News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RDecker

A Tough/Fun Decision to be made
« on: November 18, 2003, 07:14:14 AM »
I'll pose this question as a hypothetical situation that I'd like some feedback on from the educated folks who post here.
You are the Manager at an old Donald Ross 9 hole club in New England and your club is exploring the possibility of purchasing an adjacent parcel of land for the purpose of adding 9 more.  If the deal happens you will be the main guiding factor in the clubs choosing of an architect to build this new 9.  Who do you consider and ultimately choose all things being equal?

A_Clay_Man

Re:A Tough/Fun Decision to be made
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 09:17:59 AM »
R-Since non of the educated will respond, I will.

Is it part of your hypothetical that the new holes are to be built in the "spirit" of DR? ::) (sorry couldn't help myself)

I wouldn't assume every DR course has nines that are on similar topography. Buncombe Muni, has two distinct nines.

In this hypo, is the topography similar to the old nine?

For me, there was only one name that came to mind, which made me think this was a trick question.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 09:23:53 AM »
RDecker,
If I were you, I'd do what Mr. Tufts did at Pinehurst.
Hire yourself a young(ish), up and coming, talented Scottish Golf Architect.
Anyone know any....?

Martin ;)
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 09:29:35 AM »
If I were educated, I'd round up a list of 5-6 archies names that have demonstrated successful remodel/restore work on DR courses.  I'd pay attention to those in your geographic area just for the sake of a greater likelyhood that the local guy is more familiar with subtle nuances of your course and the culture and tradition, and design/construction atmosphere of your local agencies.  Brian Silva comes to mind as a New Englander who has done work on DR courses to mostly good reviews.  But there is Forse, DeVries, and Mungeam as well.  I'd send out invitations to them and see who responds most enthusiastically with the most appealing proposals and apparent sense of your mission...

PS:  I'd make sure I had personally read as much as I could about DR, and have played or toured as many DR courses as possible in the local area too, just to know what DR's tendancies were.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 09:31:39 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 10:00:53 AM »
Mr. Decker,

Are you talking about Whitinsville?  Which is regarded by some as the best 9-hole course in the U.S.?

Rolling Rock did a similar thing.  Considered one of the best 9-holers around, Donald Ross design, brought in foremost Ross restorer, Brian Silva, to do new 9, and isn't nearly as well thought of as original 9, although supposedly the land was quite different - more 'mountain-like'.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 11:02:05 AM »
I don't think you could go wrong with any of the names mentioned, but sooner or later Kris Spence should enter this mix.

Steve Curry

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 11:09:26 AM »
Hey Bob,

Where ya goin, the cemetary??  ::)

I was thinking about that as I left the other day!!

Steve

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 11:16:35 AM »
I would love to do a "new Ross nine" somewhere someday, but only if the land for the second nine really suited it.

If it's Whitinsville, though, I hope you just pass on the opportunity.  I don't think anyone should expand it.  It's too special as it is.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2003, 11:26:36 AM »
According to golfcourse.com, Ross-designed 9-holers in New England include:

Carter CC*, Lebanon, NH
Cohasse CC, Southbridge, MA
Fresh Pond GC, Cambridge, MA
Greenock CC*, Lee, MA
Lucerne Hills*, East Holden, ME
Needham GC, Needham, MA
North Andover CC, North Andover, MA
Petersham CC*, Petersham, MA
Salem Municipal*, Salem, MA
Tatnuck CC, Worcester, MA
Whitinsville GC, Whitinsville, MA

* public courses

RDecker

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2003, 02:09:28 PM »
No, I am not talking of Whitinsville.  It is very special and I wouldn't want to see it touched.  However the course I'm refering to, Greenock, is also very special and I think it would/will demand the right touch from the right person.  The idea of expanding an excellent 9 holer has it's pros and cons but it is believed by some of the powers that be that 18 holes could be an economic improvement for the club and the piece of land appears to have unlimited potential and be of similar geography.

Steve,  we are looking at property across the street from the cemetary.

Mr. Doak, I'd like to discuss it with you further if you are interested.

SteveTL

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2003, 02:15:44 PM »
Just have Rees do the new and "fix" the original.  Then lobby to host a US Open.

RDecker

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2003, 02:19:34 PM »
Steve TL,

Thanks I needed a laugh, and truthfully if this years women's open site is a viable host then I guess we would be too.  We're only a mile or so from the interstate not tucked away in a quaint N.E. college town.

Steve Curry

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2003, 03:15:19 PM »
AH, as I drove away, just last week for everyone else, I thought about that, very pretty property.  That would be awesome.
 ;)

Steve

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2003, 03:44:29 PM »
RDecker,
I hadn't played Greenock for quite a while but finally got back there with one of my members this summer. You guys are always so busy that adding nine more holes is a great idea! Let me just add that the conditions were superb when we were there.
I think yours has got to be one of the "coziest" golf courses I've ever been on and am I correct in saying that one can see just about every hole from the 6th tee? Have you thought of maintaining that feel if/when you do another nine?  
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

RDecker

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2003, 06:48:32 PM »
Jim,
Thanks for the nice compliment!  It's always nice to hear that people other than my members are enjoying the course.  I hope that the idea of expansion gathers momentum this winter and I think the course could really benefit from expansion if it's done correctly which I will try to facilitate.
If all the rounds were spread out on 18 holes instead of the same 9 I think conditioning would certainly improve and an 18 hole track in southern Berkshire county that people could get on and afford would go over very well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back