News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

Re: A Course You Could Play Every Day
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2021, 12:19:17 PM »
The Valley Club at Montecito is the best club I have ever visited for all around everyday greatness. Those people love me.

Was supposed to play there in December, but Covid hit our family. Will get out there this spring, hopefully...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2021, 01:48:38 PM »
Sign me up for Rolling Green and Cuscowilla.

Not Augusta CC?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2021, 01:51:16 PM »
If top 100, how do you not want to play Cypress. It has it all, low key club atmosphere, holes in the Del Monte Forest, in the dunes. and along the ocean. Is there a close second?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2021, 01:56:56 PM »
If top 100, how do you not want to play Cypress. It has it all, low key club atmosphere, holes in the Del Monte Forest, in the dunes. and along the ocean. Is there a close second?

Cypress Point and NGLA would be my top two, no question.

Even most of the other courses I rated a "10" in The Confidential Guide are places I would struggle to play every day, because they're that difficult.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2021, 02:45:12 PM »
Fisher's island
Shoreacres
Valley Club

International and easily would feel at home
Sunningdale
Royal Melbourne
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2021, 06:50:23 PM »
Of the courses I have played I would say Somerset Hills is the one course I could play every day and never get bored.

John Kirk

« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2021, 07:59:37 PM »
For me, personal history, beauty and location are more important than the quality of the golf holes.  I like knocking the ball around the walk.  I'm also not intimidated by a moderately difficult walk, though my right knee has deteriorated to the point where it may begin to limit my activities.

Among the current Golf Magazine Top 100 courses I've played, the four that stand out are Ballyneal for sentimental reasons, and then Riviera, Pasatiempo and Pebble Beach, also chosen for somewhat sentimental reasons.  So hard to choose among these greats.  I know many of the other top 100 courses are superior shotmaking exercises.  Some of them insist on having narrow fairways and thick rough in the spring and summer, and that would be a deal breaker for me.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 08:38:43 PM by John Kirk »

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2021, 08:19:16 PM »
Sign me up for Rolling Green and Cuscowilla.

Not Augusta CC?

Already signed up there! 

Ash Towe

« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2021, 01:39:11 AM »
Tara Iti. Its only 45 minutes away and no need to leave NZ

AChao

« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2021, 01:46:21 AM »
Cypress Point - kind of "goldilocks" course for me ... fun, beautiful setting, easy to walk
Valley Club - setting is great
NGLA - fun

I like courses that aren't too hard to walk as I like and need to walk.  (I don't mind carts ... I just can't ride in them too often as it hurts my back -- and with the really great courses, I enjoy just being there.  My home course, I used to play 18 holes in 1:45 in a cart which was great as I didn't have large windows of time.)  If I'm at one of the three mentioned above and others, I'll happily be out there for a long time.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2021, 08:54:08 AM »
I think George Thomas nailed this with his course within the course idea to provide as much versatility as possible.

LACC North would be my first choice.  Though I could never live in LA, if I could live walking distance from the front gate I would be a happy camper.  One of the most beautiful walk in the park atmospheres I have ever seen.  The variety of trees, elevation changes, and views makes it such an enjoyable round regardless of the golf course.  It doesn't hurt though that the golf course is amazing with endless strategy.   Can't wait to watch the US open.  Another plus is the weather is perfect year round. 

Riviera would be my second choice.  Noted for many of the same reasons above.  Easy walk and a course you would never get bored of. 

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2021, 09:16:14 AM »
The Old Course
Settindown Creek
Yeamens Hall
Cypress

David Davis

« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2021, 10:04:15 AM »
If I choose a resort do I get to play them all? If so it would be Bandon Dunes hands down.

If it's only a single course then my answer is less creative but anyone one of these would be wonderful:

Cypress Point
Shoreacres
NGLA
Somerset Hills

And several others that are easy walks - ideally along the sea and cool weather grasses where a huge variety of shots are required and it would be easily to play with a half set or even a few clubs.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2021, 10:13:52 AM »
A reversible 18-hole course would give another option especially if configured as two loops of nine or three loops of six or six loops of three. :)
Atb

D_Malley

« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2021, 11:50:41 AM »
I'll go with Merion...................WEST
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 04:01:27 PM by D_Malley »

Jay Mickle

« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2021, 02:23:23 PM »
I played for 125 straight days starting April 1 and finishing in August.  Some days were as few as 6 holes some 27, most 18. 90+% were played at Mid Pines. It remains my favorite.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Jim Sherma

« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2021, 03:37:10 PM »
This thread is kind of silly. What a surprise that everyone would want to be a member at Cypress Point or NGLA or Chicago Golf or St Andrews Old Course.

A more interesting conversation would be what attributes make one course more desirable than another as a "course you could play everyday".

I think some of the following would have to be true for me:

Enough length to be able to hit a lot of different clubs for approach shots and also to build a lot of flexibility into the length that I could play different holes at.

Enough width so that the drives are penalized in a manner more strategic than penal. Also fairly few cases of lost balls. Also, few to no instances of hit and hope type shots where there are lost ball areas on both sides of the fairway.

Large enough greens for variety emphasizing tilt with variation instead of sharp transitions between flatter pin-able areas. Tilt also drives good-miss/bad-miss types of strategies when considering approach shots.

Most, but not all, greens allowing run-up shots from at least certain angles - this would encourage more varieties of recovery shots.

Elevation changes driven by land movement - looking for a reasonable easy walk but also a reasonable amount of uneven lies so that there are few dead flat lies other than on the tees. this would also create some uphill and downhill shots along with some partially blind shots.     

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2021, 09:04:10 PM »
If you truly love golf, you'll play anywhere, for the rest of your life.

If you don't, this thread's for you.

If you are creative and grateful, you'll play anywhere, for the rest of your life.

I love golf, am creative, and grateful. Ciao.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2021, 12:32:09 AM »
So...seeing all these posts, I decided to find out "which course won"...based on certain groundrules.  First, note that there have been a total of 118 posts to date (including Tom's initial question opening the thread).  Some 40 of these did not include a "qualified vote" as per the following (my rules here...had to draw some up or this tabulation would have become impossible)...some inputs were eliminated if:

1.  only non-USA courses were named
2.  more than 5 courses were listed by a voter (without citing 5 or less as their favorites)
3.  post did not name any courses but just made the snarky comments we all do on GCA

Also, if you named 2, 3, 4 , or 5 USA courses, I gave each 0.50, 0.33, 0.25, or 0.20 votes respectively...otherwise we would have someone voting more than once and we all know that NEVER happens in any fair election ;D .  Lastly, if you voted for USA courses on more than one post, I merged these multiple posts and then applied the above rules (so if you voted for 4 courses on one post and 3 other courses on another...all you votes got canned since that put you at a total of 7 courses...over my limit of 5.

I should also confess that I chose not to differentiate courses that are Top 100 vs others...so all USA courses were eligible.

The results follow...understand that if a course was named 3 times, twice as the only course named on ballot and once as one of four courses on a ballot...that course would total 2.25 points

with a total of 72 GCA'ers voting (as of 11:45pm Eastern on Friday night), the top 10 were:

10.  Ballyneal                         1.75 points
9.    Valley Club of Montecito   1.87 points
8.    Merion-East                    2.00
7.    Shoreacres                     2.12
6.    Mid Pines                        2.15
5.    Old Town                        2.23  Thereby winning the NC Championship in an extremely tight race
4.    Torrey Pines-South          2.67  Shocking the analysts who had made early predictions
3.    Somerset Hills                2.92   Making some wonder if these results will cause the USGA two revisit their
 decision to move certain operations to Pinehurst
2.    NGLA                             3.93

and the runaway winner is:

1.    Cypress Point Club          7.08

Cypress was named on 17 ballots (including 3 stand alone votes worth of course 3 points between them) compared to NGLA's being named on 9 ballots (including 2 stand alone votes) , and Old Town in third place being named on 6.

Would like to do the same on my similar thread..."one last round in your life...where to play it" but you can't imagine how much time it takes!!

BTW...a total of 86 USA course received votes under the above rules...and this excludes 20 overseas courses mentioned (Australia-3; Canada-3, England-4, France-1, Ireland-3, NZ-1, Scotland-5).  Most mentioned overseas courses were Royal Melbourne and TOC with 4 and Royal Dornoch w 2.  The other 17 o/s courses were all mentioned 1x.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2021, 12:38:12 AM »
Almost all of the above mentioned courses belong to the dreams and fantasies category for everyday play.  I have been fortune to play almost every one mentioned.  For 7 years I got to play Engineers pretty much daily when not playing tournaments or other great courses for fun.  It was a new experience every day and I still look forward to returning to NY for more Engineers golf.

This is my realistic SoCal list with one course that is joinable but certainly far from entering the managers office and writing a check.
Rustic Canyon
Victoria Club
Santa Anita
Wilshire

The common thread with these courses is that they offer really good strategic challenges and have a super high fun factor.  And they have always had a great walking culture.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2021, 08:42:06 AM »
Just one public access in the top 10, which, I guess, figures.

Tim Martin

« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2021, 08:52:16 AM »
Just one public access in the top 10, which, I guess, figures.

Matt-Might be worthy of it’s own thread. “A Public Access Course You Can Play Every Day.”
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 09:01:26 AM by Tim Martin »

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2021, 11:48:58 AM »
For me this comes down to walkability, location (I'm picking courses that I could feasibly live and work closely to, as opposed to resort courses like Bandon), and fun (challenging, keeps you thinking, but not super hard).  Based on that criteria:

Mid PinesYeamanNCR SouthOak Hill West or Country Club of Rochester
SalemWilshireCapitol City CrabappleAtlanta National (my club  ;) ). 
Charlotte CC

Tom_Doak

« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2021, 02:27:55 PM »

The results follow...understand that if a course was named 3 times, twice as the only course named on ballot and once as one of four courses on a ballot...that course would total 2.25 points

with a total of 72 GCA'ers voting (as of 11:45pm Eastern on Friday night), the top 10 were:

10.  Ballyneal                         1.75 points
9.    Valley Club of Montecito   1.87 points
8.    Merion-East                    2.00
7.    Shoreacres                     2.12
6.    Mid Pines                        2.15
5.    Old Town                        2.23  Thereby winning the NC Championship in an extremely tight race
4.    Torrey Pines-South          2.67  Shocking the analysts who had made early predictions
3.    Somerset Hills                2.92   Making some wonder if these results will cause the USGA two revisit their
 decision to move certain operations to Pinehurst
2.    NGLA                             3.93

and the runaway winner is:

1.    Cypress Point Club          7.08

Cypress was named on 17 ballots (including 3 stand alone votes worth of course 3 points between them) compared to NGLA's being named on 9 ballots (including 2 stand alone votes) , and Old Town in third place being named on 6.

Paul:

If you agree not to take your posted results too seriously, I will agree not to ask Jon Cummings to explain the shortfall of your tabulation system.   ;)

For me, the less disputable revelation of the thread is the list of courses that got ZERO votes.  Nobody ever questions Pine Valley as the greatest course in America -- but I don't think it got any votes here.  Ditto many of our storied championship venues, even though [as their promoters always insist] they have plenty of middle and forward tee options for member play.

I'm curious, since you are the numbers guy:  how many courses in the GOLF DIGEST top 100 got even a single vote? 
And how many courses outside their top 100 got a vote, even though I'd asked to keep it to the top 100?

The point is, there's more to golf than the top 100 . . . and trying to get into the top 100 seems not to be the best way to build a course that everyone enjoys.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2021, 05:56:25 PM »
Torrey Pines South at #4?  To Play every day?

I'd rather gouge my eyes out...

P.S.  I see two publics on that list, Mid-Pines and TPS
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 05:58:07 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back