News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

More diverse/less conservative clubs
« on: January 21, 2021, 07:38:03 PM »
Note: This is not a political thread. If this thread becomes political or disrespectful to participants, I will be the first to ask for its removal.

We all know that, for various reasons, many private clubs in the U.S. have memberships that tend to be conservative/right-leaning or notably lacking in diversity. What significant clubs are known as the less conservative and/or more diverse ones in their areas? And how did they get to be this way? I know one common story is of clubs being founded because certain ethnicities or religions were excluded from existing clubs; here in the Bay Area, for example, Lake Merced Golf Club was founded because Jews were excluded from other clubs in the area.

Incidentally, I'm not looking for information about places to play or join, or about trying to change anything about a particular club as I'm not a member anywhere.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:43:03 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Bill Gayne

Re: More diverse/less conservative clubs
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 08:11:27 PM »
Are you looking for a list of clubs that happen to have a "diverse" membership or looking for ideas to transition "conservative" clubs to "diverse" ones?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 08:14:39 PM »
Beverly is a perfect club that anyone could be proud to say they are a member.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 08:34:27 PM »
I suggest a non-member owned  club.

My former club in the Philly 'burbs, Commonwealth, was such a club. It opened in 1990. I gave it a try. Yes, we had quite a mix- young/old, Asian, Jewish, Christian, African Americans, atheists,  executives, lawyers, doctors, dentists, management, athletes, entrepreneurs, women, gamblers, non gamblers, liberals, conservatives, no assessments, non-equity, excellent food and a very good challenging course that is in the top rated in PA.

The trend continues in the area with member owned clubs selling out to corporate/investor money and opening up membership.

Some member owned clubs have transitioned away from discrimination to diversity in order to stay relevant. 

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 08:43:46 PM »
I guess it depends on how you define "diversity".  Bel Air seemed to have more racial & ethnic diversity amongst the membership than most clubs I have worked around, but not much diversity at all if sorted by class or wealth.

I would posit that the most diverse clubs tend to be in smaller cities and towns where there is only one course that everyone wants to join.  In bigger cities, the market sorted itself out 50-100 years ago, and there are still remnants of that all these years later.  I'm curious to hear examples of clubs that made that go away.

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 08:54:21 PM »
Prairie Dunes might fit this description

corey miller

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 09:02:14 PM »

How do you define "conservative"?  Are you talking politically or adherence to "societal norms" at the country club or on the golf course?  In some of our great Northeast cities I would offer that the assumptions you are making are way off if you are linking conservative politically with lack of diversity of membership.   

Perhaps a little clarification could lead to a meaningful discussion. 

I would venture that the older clubs that are the most diverse  were probably the least strong financially at some point forcing them to "open up" a lot sooner than they would have.   
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:04:25 PM by corey miller »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 09:11:55 PM »
Prairie Dunes might fit this description

I was surprised by the number of Catholics in Hutchinson. I was even more surprised when I went to mass at Our Lady of Guadalupe and not a brown person was to be found. The most diverse crowd in town is at the Rusty Nail. Simply wonderful God fearing people who I truly miss.

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 09:29:28 PM »
The Bridge
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 09:36:00 PM »
Please let the shark eat the octopus.

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 09:45:22 PM »
Please let the shark eat the octopus.

Actually the picker ate the sea monster...(scroll)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:29:26 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 09:53:40 PM »
The most diverse courses I know are the ones found in the most diverse cities; it may be as simple as that. My hometown is home to people from 110 countries, and many faith traditions, and has large 1st and 2nd generation populations from all across Europe, Asia, and parts of the Middle East, Africa and South America. Not surprisingly, if you go to the best of the modestly priced city-run courses there, you meet a very diverse group of golfers.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:57:50 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 11:55:59 PM »
I was a member of a very diverse CC outside DC. The CC at Woodmore is located in Prince George's county, Md. (It was Prince George's CC at one time) When I joined somewhere around 1985 it was almost a men's club. The men were mostly white but both Christian and Jewish. There were very few women and children. It still had a men's grill and men's tee times on weekend mornings. A lawsuit from women members began to change things. Families began to join and because of where it is located many of those families were African/American. When I moved away I would think that half the membership was white and half was African/American. I suspect that the African/American club population has increased. I have to say that most of my friends at the club didn't care who was a member as long as they liked golf. From my perspective it had a great club atmosphere when I left.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 04:39:20 PM »
Riviera is supposed to be diverse as opposed to LACC.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 05:55:58 PM »

I thought I heard LA CC didn’t allow anyone from the entertainment industry.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Paul Carey

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 06:13:04 PM »

Every member there is rich not really diverse.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 06:24:41 PM »

Every member there is rich not really diverse.
Economically yes members at the Big 3 in LA are wealthy, not really a surprise is it?  Riviera is corporate owned by Japanese owners and they were actively trying to buy members out to decrease members when I played there in 2018, according to my host. Not sure if it was targeted to a certain demographic.

LA area clubs were separated by religion originally with Hillcrest and Brentwood being formed for Jewish members as they weren't admitted elsewhere. Bel Air was entertainment along with Lakeside and later Sherwood. LACC traditionally did shun the entertainment crowd.In any metro area you have all the diversity you would want both racially, ethnically, religion and socio economic. Look at those cities best clubs and ask which are the most diverse according to your own definition. It is much easier to list those that are exclusionary.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back