News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Greensboro, Ga. (April 11, 2023) - Acclaimed golf course architect Tom Fazio is returning to Reynolds Lake Oconee. The world-famous designer has completed plans for nine holes that will join his existing Bluff nine on The National course to create an entirely new 18-hole layout.
[/size]The original, Fazio-designed 18-hole National course opened in 1997. In 2000, its two nines, The Ridge and The Bluff, were joined by an additional nine holes—called The Cove—allowing for various combinations of play.[/color]
[/size]The existing 27 holes make use of the natural rolling terrain, highlighted by hardwood forests, streams, ponds, and views of Lake Oconee. The combined nines also provide plenty of challenge, with any of the pairings boasting more bunkers than any of the five other courses at Reynolds Lake Oconee. For these and many other reasons, The National course has consistently been cited by Golfweek as one of America’s Top Residential Courses.[/color]
[/size]The future 18-hole course will utilize the existing Bluff nine along with adjacent land distinguished by a creek, large natural boulders, and an existing pond. The land slopes gradually down toward a cove of Lake Oconee with more than 100 feet of elevation change. This will be the only course at Reynolds Lake Oconee to traverse both sides of the peninsula and touch the lake from both Richland Creek and Oconee River.[/color]
[/size]Read more:[/color]
[/size]Reynolds Lake Oconee: New Tom Fazio golf course | The First Call (firstcallgolf.com)[/color]
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Gallant

Re: New Tom Fazio golf course coming to Reynolds Lake Oconee, GA
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 03:32:01 AM »
From a Golf Course Architecture article on the build:

“My goal is always to create distinctive, one-of-a-kind golf courses,” said Fazio. “There’s a lot of terrain variation – lots of ups and downs, ins and outs, twists and turns – which is great for golf. That’s what makes this such a fine natural setting.”

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 08:54:21 AM »
From a Golf Course Architecture article on the build:

“My goal is always to create distinctive, one-of-a-kind golf courses,” said Fazio. “There’s a lot of terrain variation – lots of ups and downs, ins and outs, twists and turns – which is great for golf. That’s what makes this such a fine natural setting.”
There is much irony here.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 01:52:30 PM »
I've never been there but was just looking at their website and it seems like a pretty cool spot? Has anyone played the Jim Engh course? I've only played his course at Snowmass, and it was fun with a distinctly unique look to the bunkering. I've got to imagine one of his courses in Georgia would stand out compared to the more traditional design style of many courses in the southeast.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 02:51:21 PM »
It's a nice place to go play golf. I don't think any of the courses are really noteworthy or especially great, but they're solid (probably Doak 5s, maybe one 6), the setting is beautiful, and the conditions are generally excellent.

I think the Jim Engh course is fully private, though. I'm pretty sure it's the course blocked off and solely accessible for members and their guests.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 04:28:43 PM »
It's a nice place to go play golf. I don't think any of the courses are really noteworthy or especially great, but they're solid (probably Doak 5s, maybe one 6), the setting is beautiful, and the conditions are generally excellent.

I think this is a spot on assessment.  And I wouldn't expect a new Fazio to change a single thing.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 05:36:17 PM »
He is a good guy that has done nice golf courses for a long time.  Hopefully this site will go easy on him after all he has had to endure over the last couple of years.  BTW I saw them begin to clear timber on the course Wednesday...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2023, 07:41:44 PM »
Dan,

I played the Engh course many years ago during a Dixie Cup; Lou Duran’s buddy was building a house there and sponsored us. Definitely out of the box but fun. There were many of his “muscle bunkers”, cross shaped greens and his trademark bowled green par 3. You don’t aim for the pin but hit to the side of it and have your ball roll back and forth 2 or 4 times laterally; 3 chances for a hole in one with one shot! The par 5 18th hole has 3 different greens!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 11:01:14 AM »
My wife and I went there in 2010 for a weekend with our two kids.

One and done.

Loved the hotel and the party vibe it pulls off while also being very kid-friendly.
But, the golf is what I would call "institutional resort" quality.

Neither remarkable nor offensive.

Played three rounds and only recall maybe 2-3 holes.... ;D
Really fast golf carts!

Fazio is THEE perfect architect for that place...;-)
If Art Hills was still alive, he may have got the gig...;-)

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 02:01:48 PM »
I've never been there but was just looking at their website and it seems like a pretty cool spot? Has anyone played the Jim Engh course? I've only played his course at Snowmass, and it was fun with a distinctly unique look to the bunkering. I've got to imagine one of his courses in Georgia would stand out compared to the more traditional design style of many courses in the southeast.

I played the Creek Club with Jim and Forrest Richardson the day after the ASGCA annual meeting in 2013. Jim had six birdies in the first seven holes. I had a lot of fun, but remember Jim’s amazing golf and the good company better than I do the golf course.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 06:29:37 AM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

archie_struthers

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 05:38:48 PM »
 8)

I might be an outlier but have always liked most of Fazio's golf courses that I have seen. Galloway National in our area is probably the nicest course at the Jersey Shore . Probably enjoyed World Woods more than a lot from what I've read.

Caddied for Tom many times when at PV ....he treated me very well.  Can't say I love the  all stuff at PV that has been done but I'm a purest when it comes to that place

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 02:12:05 PM »

I think this is a spot on assessment.  And I wouldn't expect a new Fazio to change a single thing.

Agreed.  Cuscowilla is much better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back