News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Treitler

Re: UPDATE 06 SEPT - 2021 Midwest Mashie - Harvester GC
« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2021, 08:52:03 PM »
What time  are people going off tomorrow morning?  I know I’m Playing but don’t know what time.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2021, 09:07:04 PM »
Morning tee-times start at 9:10. I told them we had 4 groups going out in the morning. So times would be 9:10, 9:20, 9:30, and 9:40.

It's unlikely you'll get 18 in before the main event starts.

I'm trying to arrange the times based on the match times for the main event, but wanted to at least get the time out.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2021, 09:40:11 PM »
Saturday AM Times:

9:10
Joe Perches
Steve Griefs
Bradley Hills
Mike Trietler

9:20
Jake Marvin
Jeff Shelman
Jason Topp
John Mayhugh

9:30
Steve Salmen
Buck Wolter
George Freeman
Vaughn Haylard

9:40
Lou Duran
Bill Steele
Charles Lund
Jay Mickle
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 10:12:30 PM by Criss Titschinger »

Bill Seitz

« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2021, 12:48:53 AM »
What time does the main event start?  I'm driving over from Chicago.  I assumed noon, but would like to know for sure.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2021, 08:43:06 AM »
Officially, tee times for the main event begin today at noon.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2021, 09:47:48 PM »
Tomorrow's singles matches and groupings, with Match 1 starting at 8a.

Match 1
Salmen vs Duran 3
Seitz vs Wolf 7

Match 2
Hill 3 vs Flory
Moore 1 vs Treitler

Match 3
Greif vs Studer 3
Shelman vs Melchiors 3

Match 4
Wolter 7 vs Marvin
Titschinger vs McCarthy

Match 5
Topp 5 vs Perches
Lund vs Mickle 6

Match 6
Freeman vs Thurman
Halyard vs Steele 7

Match 7
Sekulic vs Woodward 8
Clawson 10 vs Mayhugh
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

PCCraig

« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2021, 10:38:03 PM »
Uhhhh....who's winning??
H.P.S.

John McCarthy

« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2021, 11:35:02 PM »
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Jason Thurman

« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2021, 05:57:32 PM »
It was all knotted at 4 after day 1. And I think that's how we should remember this Mashie... before things went sideways.

PCCraig

« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2021, 09:02:58 PM »
Updates!?!?!
H.P.S.

Charles Lund

« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2021, 09:34:19 PM »
Thanks to Vaughn and everyone who put the event together.  I had a great time.

Charles Lund

Bill Seitz

« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2021, 10:49:07 AM »
Updates!?!?!

I left before all the scores were in, but it sounds like the West won.  Was definitely trending that way. 

Thanks to Vaughn, Jason, Criss, The Jensen family, and all involved in putting this together.  Harvester was a really fun course with some really cool features, and a great, rolling property.  Conditions were absolutely perfect, and the greens were lightning (up to the user to decide if that's perfect or not).  18th hole was certainly unique and I'd love to try to play it a number of different ways.  The holes where the tees were set right off on, and in some cases right on the previous green were really cool.  I thought the course was very visually appealing, and I really like the small clubhouse.  As a member at a course where we've had a temporary clubhouse for 20 years, the clubhouse at the Harvester, checked most of my boxes for what I'd like to see built.  A few showers, a small locker room, a nice dining area, deck, and pro shop is perfect.

And as always, great to see a number of old faces along with a few new ones as well. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 10:31:42 PM by Bill Seitz »

Peter Flory

« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2021, 11:12:15 AM »
Here are a few photos (taken with my phone). 

Andrew Calcutt from the bunker.  This was one of the rare holes that he did not birdie. 

I don't have a picture of it, but Dan Moore's up and down on the 17th hole of his singles match was the filthiest thing that I've seen on a golf course this year. 

Mike Treitler

« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2021, 11:28:13 AM »
I echo the sentiment of Peter and Bill and Charles.   What a wonderful weekend and thank you so much to Vaughn, Criss, Jason and anybody else who helped to put this together.  It was great to see many of you that I haven't seen since the Prairie Dunes Mashie.

I absolutely loved the course.   The visual presentation was stunning, the conditions immaculate and a very fun routing.  I loved that the greens ran at about a 13.5 as it created a unique challenge.   

The view from the tips on 11 was one of the better views I have seen in golf that didn't have an ocean or a mountain.  Just stunning.

I also will add that Dan's up and down from the bunker on 17 was filthy and quite painful ;) .   Well done Dan!

I couldn't figure out how to post it but I encourage everyone to take a look at the pics on the harvester website as there is a tee box that plays over the water on #5 that looks incredible.  You can see it better from the #6 photos.  I wish I would have walked back there.

https://www.theharvesterclub.com/aboutus
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 11:39:21 AM by Mike Treitler »

Bill Seitz

« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2021, 11:38:08 AM »
I couldn't figure out how to post it but I encourage everyone to take a look at the pics on the harvester sight as there is a tee box that plays over the water on #5 that looks incredible.  You can see it better from the #6 photos.  I wish I would have walked back there.

I think that's actually the back tee box on 7.  Or based on position of the single tee marker (typically behind a right handed player), more likely a back tee box on #1?

Josh Woodward

« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2021, 04:47:07 PM »
First time "poster", long time fan...just want to say "Thank you" to EVERYONE. I greatly appreciate my mentor, V_Halyard's guidance and direction in all things golf, and his recommendation that I attend the 2021 Midwest Masie was a perfect introduction to this part of the World Wide Golf Web.

Thank you for accepting me into the fold. It was nice to be able to put faces to so many names I have known about for years.Thank you to everyone who took time to listen to our golf project story. As I mentioned to a few of you at the closing meal, this type of Brotherhood-bonding has been a missing piece in my life for quite some time. The golf was great, but the conversations were greater. Happy to be in the club!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 07:08:08 AM by Josh Woodward »
"The game does more to bring out the finer points in a man’s character than any other sport…a country which gets golf-minded need not worry about the honor, the integrity and the honesty of its people." - Donald J. Ross

John McCarthy

« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2021, 06:02:35 PM »
To all the organizers and our various hosts, add another heartfelt thank you.  It was a great.  All the courses, all the camaraderie, all the competition, all the talk.  Just great. 

The drive home was difficult but after stopping off for a slice of gas station pizza in Rock Falls i knew all was well.  I even passed my covid rapid test when I got home. 

Lads, see you next year.   

On edit:  the grounds staff and mother nature deserve a standing ovation.  Each of my caddies were the highest standard and worth the money. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 06:40:37 PM by John McCarthy »
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Jason Topp

« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2021, 06:07:03 PM »
Terrific pictures Peter.  You capture a sense of the downhill nature of 7 and the uphill nature of the 15th appropriately titled “big hog.”  That only happens to me by random chance.

As a regular at the Harvester when it was public, it was a pleasure to see it after a refresh.   

I have a special fondness for holes like the 13th that ride a ridge(the last of Peter’s pictures).  Short hole with a wide playing area but small optimal line off the tee. 

The best part of the weekend was catching up with long time friends. 

Thanks to Vaughn and Crew for making this happen.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2021, 09:50:42 PM »
Another great Mashie weekend. Many thanks to Vaughn, Thurm and Criss for organizing.

Harvester is quite good. So firm and fast (some of the fastest greens I have ever putted, especially in the afternoon when they dry out). And the place is a really good combination of simple, but nice. Lots of really good stuff here.

And it was great to see everyone. Always a good crew and a good time.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2021, 11:40:55 AM »
I'm getting a kick out of viewing Harvester on HistoricAerials.com. A few items of interest:

• The course saw some fairly significant changes from its original design through about 2011 when I first played it. While the routing and basic strategy of the holes has stayed intact throughout, some interesting tweaks happened in that first 10 years. The "burn" on 9 used to be a pretty huge inlet. 18 originally featured a true "island" layup fairway that had evolved to something much more similar to the current layout by 2011. And 16 saw several tweaks to its fairway mowing lines before the eventual move to fill in the ditch that cut across it.
  • It's interesting to note that the land on which 18 sits is almost entirely engineered. On a course where the huge majority of holes follow the natural and "big" topography of the land, I continue to think the closer is a pretty elegant way to get back to the clubhouse when considering the options available. I like the hole quite a bit, although I certainly understand criticism that it's a little severe on layup width. And I'll mention that, after hitting two of my very best shots of the week on approaches from 200+ yards (sadly, both 4th shots...), and watching both get shoved off into the left side bunker after landing online with the flag, I do wonder if a little helping slope that pushes a ball toward the opening of the green might have been a little more of a fun touch.
  • Vaughn mentioned the significant tree clearing that happened with the big renovation, and there were a lot of views that seemed more open than I remembered. A look at aerials from the public days reveals a lot of action on that front. It's not so much that the trees encroached on lines of play, but the views opened up across the huge property are really spectacular.
Just some interesting observations I noticed on a property that has a pretty detailed set of aerials going back over the last 40 years and particularly through the 20 years or so that the course has existed.

V_Halyard

« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2021, 06:34:49 PM »
First time "poster", long time fan...just want to say "Thank you" to EVERYONE. I greatly appreciate my mentor, V_Halyard's guidance and direction in all things golf, and his recommendation that I attend the 2021 Midwest Masie was a perfect introduction to this part of the World Wide Golf Web.

Thank you for accepting me into the fold. It was nice to be able to put faces to so many names I have known about for years.Thank you to everyone who took time to listen to my Tumblebrook Golf Course story. As I mentioned to a few of you at the closing meal, this type of Brotherhood-bonding has been a missing piece in my life for quite some time. The golf was great, but the conversations were greater. Happy to be in the club!

You have found "your people".  Your people is us.  ;)
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Dan Moore

Re: WEST WINS 2021 Midwest Mashie - The Harvester + a Davenport/Cedar Rapids/36
« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2021, 09:28:34 PM »
It was a great couple of days for this  weary golfer.

Thanks and a big high five to Vaughn George Jason Criss and the folks at Harvester.

Cedar Rapids was super fun old school Ross with a huge assist from the derecho. It really shows how going all the way with tree removal impacts a golden age course designed before all the trees were planted.

I really enjoyed match play on Harvester. The width off the tee made it really fun to play even in Sunday’s winds. The greens were tough at 13.5 but fair. If I had any criticism it would be how 18 around the lake didn’t really fit with the esthetic of the rest of the course.

Speaking of filthy, Flory(4) and Calcutt(7) having  11 birdies against  me and Brad Hill Saturday was a thing of golfing beauty.

[/size][size=78%]Great weekend, glad I dragged my tired self to Iowa.  [/size]
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #172 on: September 22, 2021, 05:13:12 PM »
Another successful Mashie in the books!

As always, thank you to our gracious hosts: The Harvester Club, Davenport CC, and Cedar Rapids CC. Also big thanks to Vaughn, George, and Jason for their pre-event organization. And thanks to all the attendees while we worked through logistics with getting our groups organized with the caddy staff and off the tee(s). Next year, I'm bringing a laptop. The phone just doesn't cut it.

The Midwest Mashie IS my golf trip each year. Despite the many changes that have happened in my life in the past 12 months, I wasn't going to miss this for the world. That being said, there were times in 2021 where I wasn’t sure where golf fit in my life. A lot has changed in the 13 years since I joined GCA as one of the “youth movement”. Now, I'm part of the old guard. However, as I’ve also learned this year, golf, and golf course architecture, still have a very special place in my heart. Seeing fresh faces like Josh Woodward gleam about course architecture and attending his first Mashie was looking back at a mirror of myself from the 2014 Mashie at Canterbury. That made me smile.

I enjoyed seeing old friends, and also meeting new people; talking golf, architecture, and just general life. Equally, I miss those that I’ve met previously who couldn’t make it. I miss those who are no longer with us (Howard).

No sport, not even my precious soccer/football, gives me this feeling. Thurman calls my soccer coaching a “mid-life crisis”. Perhaps, and it definitely takes away from golf. But as the year’s gone on, I can say unequivocally that golf will never disappear from my life.

For most of you, you missed a truly epic Sunday afternoon round at Harvester. The wind was howling; much more so than the morning. I contemplated putting from 140 yards on the ridge hole 13, and I probably should have. When Thurman mentioned on Saturday it was the calmest he’d ever played Harvester, I wondered how much wind they actually can get. I found out exactly how much in that round.

Hope to see all of you next year, wherever we end up. And next year, the East is getting that damn Mashie out of Vaughn’s trunk.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2021, 10:42:49 AM »
In response to Criss, Josh, Vaughn, and others noting the unique camaraderie of the Mashie.

Every late summer since 2012, I look up and realize the golf season is starting to dwindle. Days are getting shorter, the air gets just a little cooler, and a tinge of sadness creeps in knowing that winter is coming. But as that sadness arrives, the joy of knowing that the Mashie has finally drawn near arrives with it.

The one year I missed was 2017 - the previous visit to Iowa. I was really looking forward to that one, but life got busy. Work got exhausting. New home construction created a mountainous to-do list and tons of stress. I played two tournaments in July that year. I was playing well! After the second tournament, I put the clubs away. I didn't touch them again for months. I withdrew from the Mashie, and from golf, and thought seriously about selling the clubs and dumping the game altogether. Too much time, too much money.

I played sporadically in 2018, and waffled on whether I'd go to Minnesota or not. But I did. And I found something there. I found it in two pre-Mashie rounds at White Bear with Shelman and Matty B. I found it at Midland Hills Friday morning walking along with Dan Kelly and TK. I found it at Northland, rain or shine, freezing or blazing. It wasn't just about the golf. I was rusty and didn't play particularly well. But there was so much joy in the walk, in the competition of a friendly match, and around tables at dinner and in halfway houses where we sought shelter from the elements. I reconnected with old friends, and met new ones. I felt the brotherhood again.

When I got home, I realized what had been missing wasn't great architecture, or great play, but that unique social connection that golf fosters. I joined my home club. The three years since have been my favorite golfing years of my life.

When Josh talks about how he's spent a few years tackling life responsibilities, I relate to the discipline and trudgery of that journey. And when he talks about the joy of getting in a weekend with "the boys," I relate to that deeply too. In a real way, the Mashie has transformed my golfing life over and over. My wife used to call you guys "a bunch of dorks from the internet." She still does, but she also recognizes about a dozen names now, and I think she's almost forgotten that we ever didn't know each other personally.

When I tease Criss about his midlife crisis, it's partly because I like busting balls (which is why Mashie Saturday Night is one of my favorite annual evenings). But it's also because the form of his midlife crisis illustrates the guy that he really is. Some guys act out by heading for a (hypothetical) BYOB strip club and catching crabs from a dancer (literally) named Mickle in the Flying J bathroom. Criss thinks of ways he can be more involved with his daughters. As the guy his wife proclaimed to be the worst influence among his friends, I have to remind him that he should play more golf. But damn if I don't respect the priorities he actually holds.

Y'all are my people, and I'm honored to be yours. I literally hope to see all of you sooner than next year. Don't be strangers if you get near the Ohio Valley. And otherwise, I so look forward to meeting up again in 2022 and beyond.

V_Halyard

« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2021, 02:12:07 PM »
In response to Criss, Josh, Vaughn, and others noting the unique camaraderie of the Mashie.

Y'all are my people, and I'm honored to be yours. I literally hope to see all of you sooner than next year. Don't be strangers if you get near the Ohio Valley. And otherwise, I so look forward to meeting up again in 2022 and beyond.
No doubt. I was chatting with GCA Newbie Josh Woodward some weeks ago about a project we are working on together. He was weighing his available time as a new Dad and other golf industry commitments including interning we set him up with the phenomenal Glen Murray.
Josh was contemplating doing R&D course visits and/or attending various golf industry events. 
I of course weighed in with, you don't have that much extra time, your best investment would be a religious retreat known as the "Midwest Mashie."
The golf architecture geek camaraderie at a Mashie or a BUDA is unparalleled.
Plus, the bonus of late night conversation like the one betwixt Salman, Thurm, and Brad Hill regarding the pros and cons of...  well... things... is unequaled.

Josh, Welcome to GCA. As Jason T, Criss T, Thurm and the others earlier in the thread have indicated, we are your people.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 02:16:06 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back