News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Prayers for RJ (Dick) Daley aka bendelow2
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 11:01:24 AM »
I would love when Dick would write long passionate posts about subjects he cared deeply about, more than a screen full for those who weren't around. I didn't read them, but I did love em.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 04:02:47 PM »
Hang in there Dick.  I think I last saw him at the Irish BUDA 2016(?).
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 06:14:50 PM »
Dick keep fighting, praying for a full recovery.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2021, 07:00:43 PM »
Fairly good news so far today. He’s responded to treatment as well as can be expected - and is even posting on Facebook. Not totally out of the woods yet, but moving in the right direction. He’s loving the thoughts and support from friends especially.
M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2021, 07:39:17 PM »
Fairly good news so far today. He’s responded to treatment as well as can be expected - and is even posting on Facebook. Not totally out of the woods yet, but moving in the right direction. He’s loving the thoughts and support from friends especially.
M.
Glad to hear this.

JohnVDB

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2021, 08:44:42 PM »
Very sorry to hear he is so ill, but good to hear he is showing signs of recovery.  We had a great time playing Lawsonia Links back in 2000.

Stay strong Dick.

archie_struthers

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2021, 08:52:28 PM »
 :-* :'(

yep great poster God Bless Bendelow

Jason Hines

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2021, 09:01:46 PM »
Met Dick several times over the years at WH and throughout the sand hills of Nebraska.

Godspeed Dick and hope to see you soon.

Charles Lund

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2021, 01:57:15 AM »
I am on Facebook and got the news yesterday.  There was an update today and some input from him, perhaps assisted by someone with him.  I was relieved to see better news today and activity.

I met Dick in Ireland in 2016 at Donegal GC after Ireland BUDA.  We had exchanged a lot of emails dealing with golf and travel and combining the two.  We shared an interest in extended overseas travel and cultural immersion, with and without golf.  He followed Facebook posts and we shared some overlapping views about social policy and political issues.  Because we both undertook some of the same kinds of multi-destination overseas trips, we exchanged travel stories on a regular basis.

I hope to see continued updates of his status on Facebook.

Charles Lund

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2021, 09:27:28 AM »

A speedy recovery to the real Honorable Dick Daley.   

I first met Dick back in old days before there was even a GCA.. I know him when he was on the Traditional Golf site and we had golf outings in Michigan and North Carolina circa 2001. 

Get well soon,

BHoover

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2021, 09:51:33 AM »
I met Mr. Daley at Lawsonia in 2015. He is a very friendly and welcoming man and I wish him nothing but the very best.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2021, 11:14:47 AM »
Like a few others here, I've known Dick since waaaay before GCA days and have had the good fortune of playing golf with him and spending quality time with him off the course as well. There are few other finer people than him...hoping and praying for a continued speedy recovery.

Hang in there, brother!!!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2021, 05:21:37 PM »
For my money, Dick is the very soul of golf (including this website).

A wonderful man.

I am thinking only the best of thoughts for you, Dick — and remembering our trip to Sutton Bay (you, off in the rocks, tap-tap-tapping them to alert the rattlers) and your first visit to Midland Hills No. 14 (where no one ever took greater pleasure than you did as you came to the top of the hill between the Alps bunkers).

Get well, man.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

George Freeman

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2021, 05:38:15 PM »
Stay strong Dick! 

Thinking about you.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2021, 06:41:46 PM »
Posting on Facebook today!
Improvements again. Small steps, but all in the right direction.
Phew!
M.
❤️
PS VIDEO CLIP EVEN!
PPS I WISH I could share this FB video. It’s awesome.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:08:25 PM by Marty Bonnar »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2021, 07:10:45 PM »
Annand... here's Dickie.   Today was big turning point.  The zIV Immuglobin is turning the tide.  The diaphram strength is improved.  I have a way to go.  But I can go without breathing machine BI'ZPAP for an hour or so.  Can't recline without machine.  But can stand and sit upright with just oxygen cannel.  To get home they need me to demonstrate I can go 24 hours machine free.  So there is the big goal.  I'l. !i,e,I,, need oxygen aid at home for a while.  Will have to do this IVig infusions momthly for a while Orford er.  Or. Investigating SOLERIS which is weekly for months the bi-weelky, indefinitely.It is not a cure as there is no cure for zMG.  Solaris is a monoclonal antibody, among the most expensive on the planet.  Medicare is paying on very criteria rich conditions.
The main thing is to let you all know how much your well wishes have meant to me and determination to see as many of you as I can, particularly when you come through the area for Lawsonia, Erin or the Staits.  I will never be able to swing a club again due to the shoulders destroyed...but I can eat and have an occasional beer or vino !!! ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2021, 07:19:56 PM »
❤️

Tom_Doak

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2021, 07:27:30 PM »
The main thing is to let you all know how much your well wishes have meant to me and determination to see as many of you as I can, particularly when you come through the area for Lawsonia, Erin or the Staits.  I will never be able to swing a club again due to the shoulders destroyed...but I can eat and have an occasional beer or vino !!! ;D 8)

Dick:

Also, I will be reconstructing the Lido in your back yard this summer.  Hang around for that!

jeffwarne

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2021, 08:18:48 PM »
Great news!
Hang in there Dick
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill Seitz

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2021, 08:47:34 PM »
Great news! Glad you're feeling better, Dick.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2021, 12:22:34 AM »
Great news!
Hang in there Dick
+100, and thank you for stopping by and letting us know, mio caro amico. And, while I'm no expert, RJ, I do believe that having una bottiglia di vino is *always* a very good thing!
Best
Pietro

Garland Bayley

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2021, 12:59:03 AM »
Ardglass is having a 50 pound international membership special for 2021 as far as I can tell from the website. You best get your health back and take advantage of this special deal at one of your special places. Never say never.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 01:01:07 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas Dai

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2021, 04:03:39 AM »
RJD,
Good to read your words Dick. Keep improving.
atb

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2021, 05:45:29 AM »
I will never be able to swing a club again due to the shoulders destroyed...but I can eat and have an occasional beer or vino !!! ;D 8)

Dick,

Beautiful update. It is very difficult for my younger son to swing a club, but he is a hiker so he will walk 9 holes with me and putt greens. Thanks to Jim Kennedy, we have a place to do it.

Spring is coming so maybe grab the putter and a cart...
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Steve Wilson

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2021, 10:41:49 AM »
Dick,

It's great to have you posting.  As far as never swinging a club again, remember they told Hogan he'd never walk, then he'd never play golf, then he'd never play tournament golf, then I think they quit telling him anything.

Don't know what exactly happened to shoulders, but I like Mike Sweeney's solution.  With your passion for golf and golf courses you would be able to indulge your love for them.  And there's a great deal of fun to be had just putting on good greens.

Best wishes for continued improvement.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back