News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Where would you play your last round?
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2024, 01:08:28 PM »
I was right.  I played Pacific Dunes Tuesday afternoon under sunny skies and a one club wind.  I was chauffeured in a cart.
Averaged about .086 and kept the shortstop busy, but hit some line drive singles at the end.  I was wondering what was I doing out there, it definitely wasn't golf.   Was going to play Sheep Ranch, and (later this year) Bar Run to keep my every golf course in Oregon intact.
But those would have been a waste of my time and money because I now suck at golf.

It was a wonderful run, multiple overseas trips for 40+ years and meeting a lot of great people.

Pete, that is a moving tale of joy and woe. My body is showing its age, and my skills are deteriorating quickly. Every time I tee it up, I wonder how many more rounds I can go. Glad you had such a good run.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pierre_C

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2024, 04:25:29 PM »

Paul,

Good question, it’s simple & short. Originally, my mind raced to CPC as an answer. Some of my fondest memories are at the peninsula, where I played golf with my father and brothers.

April 15 is the birthday of Leonhard Euler, so I recently read a paper on "A Mathematician’s Apology” and Euler’s equation, which discusses the deeper constructs and beauty of mathematics. During dinner, I was thinking about your question and thought of Euler’s equation. Your question is simple, but profound in that it embodies the quintessence relationship between myself and golf. For each of us this relationship is based on a varying number of factors and intensity.

Cape Kidnappers would be where I want to play my last round of golf. My opinion, Kidnappers embodies a balance of peace, simplicity, and beauty.

For the most part, you feel as if you are the only person on all 18 holes, where you can play a round in 3.5 or 6 hours. The property is isolated, so the annual rounds play is relatively small. Some locals residents play but rounds are mostly golfers off scheduled cruise ships docked in Napier.

The course has a natural accelerando. The subtle understated qualities of the first few holes transition into something exciting as you play the 4th, 5th, & 6th holes. Giving you a hint into something special. The back nine is where you realize you are in a special place - especially standing on the 12th green. For me, the 16th tee box made me feel as if I was standing on the edge of the world. The few minutes standing on the 16th tee I felt as if I was in Nirvana. My mind and body were at peace. Nothing to remind me of the modern world except for my golf bag & ball. Then my wife broke the silence as she yelled at me, “Are you okay, why aren't you teeing off?"

Julian sold the property to Rosewood in '22, so I'm not sure whether or not it has changed.

(2^82589933) - 1

Chris Hughes

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2024, 02:15:35 AM »
The Men's Club...no question.

Michael Morandi

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2024, 02:41:47 AM »
Cal Club for the golf, my good friends there and the hang. Loch Lomond for the beautiful peace I might want during my last days.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2024, 04:44:46 AM »
I was right.  I played Pacific Dunes Tuesday afternoon under sunny skies and a one club wind.  I was chauffeured in a cart.
Averaged about .086 and kept the shortstop busy, but hit some line drive singles at the end.  I was wondering what was I doing out there, it definitely wasn't golf.   Was going to play Sheep Ranch, and (later this year) Bar Run to keep my every golf course in Oregon intact.
But those would have been a waste of my time and money because I now suck at golf.

It was a wonderful run, multiple overseas trips for 40+ years and meeting a lot of great people.
Sorry to hear that Pete. I still remember your great round at Santa Maria CC in the the King's Putter and it doesn't seem that long ago. Time flies.
Maybe you can have a resurgence on par 3 courses or just hanging around putting greens to stay close to the game. My dad did that when he was no longer able to golf full length courses up until his 90th birthday.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2024, 12:32:28 PM »
I've been thinking about this because I can see an end to my playing days. I have had bunches of orthopedic problems in the last ten years. Each one could have put an end to my playing days. Oddly enough, I think I might ski longer than I play golf. If I knew I was going to play one last round, it would be where I live, at Bryce Resort, with my wife, son, and daughter. We built here in 1985 as a second home and retired here in 2014. We made many family memories here.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jason Thurman

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2024, 01:29:42 PM »

I won't forget the very clean round full of buried putts that you played alongside Buck against Jones and me in the Kingsley Mashie. I've referenced it more than a few times since as I was still pretty new to the game really... it was one of the first times I took a drubbing at the hands of a shorter but savvier and more polished player. You weren't the most youthfully athletic guy in our group. Just the best player. It taught me something about how the rewards of the game don't necessarily diminish with age as much as they simply change. I hope you felt a little of that last Tuesday, and I'll root for you to continue to find little tastes of it in the future too.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2024, 03:46:21 PM »

I won't forget the very clean round full of buried putts that you played alongside Buck against Jones and me in the Kingsley Mashie. I've referenced it more than a few times since as I was still pretty new to the game really... it was one of the first times I took a drubbing at the hands of a shorter but savvier and more polished player. You weren't the most youthfully athletic guy in our group. Just the best player. It taught me something about how the rewards of the game don't necessarily diminish with age as much as they simply change. I hope you felt a little of that last Tuesday, and I'll root for you to continue to find little tastes of it in the future too.
I remember that day very fondly as well! He was clinical.

Most sports people have to give up much earlier in life which probably makes losing it even harder.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2024, 03:49:42 PM »
Jason and Buck,
Thank you, I remember that day as well.  Jason asked if there was anything from back then that was evident in my final round.
Pretty sure it was "unathletic".

George Pazin

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2024, 04:50:39 PM »
Happy to hear your choice was confirmed, Pete. Hoping maybe it won't be your last...

I'm simply hoping for a next round. I did have knee replacement, seems to have gone well. Still, I wonder.

Last round would be with Mike and Don at their baby. I'd also be happy with Barnbougle and Greg R. and Tom D. Or Wild Horse with Dick Daley and Big Red. Or with a longtime friend at Mountain Ridge. Or......
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ian Andrew

« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2024, 06:43:52 AM »
Jasper Park GC

Mostly intact Stanley Thompson
Rocky Mountains
Best set of 3’s in Canada
Most fun of the Big Five to play
Great finishing hole

Dinner at the Lodge after.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back