News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Zac Blair

Best Golf Experiences
« on: December 30, 2020, 04:20:23 PM »
Would love to get some opinions on what are the key aspects to providing a great golf experience?
Obviously the golf itself has to be great ... but there are some many other things in play that can elevate your experience while visiting somewhere.

Jim Tang

Re: Best Golf Experiences
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 04:51:26 PM »
Being able to stay on the grounds of a great golf course is special.  There is nothing quite like waking up with a full day of golf ahead of you literally just outside your door.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 04:53:17 PM »
The experience and facilities need to fit with the location. The Lodge at Sea Island is wonderful at Sea Island (really St Simons Island) but would be a monstrosity on the Irish or Scottish Coast. Whereas Ballybunion and Lahinch are great experiences with their modest clubhouses and service models in County Clare and Kerry but not so much at Sea Island. Ballyneal is an incredible fit with the look and feel of eastern Colorado. Chechessee Creek works perfectly in the laid-back South Carolina Low Country.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 05:00:36 PM »
How welcoming the club is; am I made to feel more like a member than a guest; do I have to be extraordinarily careful on how I act; is the overall atmosphere, outside the men's grill, rather quiet, unhurried, laid-back.  Is it apparent that the course has been thoughtfully setup for the day's play and maintained to highlight its architecture.  Is the pace of play within a desirable range, for me, on a challenging, but not too difficult course in good weather, 3:30-4:15 depending on the time of day, amount of play and type of competition.  A friendly club culture heavy on tradition, courtesy, etiquette, and improvement.

Drew Harvie

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 05:05:55 PM »
I think the vibe is important, plus any cool, memorable things the club does that sets it apart from other experiences

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 05:12:05 PM »
Zac - welcome back!

I'd say:

- no houses on the course
- walkable
- a good bar/pub type atmosphere, no frills but comfortable and reasonably priced food and drinks
- if private, a no a-hole as members policy
- a good caddie master
- a good bartender
- a great cheeseburger

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 05:18:07 PM »
Well lets see, does it have:

Valet car park with bag drop?
GPS cart with loaded cooler?
Well furnished halfway snack-shack?

;D

Given, I've played the vast majority of my golf on public access courses, I'll focus on that part of it because while having a nearly empty course, a nice members lounge/locker room, and a private bar, are certainly nice, you just ain't getting that on the public side with a few exceptions.

A few things I think that count:
- Fairly secluded/private location, with little housing to muck up the view and ambiance.
- Modest clubhouse that isn't jammed with merchandise in every corner.
- Friendly but small staff that are genuinely helpful when needed.
- Variety of tee placements from hole to hole so all the par 4s aren't 360-400 over and over.
- Facilities that are kept clean and tidy.
- An interesting small patio spot or two, preferably with a decent post round view.
- In a hot weather location like Utah, either plenty of water available, and/or a fairly frequent beverage cart.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 05:20:58 PM »
2 x 18-holes at Muirfield/HCEG with lunch between rounds sitting amongst the members at their 'long tables'.
atb

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 07:02:31 PM »
Secession really hit it on all cylinders for me on my first visit last year.

We stayed upstairs in the clubhouse which has small bedrooms and a shared locker room type bath, closer to YMCA than Ritz. Plus there are other houses on site for those with more demanding expectations.

Entire main level was set up for congregating and groups mixed way more than at most places I’ve been.

The refrigerator next to 16 tee on the honor system is a nice touch.

Place runs like a clock with no evident stress and tons of freedom late in the day for extra holes of golf or drinks or both.

Wagons to take you to town and the fact that they don’t serve dinner is a nice touch as there are great options in town.

The bond between the staff and members is evident and genuine.

I was there before Mike Harmon retired so it was fun to spend sometime with him, Mike has a beyond Mensa Level Golf IQ.  Mike really was key in establishing Secession and its culture.

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 08:04:23 PM »
Fast pace of play

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 08:04:41 PM »
I really like hitting putts and/or eating lunch while watching people tee off and/or play up 18 (and/or 9, but preferably 18).
Senior Writer, GolfPass

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 08:11:23 PM »
Interesting golf with variety and subtle nuances while exploring an interesting, textured property with an intimate routing.
Comfortable rustic lodging with opportunities for congregation.
Friendly staff who don't hover but make themselves available.
Well organized and managed yet very relaxed and flexible operation.
A great Fish House for sunset drinks, fishing,bar games ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Hendren

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 08:46:48 PM »
Glass splatter guards across the bottoms of the urinals.  Ice optional. I’ve got a pic somewhere. Sandwich perhaps?

I am also a sucker for Barbisol comb jars and Clubman Pinaud powder. Seriously.

I really like the lawn set-up between the final green and clubhouse at Chechessee Creek.

Bogey
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 09:21:48 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ira Fishman

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 08:54:05 PM »
Mid Pines and Pine Needles is the model in the US for public accessible. Good people, good food and drink, and great soul. Money pretty much an afterthought.

[size=78%]Ira [/size]

Jim Tang

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 09:59:54 PM »
I second a warm and inviting atmosphere where people feel welcome vs. a place that has you walking on egg shells.  I also second a walkable routing.  I think having the pro shop, putting green, first tee and perhaps the restaurant/bar/patio area all within steps of one another creates an environment of connectedness and community.  Who doesn't love a firepit?

Troy Miller

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2020, 10:31:19 PM »

Experiences are equally form and function, and for me creating great 'spaces' on and around a course that are properly programmed (enter function and well versed, like minded operators) - whether it be a junction of holes, the relationship between the 18th green, 1st tee, putting green, the arrival, or the lodging.  Proximity in the properly orchestrated environment will create energy that is memorable.   

Interestingly, sometimes the uniquity of some the best experiences are born out of challenges posed by physical restraints whether it be a carriage ride back to the clubhouse after a remote 18th green, Or hitting your 1st tee ball with your rear end very near someone's turtle soup.   

For me it begins at whatever point you can control - for some, that may be the parking lot, for some it may be your entry gate, for few others that may be the tarmac. There is also something really romantic about railroad tracks.

That being said, Yeamans Hall is about as experiential (and for me, spiritual) of a place there is in the game. 

The entry drive through Davant Plantation's ancients oaks in route to Congaree is special. 

The winding mile long drive to Doonbeg which includes crossing a moat that dug in order to build a bridge to go over is, unique. Coincidentally, I have often gotten the comment "Best Showers Ever" about Doonbeg which may be akin to calling a hot dog "the best meal you've ever eaten", only because it came at the end of a week long hunger strike.

Speaking of food, while its important that it be good, the atmosphere it is consumed in seems way more important to me in the golf setting, so a signature drink, soup, burger, shake, are fine and well, but turn the lights out and watch a lighting show if you want to create a memory. 

The "vibe" or "feel" of a place is something that is really difficult to get right because it can't be forced, but it elevates, almost levitates, a place when it is.       

Jim Hoak

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2020, 10:32:30 PM »
A great locker room/grille attendant who doubles as a concierge, able to help you with restaurant reservations, car rentals, plane tickets, sports tickets, etc.

Pat Burke

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 12:33:38 AM »
Zac, it’s funny, my favorite experiences run the gamut
Kingston Heath. Great course, great architecture and when I was there, the head professional and his assistant were simply so friendly, I couldn’t wait to go to the course each day

The Bridges a Rancho Santa Fe (again 10+ years ago)
Over the top place, but to me, the staff pulled it off.  Welcomed by name, unreal friendly place, but for me, I loved the solitude for practicing with great golf balls and great conditions.

Goose Creek. Public course, inexpensive and you know it will be in pretty decent shape, be fun to play and play at a good pace   
It’s like playing golf at Cheers, they have a friendly and comfortable culture

So I’m no help at all 🤣

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2020, 12:55:56 AM »
Time.

Time for features to soften, for memories to accrue, for the buildings to age. Time enough for a long list of past club champions, and for the first club pro to have long since retired -- but still hold honorary membership for life.

I haven't played many great courses, but I have played a few courses where I felt very comfortable and at home -- and all of them had a kind of natural, well-earned aura and an honest patina that can only come with time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 01:12:18 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2020, 07:10:56 AM »
IDEAL

Routed to be easily walked

Tees near greens, very few if any walk back tees, basically for very strong players looking for added challenge which includes a carry and or difficult angle. Never make average Joe walk back

Start and finish in front of the house

At least two starting points of different hole numbers ie 12/6 or 13/5 etc creates boozer loops

If it makes sense, public accessible paths thru course and the land perhaps used for other purposes beside golf

For privates routing allows for cutting out holes back to the house

No more than 3 sets of tees ideally in the main to take advantage of different angles or give options to avoid harsh carries

Small, but comfortable house

As little friction between the car and 1st tee as possible, few staff

Basic food made from high quality ingredients

Small selection of booze, beer and wine that can change

Breakfast and lunch only except for the odd occasion

No table service during known slow times, folks can walk to the bar to order

Good outside seating that is heated if necessary

Small locker room with a few showers

Competitions kept to a minimum to encourage friendly, fast golf

If private early times reserved for 2 ball play unless not filled

Happy Hockey
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:36:19 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2020, 07:26:44 AM »
Agree with the less-is-more sentiments above and would add:  short walk between green and the next tee.

JESII

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2020, 08:10:58 AM »
Zac, considering your efforts with The Buck Club, I think the question has to be back to you.

Plenty of folks here have opinions, and that market research can be helpful as you round out your plans, but I have to believe your core feelings and intentions must be the most important.

What have been your best golf experiences?

archie_struthers

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2020, 08:41:04 AM »
 ;D

I think Sean hit it pretty good

but I love competition, so game on

simple but really good food

fast play much preferable

Attentive staff

cool putting green

John Foley

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 08:41:15 AM »
As long as the golf is great these are the things that I've seen which add to the experience:

- the right mix on the consumption side. I don't need a carving station on every third tee, 15 places to get more alcohol. Simple halfway house and a cooler is all you need. We're golfing and not at a wedding reception.

- Love the the sand mix on the tee's to encourage self maintenance.

- Water pails near the start & turn to wet your towel. Shouldn't need to run to the bathroom or find a hose.

- A large painting / rendering of the course along with individual design notes of the holes. Again were here to golf.

- More outside use, food outside if at all possible. Deck / patio, somewhere to watch other matches finish.

- Staff who knows you and you know them.

- Lack of crowds. I don't need a 20 some playing alternate shot. You can do it but the solitude of a group late in the day is the best feeling.

- If you provide lodging you need to have great towels and showers but then again that's going to turn into an arms race.

Best of luck w/ the endeavor, hope you hit a grand slam!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Zac Blair

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 08:55:05 AM »
Zac, considering your efforts with The Buck Club, I think the question has to be back to you.

Plenty of folks here have opinions, and that market research can be helpful as you round out your plans, but I have to believe your core feelings and intentions must be the most important.

What have been your best golf experiences?

[/size][size=78%] [/size]
[/size][size=78%]The club will be used by people other than just me so making sure you’ve at least heard/understood some other things people find important has always been a goal.  [/size]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back