News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JR Potts

Re: New 2022 PGA Venue
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2021, 12:31:06 PM »
I bet Whistling Straights could take it with short notice.

But there would be a 10% chance of snow...and even a greater chance of the greens and fairways still being dormant.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2021, 01:12:38 PM »
Why not Baltusrol?

Baltusrol is finishing an extensive renovation to the Lower course and will begin work on the Upper this year. The membership will have had at least three years in a row where only one course is open. I suspect the club does not want to disrupt things more than they already have been. The members I know are very upset about the disruption of play.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2021, 01:29:43 PM »
I expect Philadelphia Cricket to throw their hat in the ring. Hosted the PGA National Club Pro Championship a few years ago and the Sr Players.

Plenty of options really, so I'm guessing cash will play more than a small role...

My vote after reviewing all the options and opinions.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

corey miller

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2021, 04:07:26 PM »

Hopefully the PGA can do two things at one time...Remove Trump from the schedule and perhaps set the 2022 PGA as the date of the return for Justin Thomas.

Would be nice if Masters did not invite as that club has more than a few old white guys that tend to do the right thing. 

Peter Flory

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2021, 04:18:13 PM »
Does it have to stay in the same region for logistical reasons or could they go across the country? 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2021, 04:31:43 PM »
Guess they’d be tempted with their own place if it were ready in time - https://www.visitfrisco.com/pga/
Mind, the event is already scheduled to go there in 2027 and 2034.
Atb

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2021, 07:45:29 PM »
1. Oak Hill, Oakland Hills, and any other, recently-renovated course need firming time before hosting;

3. I cannot imagine Valhalla wanting to bump up two years;

5. Shoal Creek is ideal. It recently hosted a women's open and would probably love to host another PGA;

2. Even with limited or no attendees, most of the clubs mentioned above do not have the footprint nor the expertise in hosting;

4. If they don't bump Oak Hill up a year, or head to Shoal Creek, I surmise that they will go to Aronimink (just had a successful Women's PGA there) or Quail Hollow.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2021, 07:59:24 PM »
1. Oak Hill, Oakland Hills, and any other, recently-renovated course need firming time before hosting;

5. Shoal Creek is ideal. It recently hosted a women's open and would probably love to host another PGA;

2. Even with limited or no attendees, most of the clubs mentioned above do not have the footprint nor the expertise in hosting;

4. If they don't bump Oak Hill up a year, or head to Shoal Creek, I surmise that they will go to Aronimink (just had a successful Women's PGA there) or Quail Hollow.

Valhalla is a very likely option, owned by PGA and massive profit maker for them in year they will likely also pay Trump a big breakup fee.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2021, 08:07:40 PM »
Any chance their contract with Trump contains a morality clause that would allow them to cancel without penalty? Something like “in the event either party incites insurrection and attempted coup, this contract shall be rendered void and unenforceable.”

Seems like it should be boilerplate?

Drew Maliniak

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2021, 08:57:51 PM »
Interesting questions.

I doubt anything like the force majeure clause works here. The PGA likely will pay some liquidated damages.

Honestly, May in the Northeast has terrible weather.

Alotian would be another interesting pick. The Mid-South has fantastic weather in May.

BHoover

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2021, 09:54:45 PM »
Is there a chance Inverness could get back on the PGA of America’s radar?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2021, 10:29:39 PM »
I have not played it but how about Oak Tree National in Oklahoma - would be good to see another quality Pete Dye course getting recognition this year. 

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2021, 10:52:12 PM »
Is there a chance Inverness could get back on the PGA of America’s radar?

Inverness is hosting the 2021 Solheim Cup, not sure they would want another huge event is such a short period of time.

I wonder if Philly Cricket Club would be interested in hosting in 2022.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2021, 11:13:59 PM »
Time for the next major at Chambers Bay. May and June see primo golf conditions in the PNW.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

mike_beene

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2021, 12:08:52 AM »
Oak Tree becomes a two sided house corridor course on holes 10 through 14. It does have infrastructure room. Seems Southern Hills a better Oklahoma option. Besides, it can’t be more than a couple of hours from Frisco to north Ok. City.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2021, 05:32:02 AM »
JC suggests the Black at Bethpage as a "new contender." That would work.

Weather in northeast isn't necessarily terrible; it's hit or miss. You might get high 80s, or you might get high 40s. You might get sun, or you might get cloud tears.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2021, 06:08:58 AM »

Going to Quail presents a another problem as they would be scheduled to host a PGA Tournament during the same time frame.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

John Emerson

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2021, 10:18:05 AM »

Valhalla is a very likely option, owned by PGA and massive profit maker for them in year they will likely also pay Trump a big breakup fee.

Valhalla is a Nicklaus course...is he too toxic to talk about at the moment?  Does pga see this and stay away from valhalla for the time being?
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2021, 11:04:52 AM »

Valhalla is a Nicklaus course...is he too toxic to talk about at the moment?  Does pga see this and stay away from valhalla for the time being?

The PGA owns the course for circumstances such as this. I would think the fact that Nicklaus designed it in 1986 wont reflect an any decisions in 2021 by the PGA. I see where youre thinking is those & its not uncommon to see organizations split hairs on these sorts of things.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2021, 11:23:52 AM »
For a counter opinion, this headline from the Ft. Worth Star Telegram (locally known as the startle gram)

'C'mon PGA quit all the political BS.' PGA pulls championship from Trump golf course.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Rob Marshall

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2021, 11:50:29 AM »
JC suggests the Black at Bethpage as a "new contender." That would work.

Weather in northeast isn't necessarily terrible; it's hit or miss. You might get high 80s, or you might get high 40s. You might get sun, or you might get cloud tears.

Ron, as you and I both know when it "misses" it's brutal. Think Jay Haas PGA Sr............It's never firm and fast in May
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2021, 12:08:13 PM »

Ron, as you and I both know when it "misses" it's brutal. Think Jay Haas PGA Sr............It's never firm and fast in May

As someone in the northeast who coaches a high school golf team that plays its matches in the spring, I agree that the weather in May is more bad than good, and the courses are rarely in great shape. Certainly not in the preferred condition we see in summer and fall.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2021, 12:12:41 PM »
This could be a good time for the PGA to act on their whispers years ago when they were exploring playing a PGA outside the USA. In unique times it behooves one to think outside the box as we are already outside of it. You can experiment more safely with an idea like this and hopefully open up new markets while doing so. Want to break from the label of the least prestigious major? Get creative.

As Bruce Dickinson would say, “Gene explore the space.”
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

V. Kmetz

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2021, 12:31:55 PM »
Ahhh... who cares, really? Play it at the north pole or at the bottom of the sea or don't play it all; we can certainly live, work, play, without it at the drop of a hat.

As long as Treason National is cancelled, blotted out, erased, eliminated, repudiated and to whatever measure brought to ruin, I'm willing to overlook the PGA's mere CYA stance.   

Shouldn't have been there in the first place: unseasoned, historically insignificant venue by meh reputational architect, branded by Moloch. 

Other than that, the tournament will always be at the behest of the weather and look it up for yourself (at least in the Tri State area where this tournament was slated) May is the most pleasant, stable, temperate month we have.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back