yes, in the future, no one will need jobs because the government will be taking such good care of us all.  /s

Given the market demand, it will happen after all the taxi, uber, and lyft drivers have been put out to pasture for the government to practice that taking care of on. ;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 10:06:41 PM »
Is pulling a Stewart sandwich out of the fridge yourself and throwing it in the microwave autonomy? Look at me, I’m eating and the chef is out of work!!! Progress. 

John Emerson

“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2021, 12:50:20 PM »
Having a hard time understanding the question.  Technology has already been applied for decades in the form of automated irrigation systems, advanced mowers & bunker smoothing machines, applying fertilizers & weed control, etc.  Its even appeared in equipment with much improved balls, club, shoes, clothing, etc. not to mention carts with GPS ...all of which have had a very real impact on the course.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2021, 02:17:21 PM »
I can envisage an increase in the use of rider-less mowers operating overnight. Charging likely aided by solar panels on maintenance shed even clubhouse buildings. Not at all courses but certainly at some.
Hazards could be an area for potential technology. Not just ride-on bunker raking .... but moveable hazards. Crazy idea maybe? Pre-shaped bunkers and ponds in easy-assemble sections, even walls and hedges etc, built in factories, ordered on-line, delivered on a flatbed truck, unloaded by a crane forklift or rolled-off the truck and installed by the maintenance crew. Heck, such could even be moved to another location on the course if necessary. Indeed for a bit of variety or for a tournament they could be re-repositioned or even temporary ones trucked-in and installed.
TV pro tournaments have gotten such that a bit more artificiality would likely hardly be noticed!
Atb

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2021, 02:33:15 PM »

It's here now but:
Cub Cadet halts autonomous golf mowing operation

Company ending support for RG3 robotic greens mower to the surprise of superintendents using the technology
February 12, 2020

https://www.golfcourseindustry.com/article/cub-cadet-autonomous-mowing-golf-operations/

Fully automated robotic mower for golf greens
The Precise Path RG3

https://newatlas.com/rg3-robot-mower/10951/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 02:38:04 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2021, 04:37:17 PM »
Read the article about automatic green mowers being withdrawn for the marky, but hard to believe this will not come back w a vengeance. Every farmer in the USA of any size uses GPS to drive their tractors...yes more precision needed on a golf course but given the $$ savings potential, it will happen for sure

mike_malone

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2021, 05:17:34 PM »
Having a hard time understanding the question.  Technology has already been applied for decades in the form of automated irrigation systems, advanced mowers & bunker smoothing machines, applying fertilizers & weed control, etc.  Its even appeared in equipment with much improved balls, club, shoes, clothing, etc. not to mention carts with GPS ...all of which have had a very real impact on the course.

So I guess I mean architecturally.
AKA Mayday

Lou_Duran

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2021, 05:52:36 PM »

How about orbital sun shields and long-sleeved shirts and pants made from climate control materials for those who play in the SW heat. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back