News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jonathan_becker

Re: A Course You Could Play Every Day
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2021, 02:59:24 PM »
Walk and carry, fairly tight routings where you can keep moving, plenty of scoring opportunities while still being challenging, highly interesting greens, beautiful scenery....

Valley Club
Somerset Hills

Steve Wilson

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2021, 03:12:24 PM »
The two courses I have played the most in my life.  The first one virtually no one here has played, Preston Country Club in Kingwood West Virginia.  It is billed as a level place in the Alleghenies, which it is.  It can be stretched to 7000 yards and it is eminently walkable with only about 30 feet of elevation change in its footprint which clings to the Cheat River.

The second is Golspie which quite a few of us here have experienced.  Also eminently walkable but with sufficient variety to make it never get old.  Links, heath, parkland, and a frequently changing wind.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Pat Burke

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2021, 03:20:11 PM »
Easy for me.
Royal Melbourne
A bit of a cheat, I get two courses.
But I loved the people, and with the winds and two courses, I couldn't imagine ever getting tired of being on those courses.

Plus, being in Melbourne is just a comfortable place for me

Rob Marshall

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2021, 03:20:21 PM »
How many top 100 courses will ask you to take it down a notch if you show up everyday?

This is interesting. I've always wondered if I was lucky enough to be a member at a place like Cypress Point and played everyday if it would be frowned on. I always assumed so. Most members probably aren't local and are members of other clubs.......
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2021, 03:24:05 PM »

Is there a distinction between "A course I could play every day" and "A course I would gladly have as my home course"? The latter seems more useful since there's no real example of the former (golfers play different courses at least sometimes), so it's a bit of a stretch ideal to hold any course to. I think the standard here brings several hundred courses into consideration, too.

Some nominations here in Florida:

Mountain Lake
Pine Tree
CC of Florida
The Dye Preserve
PGA GC (Dye)
CC of Orlando
Timuquana
Ft. Myers CC

Elsewhere:

Yale
TPC River Highlands
CC of Waterbury
Keney Park
CC of Farmington
Charleston Muni
Palmetto GC
Old Tabby
Diamond Springs
Pilgrims Run
LuLu
Jeffersonville
Old Town
Sedgefield

I could probably go on; maybe the size of my list outs me as being less discerning than some critics, but in my travels I've come to realize there's a (hard to pinpoint) minimum essential bar that some courses clear while others do not. That bar probably represents between 500 and 1,000 American courses; the top 100 are just clearing that bar by more than the others.

We don't need more top-100 courses. We need more courses that clear the bar.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Steve Lapper

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2021, 03:25:24 PM »
Royal Melbourne
Royal Dornoch
Morfontaine
Somerset Hills
Hollywood
North Berwick
Cypress Point
Eastward Ho
Maidstone
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Michael Felton

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2021, 03:26:23 PM »
I think NGLA is the one I would most like to belong to. The course is just so much fun. It's not that hard, but it does challenge you and the interest levels are off the charts. Of the courses I've played around me, I'd add the Creek Club. That's got a bunch of really good holes on it and lots of variety. I'm not sure I'd ever get bored just playing the 10th hole there.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2021, 03:27:57 PM »
Some nice places mentioned, but none top Swinley Forest.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2021, 03:30:35 PM »
Tim,

Yes, I think yours may be a better phrase, although it's not as catchy.

I'll be first in to say that the Golden Age courses will often qualify, having sort of aged into the sweet spot.  They aren't overly long, like modern courses tend to be, nor spread out.  And, while they may have been designed to be difficult in their day, with new tech, they are really quite moderate in tee to green difficulty, although some, if green speeds get up, may be harder on the greens.  Until recently, perhaps their ancient irrigation systems actually kept the course a bit firm and running (not universal, I know).

Based on my three playing of Royal Melbourne over two days, I think it qualifies in spades.  Me, and 80's shooter and my then wife, shooting in the 120's+, both made it around in 2 hours and 45 minutes each time, both shooting about our average score.  Fast play, good score, beautiful course?  What's not to like every day?

There must be 100's of others.  When I grew up in Chicago, nearly every less well known country club was at least close to fitting that bill.  For some reason, I have never been as fond of the mid level clubs here in DFW.  Also agree that playing a Raynor every day, like Shoreacres, would be a blast for similar reasons above.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 03:36:10 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Emerson

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2021, 03:42:19 PM »
Torrey Pines.  Yes I like that course, but I know it’s not popular here.  I always play with locals and they have made every single one of my experiences enjoyable.  They play fast and get it done.  It has good golf and great views.  Add in a couple good folks and there ya go.  I hate that so many people bash it.  Is it world class? Maybe no, but I could play it every day and not be bored.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2021, 03:43:37 PM »
Based on my three playing of Royal Melbourne over two days, I think it qualifies in spades.  Me, and 80's shooter and my then wife, shooting in the 120's+, both made it around in 2 hours and 45 minutes each time, both shooting about our average score.  Fast play, good score, beautiful course?  What's not to like every day?

Did your wife really shoot 120 in under three hours?  That's gotta be hard to do.  Or did she score better at RM, as I would expect?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2021, 03:45:04 PM »
Torrey Pines.  Yes I like that course, but I know it’s not popular here.  I always play with locals and they have made every single one of my experiences enjoyable.  They play fast and get it done.  It has good golf and great views.  Add in a couple good folks and there ya go.  I hate that so many people bash it.  Is it world class? Maybe no, but I could play it every day and not be bored.

I loved my day there and agree. If this is a serious question you can't beat the weather.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2021, 03:48:30 PM »
Tim,

Yes, I think yours may be a better phrase, although it's not as catchy.

I'll be first in to say that the Golden Age courses will often qualify, having sort of aged into the sweet spot.  They aren't overly long, like modern courses tend to be, nor spread out.  And, while they may have been designed to be difficult in their day, with new tech, they are really quite moderate in tee to green difficulty, although some, if green speeds get up, may be harder on the greens.  Until recently, perhaps their ancient irrigation systems actually kept the course a bit firm and running (not universal, I know).

There must be 100's of others.  When I grew up in Chicago, nearly every less well known country club was at least close to fitting that bill.  For some reason, I have never been as fond of the mid level clubs here in DFW.  Also agree that playing a Raynor every day, like Shoreacres, would be a blast for similar reasons above.

Did your wife ask you why you didn't build courses that fun?

My "then crew" screwed up my personal driveway to the point it harmed the marriage to my "current wife". Someone had to go.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 03:53:48 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2021, 03:56:00 PM »

Is there a distinction between "A course I could play every day" and "A course I would gladly have as my home course"? The latter seems more useful since there's no real example of the former (golfers play different courses at least sometimes), so it's a bit of a stretch ideal to hold any course to. I think the standard here brings several hundred courses into consideration, too.

I could probably go on; maybe the size of my list outs me as being less discerning than some critics, but in my travels I've come to realize there's a (hard to pinpoint) minimum essential bar that some courses clear while others do not. That bar probably represents between 500 and 1,000 American courses; the top 100 are just clearing that bar by more than the others.

We don't need more top-100 courses. We need more courses that clear the bar.

Tim:

I agree with some of that, but not all of that.

From the lists being presented, it seems rare to find a top 100 course you'd want to play every day, but not that hard to think of some other courses that would fit the bill.  I took a quick look through the GOLF DIGEST top 100, and only counted about twenty that I would be happy playing as my main source of golf.

I agree that there are lots of other courses which fit the bill, indeed fit it better than most top-100 venues.  But there are so few clients who say "I want a course I will be excited to play every day", instead of talking about rankings.  A lot of the courses built in the 1990's and early 2000's were for developers who didn't intend to play there at all . . .

The one point where we'd disagree is that the top top courses "just clear that bar by more than the others".  Oakmont and Pine Valley and Winged Foot surely didn't fly over this bar.  I think they are clearing a different bar that most of the places you listed do not even try to clear.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2021, 04:08:10 PM »
I'll go with courses that are available to me to play every day. In England I'll go with Westward Ho! I have played it 8 days in a row a few times and never tired of it.
In Ireland I'll go with the European Club. I have played it five days in a row a few times and never want to leave.
AT home, it would be Hidden Creek. It is great fun, very walkable and has a great club atmosphere.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2021, 04:09:33 PM »

Did your wife ask you why you didn't build courses that fun?

My "then crew" screwed up my personal driveway to the point it harmed the marriage to my "current wife". Someone had to go.

Well, she was most impressed at RM that you could take the pull trolleys right over the green.  She also got into an argument with some of the members, insisting that Outback Steak House must be owned by Australians, so why had they never heard of it?The only comments she made on my courses was that the bunkers looked like boobs and butts, and she though I have some fetish.  When told I was simply following McKenzie, she thought that was some sorority girl or something.......

I agree with Tommy W, in reality, if a course isn't available to you, either by price or geography, it may as well not exist, at least for many golfers.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2021, 04:13:30 PM »
+1 I lived up the road in Mira Mesa for 2 years and got in about 50 rounds on the Torrey South for the resident rate. The more I played it the more I liked it and you can't beat the weather.
Olympic Club Lake would be #1 if not for the fog and cold Summer weather. I love the trees and the echo a golf shot makes there. 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2021, 04:19:00 PM »
I would say, based on my experience, that SFGC is a pleasure to play every day, Olympic is not.  I am presuming both are on someone's Top 100 or 200 list, at least.

In LA, a similar thing might be Riv vs LACC.  Riv harder and more famous, LACC a lot more fun.  I played it with Pete Dye and he said he thought it was the best course in California, which is saying something.

Speaking of LACC, I always wondered how much the details matter in something like that.  For instance, on the 11th, a reverse Redan type hole, maybe a tough course would have the green reverse slope all the way.  It seems like the 11th flares up at the back a little (I used to have a topo map of it, now buried deep in the closet, or gone) to help those run on shots from bounding down the hill.  Does a little help on your golf shots, while still allowing you to play it as a Redan (I think you have to on 11) make the difference between playable and championship courses?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2021, 04:21:19 PM »
Isn't Lakeside really where you want to play everyday in LA?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2021, 04:27:40 PM »
The more I think about this, 2 courses keep popping in my head.  Ballyneal and Wine Valley...

Both a ton of fun, in great settings, and not a tree to be found!  ;D

JMEvensky

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2021, 04:29:29 PM »
Portmarnock so I can have Dublin every day too.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2021, 04:39:05 PM »

I would say, based on my experience, that SFGC is a pleasure to play every day, Olympic is not.  I am presuming both are on someone's Top 100 or 200 list, at least.

In LA, a similar thing might be Riv vs LACC.  Riv harder and more famous, LACC a lot more fun.  I played it with Pete Dye and he said he thought it was the best course in California, which is saying something.

Hmm, I agree 100% on the first example, and I would have gone just the other way around in the latter.  Maybe it's just a matter of "who I know" at each, but I've always found Riviera more relaxed.  But I haven't been here or to LACC since we began working at Bel Air.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2021, 04:47:47 PM »

Hmm, I agree 100% on the first example, and I would have gone just the other way around in the latter.  Maybe it's just a matter of "who I know" at each, but I've always found Riviera more relaxed.  But I haven't been here or to LACC since we began working at Bel Air.

Agree it's certainly not as stark a contrast.

Jon Claydon

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2021, 04:58:23 PM »
I would happily play Merion or Bel-Air every day. 

Thought my first choice would be Ballybunion Old if the question posited didn't remove this as an option. 

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 05:04:43 PM by Jon Claydon »

Tim Gallant

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2021, 05:04:39 PM »
I'd go with Myopia Hunt! I think there is so much there to keep me interested each and everyday. There are lots of half par holes, and greens that would keep the game fun well into my old age. With different pins, it would be neat thinking about the best strategies needed to attack each of those holes. I can't see myself losing a lot of golf balls, would likely play quick, and the walk wouldn't break me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back